DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

As the women are getting one match a show on Dynamite and Rampage, it would be nice if either Dark or Elevation evolved into a women's show where they advanced storylines and stuff mattered. Or they could always add another YouTube show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

As the women are getting one match a show on Dynamite and Rampage, it would be nice if either Dark or Elevation evolved into a women's show where they advanced storylines and stuff mattered. Or they could always add another YouTube show.

Three hours of regular TV, split among two shows, is the perfect amount to me (still plenty of time to advance key storylines and give matches time without over exposing the roster, even as it keeps getting deeper). However, creating/rebranding a Youtube show for the women's roster makes sense, and you can air a feature package on the main shows from that program along with the usual 2-3 women's matches each week. I'd still love for Rampage to get a better time slot (and would personally love a switch to 6:05 on Saturday on TBS for the WCW/JCP fan in me).

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Three hours of regular TV, split among two shows, is the perfect amount to me (still plenty of time to advance key storylines and give matches time without over exposing the roster, even as it keeps getting deeper). However, creating/rebranding a Youtube show for the women's roster makes sense, and you can air a feature package on the main shows from that program along with the usual 2-3 women's matches each week. I'd still love for Rampage to get a better time slot (and would personally love a switch to 6:05 on Saturday on TBS for the WCW/JCP fan in me).

Dedicating a youtube show for the womens would be seen as sexist. I would expect to see going forward an extra segment on Dynamite for the women. Rampage is still in its infancy- but i think they will move some story advancements youd see on Dynamite over to Rampage to make room for more women.

CM Punk footed the bill himself for the ice cream bars that were given at AEW Rampage this past Friday.

In an Instagram post, Pretty Cool Ice Cream, a local ice cream shop in Chicago, said CM Punk footed the bill himself for the ice cream that was provided at the end of the show.

“Since we have been getting a lot of questions, yes the ice cream was on him- it wasn’t a publicity stunt dreamed up by promoters,” they wrote. “He came to us on his own and asked us to help him do this 2 years ago, and finally the moment was right. Our small team worked tirelessly to hand make every bar, and CM Punk wrote the check for the entire bill himself.”

Punk made his debut for AEW at Friday’s Rampage: The First Dance, held at the United Center in Chicago. Towards the end of promo, Punk said that seven years is a long time to wait for someone, and said that fans could pick up a free ice cream bar on the way out of the arena.

During the promo, Punk also called out Darby Allin for a match at All Out, which will take place on September 5 in Chicago. Allin accepted the match.

Good on CM Punk.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

He still hasn’t signed a contract beyond the SummerSlam weekend extension, according to SRS.

Common sense tells me that after tonight, he's on his way out. Unless they jobbed him to head to Raw/Smackdown which I highly doubt. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peck said:

Common sense tells me that after tonight, he's on his way out. Unless they jobbed him to head to Raw/Smackdown which I highly doubt. 

It sounds like a given that he's going to AEW, which really just means he's going to Raw, which probably means he's going to,  uh, Impact? 

I don’t necessarily want to see Cole in AEW, but I’m all here for more excitement in my wrestling and there’s no denying the dude is over as fuck. Maybe getting away from HBK produced matches will make me care about Cole, who knows. Honestly never see any of his stuff pre-NXT - maaaaybe one or two, but if I have, I can’t remember the matches.

There’s someone on the AEW subreddit seriously fantasy booking and predicting that Cole coming in will lead to Marty Scrull signing and debuting ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I don’t necessarily want to see Cole in AEW, but I’m all here for more excitement in my wrestling and there’s no denying the dude is over as fuck. Maybe getting away from HBK produced matches will make me care about Cole, who knows. Honestly never see any of his stuff pre-NXT - maaaaybe one or two, but if I have, I can’t remember the matches.

Prior to NXT Cole was a generic indie wrestler but with charisma and presence (shining wizards and Canadian destroyers for days bb). Then he added the HBK shenanigans in NXT and I was out. He'd be exciting as you say but I don't love the idea from an in-ring perspective. Dark and Elevation are going to need lower card storylines and fewer squashes if they keep signing people, even with the roster rotation. I am okay with this. Tony Khan's sleep pattern I'm sure wouldn't be but oh well he can delegate.

Was a bit confused by the comment saying women having a YouTube show is sexist. If they were just relegated to YouTube then yeah, I get that, but having a dedicated hour block of content for them on top of the one match on TV they get would be huge. Most of them need all the reps they can get and it would really force the bookers to start thinking of some compelling storylines for the women. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 9:24 AM, AxB said:

See, a lot of people are pitching the idea that Danielson has a stable of technical submission guys around him, like Garcia and Yuta. But if they lean into silly Danielson and put him with the babyface half of the divided Dark Order (Silver & Reynolds & 5), that would also work.

Or how about Danielson forms a pod of dolphins?

44 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Cole is a solid enough lad, but there are plenty of people already in the AEW midcard I'd rather see.

Same. I wouldn't sign Adam Vole. The Cole/Gargano trilogy along with Cole/Ciampa match formula sucked. I've skipped all the Cole/O'Reilly singles series.

Edited by The Natural

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
Just now, The Natural said:

Same. I wouldn't sign Adam Vole. The Cole/Gargano trilogy along with Cole/Ciampa match formula sucked. I've skipped all the Cole/O'Reilly singles series.

Not signing Adam Vole would be shrew-d move.