DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

14 hours ago, kafkonia said:

If the Acclaimed was in serious danger, they wouldn't be booking Bowens on Unrestricted. They'd keep him out of sight for a while. Remember, they used a Shot of Brandi to progress the Dark Order/Rhodes feud.

Is it supposed to be for this week?  I checked just now and they have Justin Roberts instead.

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Dwayne Johnson's lucky the Cancel Culture mob weren't out in force during his day. He'd have been off TV quicker than he could eat a piece of pie. Acclaimed have never really fit AEW anyway. Would Caster be picked up by WWE? Questionable, but he'd be a far better fit there anyway.

Seems very weird that societal norms have shifted over the course of 23 years and things you said back then may no longer be appropriate. Very troubling as I prefer when things stay static forever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Freudian_Slap said:

Seems very weird that societal norms have shifted over the course of 23 years and things you said back then may no longer be appropriate. Very troubling as I prefer when things stay static forever.

You're quite right. Hopefully 2 months of sensitivity training teaches the scripted heel Max Caster the error of his lewd ways, and when he returns he can get onboard with the vanilla slapstick humour across the majority of the other acts on the show. Heaven forbid a comedian like Chappelle ever enter the fray: tears would be shed.

Man, Tony is such a huge baseball fan that him getting to be out there for a first pitch must be a dream come true. The only way it could have been better for him if it were for the Braves at home. I'm glad wrestling is affording all of these opportunities to him again and giving him a second life. Better for people like him than other repugnant pieces of shit like Warrior or Hogan.

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 minutes ago, A_K said:

You're quite right. Hopefully 2 months of sensitivity training teaches the scripted heel Max Caster the error of his lewd ways, and when he returns he can get onboard with the vanilla slapstick humour across the majority of the other acts on the show. Heaven forbid a comedian like Chappelle ever enter the fray: tears would be shed.

"Wahhhh I can't punch down on the marginalized anymore, wahhhh the world's not fair."

1 hour ago, Freudian_Slap said:

Yeah, things would totally be better if we could just continue freely using derogatory terms for homosexuals to describe mundane things, being ok with misogyny, using the r-word, etc. Why ever progress to be better?! Let's stay stuck in the past!

And if your comment was sarcasm, then I apologize.

22 minutes ago, A_K said:

As a professional comedian myself, I like that you mentioned Chappelle a man living off the funny things he said over 10 years ago, that he had to stop saying because white people just couldn't understand it, and now spends his time giving people COVID with Joe Rogan and doing unfunny bits about Transpeople. Someone Max should 100% emulate

Also I never said the he had to do a 2 month sensitivity training (But I do think everyone could do with a little therapy to help process their emotions) and to be completely honest I didn't like the stuff he said but I think it was more misfire than anything. However I do want to save you the pains of being outed as the most Tedious kind of person on earth so anytime you get an urge to say Cancel Culture just switch it out for 'Experiencing the effects of his/her own actions'.

Edited by Freudian_Slap
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 minutes ago, Freudian_Slap said:

As a professional comedian myself, I like that you mentioned Chappelle a man living off the funny things he said over 10 years ago, that he had to stop saying because white people just couldn't understand it, and now spends his time giving people COVID with Joe Rogan and doing unfunny bits about Transpeople. Someone Max should 100% emulate

Considering his current skills, I would imagine the jokes he'd produce about trans people would be one of three things:
- "I identify as [something wacky! perhaps an attack helicopter!]"
- Some form of "ewwwwww! Gross!"
- YOU'RE DELUSIONAL LOOK AT MY EDGY FREEZE PEACH

Very biting. The apex of comedy.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Considering his current skills, I would imagine the jokes he'd produce about trans people would be one of three things:

giphy.gif

A little bit of all the above but oh baby you better believe it is the corniest shit on earth!

10 minutes ago, Freudian_Slap said:

Also I never said the he had to do a 2 month sensitivity training (But I do think everyone could do with a little therapy to help process their emotions) and to be completely honest I didn't like the stuff he said but I think it was more misfire than anything. However I do want to save you the pains of being outed as the most Tedious kind of person on earth so anytime you get an urge to say Cancel Culture just switch it out for 'Experiencing the effects of his/her own actions'.

The problem with all of this is that his promo was taped. So obviously no one in the company had a problem with until the outrage mob came after him.

He’s being scapegoated when he was just doing what he always does. 

