DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Someone decided to debunk the "AEW signs WWE castoffs" talking point with Spreadsheets and Pie Charts. Thread, if you're into that sort of thing:

Going through all that in Twitter form just doesn't work for me. Couldn't they publish it in a blog somewhere and make it more readable? 

17 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

As far as the referee topic goes, I've always just gone with "each referee chooses how hard to enforce certain rules".

It's no difference than James Harden getting a foul called on him every drive down the lane one game vs. no fouls called the next game. They're the same exact thing, but it comes down to referees discretion. Similar to baseball and strike zones. Not all of them are exactly the same. I see referees like Rick Knox as "this guy wants there to be a legit winner and loser" here vs. "we're gonna let a penalty decide the outcome of this game here". No different than referees "letting them play" and any of you who watch sports know that's a thing. Or UFC referees letting guys get an extra 10 seconds to get back up when they're clearly KO'ed (hey Herb Dean!) lol

Announcers used to say "The ref has a 10 count/DQ at his discretion" which would make sense as to why Austin/Rock wouldn't be counted out being main eventers and all. Or a weapon spot being okay outside the ring but not inside. Similar to "Jordan has the respect of the officials". So I agree with you somewhat. But there are times when the rules are being seemingly being completely ignored or interference being not called when the ref clearly saw it (or should of seen it). Refs in AEW are either made to look like fools (Aubrey being distracted by someone on the ring apron when all hell is breaking loose right behind her) or in the Rick Knox/ young Bucks situation looking like heel Danny Davis. Its a lack of internal consistenty, if they want to go ECW rules in tag matches then lets establish that and stick to it

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

As far as the referee topic goes, I've always just gone with "each referee chooses how hard to enforce certain rules".

It's no difference than James Harden getting a foul called on him every drive down the lane one game vs. no fouls called the next game. They're the same exact thing, but it comes down to referees discretion. Similar to baseball and strike zones. Not all of them are exactly the same. I see referees like Rick Knox as "this guy wants there to be a legit winner and loser" here vs. "we're gonna let a penalty decide the outcome of this game here". No different than referees "letting them play" and any of you who watch sports know that's a thing. Or UFC referees letting guys get an extra 10 seconds to get back up when they're clearly KO'ed (hey Herb Dean!) lol

James Harden the male stripper? They have fouls in stripping now?

America is fucking weird, man.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Dog said:

You believe that's what a 9-year-old thinks about when he's watching wrestling?

Hey man, 9 year olds can be smart marks too!

Edited by Casey

On 8/5/2021 at 12:12 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The whole idea of the belt is that it’s the Fuck The “World Title”, and Taz didn’t give a shit about the real championship, and the guy holding it. Now it’s more like the million dollar title.

OK, i feel like a gigantic idiot. I always viewed the FTW belt as "Fuck the World", or me vs. the world. but seeing it as "Fuck The 'World' Belt" makes so much more sense that i can't believe i missed it, especially after just watching all of ECW. kudos to you, sir.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was hoping Starks would be the one to turn babyface and turn it into a "legitimate" title of some kind, like a Shane Douglas throwing down the NWA title to create the new ECW title kind of thing.

ok, "belt collector" angle aside, can you imagine the uproar if someone threw down another promotion's belt right now? Omega discarding the TNA and/or Impact title, especially on Impact's next PPV or whatever, would certainly garner some media attention. Of course, it would alienate Impact from wanting to work with them again, but i'm just imagining the possibilities....

Rick Knox is the worst referee in the history of pro wrestling. I audibly groan when he's reffing. Yes, i know that's every Bucks match. His methodology actively distracts me and detracts from the match itself.  I'm 100% in favor of the "referee's discretion" loophole, but Knox letting the Bucks do whatever they want in EVERY FUCKING MATCH is absolutely the worst part of AEW for me. It took 18 months or so, but after Double or Nothing this year, i'm not OK with it anymore. and every match just cements that view further.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, twiztor said:

OK, i feel like a gigantic idiot. I always viewed the FTW belt as "Fuck the World", or me vs. the world. but seeing it as "Fuck The 'World' Belt" makes so much more sense that i can't believe i missed it, especially after just watching all of ECW. kudos to you, sir.

I actually figured it out right before I typed that out. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It's 2021, so surely you're talking about Nic. 

I honestly can't remember people's names. 

I worked with a woman for an entire year and never called her by her name because I forgot it after learning it and was too ashamed to ask what it was again.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I honestly can't remember people's names. 

I worked with a woman for an entire year and never called her by her name because I forgot it after learning it and was too ashamed to ask what it was again.

Was it Mulva?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4