DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

We really gotta irradiate this term "X-Pac heat". Waltman is the man. He had like one shitty six month run in X-Factor that sucked. 20 years later that shouldn't be what his legacy is. Just say "Go Away heat" instead. He deserves better.

I'd like to rename it "Kevin Dunn heat"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

We really gotta irradiate this term "X-Pac heat". Waltman is the man. He had like one shitty six month run in X-Factor that sucked. 20 years later that shouldn't be what his legacy is. Just say "Go Away heat" instead. He deserves better.

It should be renamed “Uncle Kracker heat”.  The song was 9/10ths of the heat.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Life was less complicated when I (possibly We?) watched wrestling that was broadcast in Spanish or Japanese.  For a majority of the 2000s that was better than most alternatives broadcast in English.  I don’t speak Spanish or Japanese but move names are universally the same around the world.  Wrestling is “spoken” as a visual language and body language can fill in the gaps as far as feuds and getting over personality goes.

Very few promos or mic workers in the PG era left a lasting positive impression on me.  It was encouraging just how good ROH/PWG/indies workers were.  Sami Zayn spoke (in English) for the first time in WWE.  Daniel Bryan became a great talker without a gimmick or style to his promos. He was good before WWE, especially as a heel, He was just assumed that his promos were subpar because he had few catchphrases and he didn’t put himself out there as flamboyant.  

Rapping (or singing) is not cutting a promo,r Cens and Mr Caster, they are both more charismatic speaking like a normal overgrown teenager would.  Hopefully Caster does more of it…unless it is one of their music videos from Dark.  Those spots actually get the feud over.

The funny thing is a lot of western NJPW fans are mad at EVIL right now (for reasons other than being a shitty Memphis heel), he apparently used a gay slur on Shingo recently.

Caster's raps got him over, Caster and Bowens are greater than the sum of their parts, they're a much better version of the NAO.  I do think we're getting a full video on the Blondes since that is going to be built up.

That said, I'll take Caster's in-character cringe over the Blondes IRL cringe any day of the week

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

If people are slashing his tires that actually means he’s getting good, real heat because people care and so will pay to see him get his ass kicked.

You do know that the Cane Dewey sign was some wrong shit regardless of how great of a ring heel that Foley was, right?

Pro wrestling is patently offensive so that we can all make fun of the shit together and maybe have some not quite so uncomfortable conversations about the stuff.   This is pro wrestling's highest calling and I fully support crazy ass and horribly stereotypical wrestling tropes like the International Hierarchy of Headbutting with Samoans and Pacific Islanders at the apex.

However, we're just coming around to properly treating mental illness as something that deserves concern and treatment rather than ridicule and ostracization.   Jokes in poor taste about mental illnesss just set us all back and those jokes are always funny until its someone you know or love that is the fucking punch line.

My dad suffered from dementia for years before he died so yeah, not cool.  Max Caster can take his Simone Biles verse, write it on a chewing gum wrapper, roll it up really tight, and shove it up his ass.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 9

37 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You do know that the Cane Dewey sign was some wrong shit regardless of how great of a ring heel that Foley was, right?

Pro wrestling is patently offensive so that we can all make fun of the shit together and maybe have some not quite so uncomfortable conversations about the stuff.   This is pro wrestling's highest calling and I fully support crazy ass and horribly stereotypical wrestling tropes like the International Hierarchy of Headbutting with Samoans and Pacific Islanders at the apex.

However, we're just coming around to properly treating mental illness as something that deserves concern and treatment rather than ridicule and ostracization.   Jokes in poor taste about mental illnesss just set us all back and those jokes are always funny until its someone you know or love that is the fucking punch line.

My dad suffered from dementia for years before he died so yeah, not cool.  Max Caster can take his Simone Biles verse, write it on a tiny sheet of paper, roll it up really tight, and shove it up his ass.

You’re entitled to your opinion and to be offended by whatever you want but making things taboo because someone might be offended would be creatively stifling and lead to a very boring show.

For instance, they’re telling a story about Adam Page having self confidence issues and clearly coping with alcohol abuse. Should they abandon that storyline because a viewer might be an alcoholic and triggered by it, or having self confidence issues and be inspired to abuse alcohol?

There’s lots of lines you can make an argument for drawing especially in today’s society. And once you start going down that road you can easily end up producing a boring watered down show because you’re afraid of offending someone.

And at it’s best wrestling has been about pushing boundaries and wish fulfillment. The asshole that makes distasteful comments or does distasteful things and then eventually get his comeuppance. 

• Like 4

Caster has always been shit, his "rap" game,  a relic off the cheap heat Attitude Era better off left buried.  If it were a WWE ring he did this in, most of you would be marching on Stamford for his head.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Caster has always been shit, his "rap" game,  a relic off the cheap heat Attitude Era better off left buried.  If it were a WWE ring he did this in, most of you would be marching on Stamford for his head.

I'm offended that you think that!

• Haha 1

No, we'd be posting about it on the internet.

Also, Charlotte said something about Simone Biles on Raw apparently. Didn't watch, but some people on twitter were apparently upset.

To its credit, AEW did not censor Castor's rap despite the tacky content.   Folks do not go to YouTube for bleeped content.

Heels won the match, but VBs stood tall after whopping the Acclaimed out of the ring.