The company should either have been honest and stuck with what they had no problem with, or punished and publicly blamed the person responsible for editing the show.

Putting the public blame on the talent and disappearing him when performing edgy raps that go after low hanging fruit is what he always does is wrong.

Also, that outrage mob consisted of an alarming amount of people who didn’t know the outcome of the Duke Lacrosse case but were super upset about the reference. So the outrage was not sincere and driven by sheep following each other with the hopes of getting a dopamine rush from helping take down someone more successful than them.

Here's the fucking line for you dumb fucks who keep bringing up the Duke Lacrosse line and it's the last time I want to see it.

"The Sydals gonna pay the cost, I'mma treat those bitches like Duke Lacrosse"

We all perfectly understand that the Duke Lacrosse team was largely part of a Nancy Grace witch hunt. Except that doesn't matter in this instance considering Max's knowledge of those events seems to be lacking considering that he is using that as a euphemism for raping someone. Not to mention that talking about anyone's vagina is so fucking cheap and gross and it's especially gross when it's in reference to a performer at ringside that didn't know the line was coming.

So you do the fucking math on this one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The problem with all of this is that his promo was taped. So obviously no one in the company had a problem with until the outrage mob came after him.

This kind of thing happens a lot in all areas of consumer products.  A company does something without necessarily giving it enough thought, and they're put in check by public opinion.  It's not about some perceived organized PoLiTiCaLly cOrReCt MoB choosing to be offended about something.

Can we please have a filter for the following?

• SJW
  • PC
  • Outrage Culture
  • Cancel Culture

And while we're discussing comedy that aged like milk, I feel like Chris Rock's bit about "blacks" vs "n_____s" fueled a lot of really shitty white people and Chris should feel bad about that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Eoae said:

I think we've seen that movie.  It ends with Ric getting himself over and Jungle Boy getting repackaged as JB Wallstreet.

Can Marko talk?  I know I've seen Luchasaurus cut a promo, but I don't he's even been a memorable promo.  It seems like, with a gimmick like Jurassic Express, you could bring in someone who could talk.  At the end of the day, though, Jungle Boy is probably best suited to be a babyface and I can't think of that many babyfaces who had a manager do all their talking.  

On the plus side, lack of mic skills might keep Vince from trying to poach him.  I know he's probably short but I'll be surprised if WWE doesn't go after MJF whenever his contract comes up.

(MJF is billed at 5'11 so I'm guessing he's more like 5'8")

Marko can sing at least.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

giphy.gif

Given that Max is a fan of Tegan and Sara, and in the past seems to have liked some positive stuff,  I don't think he'd do anything hateful.

At the very least, I think in his heart of hearts he's one of the good ones, which is why I'm willing to cut some slack.

He did go against Sonny Kiss once on Dark from what I remember.  Ended up with him doing the Botty Butt Cheeks thing which got popular for a bit.

Edited by alstein

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

This kind of thing happens a lot in all areas of consumer products.  A company does something without necessarily giving it enough thought, and they're put in check by public opinion.  It's not about some perceived organized PoLiTiCaLly cOrReCt MoB choosing to be offended about something.

Can we please have a filter for the following?

• SJW
  • PC
  • Outrage Culture
  • Cancel Culture

And while we're discussing comedy that aged like milk, I feel like Chris Rock's bit about "blacks" vs "n_____s" fueled a lot of really shitty white people and Chris should feel bad about that.

The problem is the Twitter mobs aren’t actually reflective of public opinion. The majority of AEW’s audience doesn’t even watch Dark. And of the people that do watch only a small percentage complained. The majority of Twitter users don’t actually tweet. The Twitter mob is just really vocal.

What has happened to the few companies or people that refused to back down to these Twitter outrage mobs?

Nothing because don’t get their dopamine rush and move on to the next thing.

And again, my issue is just scapegoating the talent. If Tony Khan genuinely believes that that the promo was problematic why isn’t it an issue that AEW apparently has a culture that thought that promo was acceptable?

Shouldn’t his management team be sent to sensitivity training too?

I saw that Debbie Malenko is apparently wrestling again and doing a match for the NWA.  I wouldn't mind seeing AEW bring her in for a night or a short program to put over one of the younger women.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

The rest has been covered, so I'll ask: Why the fuck are we fantasy booking comedians on AEW TV? How/why would Chapelle or any of his peers "enter the fray"? Bringing him up is such a bizarre non-sequitur.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1