Match is in the books, now we can all move on.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

How long has it been?  I remember the jingle, “PBR meeeee…..ASAP’” but I’m afraid to look it up and remind myself how old I am.

I don’t think I ever saw an ad in my area. I do remember Schlitz malt liquor ads on Univision.

• Like 1

Listen joking about Simone Biles is one thing in a hey look at me I am edgy kind of thing.  The Julia Hart vagina joke is Uber creepy given her age but again it's wrestling.  Making a Duke lacrosse rape joke?  Like we are supposed to treat that as normal because the Duke lacrosse rape scandal never happened?  Get the fuck out here.    This shit will be fine on Dark but they aren't getting past youtube unless he settles down.

And they still aired it the full thing which is baffling to me.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

What's wrong with a good vagina joke? lol

Nothing, if it's an actual good joke. If the bar for "good vagina joke" is being set at "it smells", I feel like we've set it pretty low. Not from an "oh, this is offensive!" standpoint, but "oh. I've heard this thousands of times before. It has ceased to be funny" standpoint.

I dunno. Just felt like a lazy attempt at cheap heat. Which really sums up the Acclaimed's act in general, at least to me. Lazy attempts to grab at low-hanging fruit. It makes me roll my eyes because it's nothing special. Literally anyone can go out there and make those jokes. I don't see the interest in someone who copypastes jokes from Twitter trolls.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's astonishing you are this fucking dumb.

"When you interact with people in these discussions, you're incredibly cynical and condescending. You could try cutting that out and maybe try empathizing to understand where people are coming from instead of shitting on them. I suspect you already know this though and have little interest in doing so because acting in the former allows you to draw or troll people into arguments and fights. I'd hope that's not the case."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"When you interact with people in these discussions, you're incredibly cynical and condescending. You could try cutting that out and maybe try empathizing to understand where people are coming from instead of shitting on them. I suspect you already know this though and have little interest in doing so because acting in the former allows you to draw or troll people into arguments and fights. I'd hope that's not the case."

Yeah, I'm not trying to understand where some misogynist stuck in a wrestling bubble is coming from. I know where they're coming from and it's no place I want to be. Nice try though.

You're also at least intelligent enough to not be cool with low hanging fruit, misogyny, and making fun of mental health.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Nothing, if it's an actual good joke. If the bar for "good vagina joke" is being set at "it smells", I feel like we've set it pretty low. Not from an "oh, this is offensive!" standpoint, but "oh. I've heard this thousands of times before. It has ceased to be funny" standpoint.

I dunno. Just felt like a lazy attempt at cheap heat. Which really sums up the Acclaimed's act in general, at least to me. Lazy attempts to grab at low-hanging fruit. It makes me roll my eyes because it's nothing special. Literally anyone can go out there and make those jokes. I don't see the interest in someone who copypastes jokes from Twitter trolls.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. They were in a tag title program with The Young Bucks where they made bad small dick & incest jokes. Smelly vagina jokes are very in line with what they've been doing the whole time. Low hanging fruit, yes. Lazy, yes. Unoriginal, yes kind of. I'd argue at least rhyming the jokes is pretty original in the context of the characters currently in AEW. They are characters based on millennial hip hop culture. I promise you that genre has artists saying a lot worse than a veiled Duke lacrosse jokes.

That being said, rape jokes are not okay on a wrestling show. Without knowing much about that scandal I didn't realize that's what was referenced. So of everything he said that's the only thing that crosses the line. Even still I get them not censoring it. I'm sure someone pulled him aside and said hey man do your deal just leave the references to that on the scrap heap from now on. It's a teaching moment. Not a let's come for this guy moment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

2.0 is back, and they freed Davey Richards clone from the lab.

But Dave’s Richards himself is a clone.  Dynamite Kid is Jango Fett.  Chris Benoit is a Bad Batch member. They ain’t making one like that ever again!

3.0 were the least over team in Chikara with me.  They just seemed like a block of clay.  

Parker and Matthews had yet to form recognizable shapes at that stage.  They could be funny sometimes.  They were too directionless as characters.  That was back in 2012 and the last I saw of them.
I would love to see if their characters and ring work has improved considerably in the years I haven’t seen them at all…until tomorrow night!

Kodama and Obariyon/Chris Peaks and Louie Vaille looked better on Dark than they ever would be in a similar timeframe in Chikara.  There is hope for 3.0 yet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Listen joking about Simone Biles is one thing in a hey look at me I am edgy kind of thing.  The Julia Hart vagina joke is Uber creepy given her age but again it's wrestling.  Making a Duke lacrosse rape joke?  Like we are supposed to treat that as normal because the Duke lacrosse rape scandal never happened?  Get the fuck out here.    This shit will be fine on Dark but they aren't getting past youtube unless he settles down.

And they still aired it the full thing which is baffling to me.

The Acclaimed are toned down on Dynamite compared to Dark.   They definitely have been told what they can't say on TV.

Caster has been hit or miss with his raps, I like his dynamite stuff better since it's more creative.

The Duke Lacrosse thing was more about a railroading attempt/false accusation than a rape thing to me.  it was clear they were trying to make their opponents frauds , it just came out a lot different than I think it was intended.  Hopefully the smoke gets them to rein it in some, I do like the Acclaimed, they're a good heel team that does things well, and they're over.

Edited by alstein