DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

I love how you knew Eddie saw the Dragonball reference with Kross yet really didn't want to acknowledge it.  At least until he attempted whatever at the end before the ending counter.  It's also funny hearing him and Tony busting each other's balls.  It sounds at first like there's something up yet in reality they're friends who just like doing that to each other.  Interesting to hear that side of Tony considering that doesn't come across too much.  I also like Show wearing that Wingmen shirt because he lost a card game.  The more he explained it the more I couldn't help but laugh.

And I get the love for Angela Risk from LoneWolf but of course the "Settle down..." line is completely warranted in this case.  Though I'll admit to being a hypocrite here so maybe a proactive line for me is in order too.  EDIT:  At least I was wise enough to not say anything because my wife was so ready to give me a death glare.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Max Caster cut a promo during his Dark match taping insulting Simone Biles' mental health, insinuating he's going to rape a woman, and calling Covid fake.  

I admit I don't watch much, but I thought he was a face?  

• Sad 1

Yeah, the Acclaimed have always been heels in AEW. Even still, if Michael Che was a piece of shit then Max Caster is just as much one. Shit, are we sure he just didn't directly lift all of that purported promo from Che?

I like Max Caster, but man, Michael Che is such a smooth brained idiot and that is not who you want to say, "hey, he's got a point!"

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Max Caster cut a promo during his Dark match taping insulting Simone Biles' mental health, insinuating he's going to rape a woman, and calling Covid fake.  

I admit I don't watch much, but I thought he was a face?  

Wait, what?  I know he's skirted that line a few times but that's a few steps way too far.  I really hope they don't air it as even if he's channeling Michael Che that's just not right.

• Like 1

Woah...What in the fuck. It's so much worse actually hearing it instead of reading what @Dolfan in NYCsaid it was.

He shouldn't be outright fired for this, but he should at least be suspended and have to go to some kind of sensitivity training. I'm also not interested in hearing excuses like, "it's wrestling though!" Yeah, it's wrestling, but if you have the skills to put rhymes together like that then you don't have to sink to the absolute bottom of the barrel to get heat. Be better and be more creative.

• Like 3

Max has not learned the same lesson that MJF has not learned.  You can be a heel and still not be a real life dick.

The running joke here at the office is that Darby should challenge CM to an MMA Rules match to guarantee he beats Punk in the debut.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Woah...What in the fuck. It's so much worse actually hearing it instead of reading what @Dolfan in NYCsaid it was.

He shouldn't be outright fired for this, but he should at least be suspended and have to go to some kind of sensitivity training. I'm also not interested in hearing excuses like, "it's wrestling though!" Yeah, it's wrestling, but if you have the skills to put rhymes together like that then you don't have to sink to the absolute bottom of the barrel to get heat. Be better and be more creative.

Sensitivity training for what? The Duke lacrosse players were exonerated. But the false accusation led to a national embarrassment for a North Carolina school. So bringing it up was actually meant to tweak the North Carolina audience by implying he believed the false accusations about students at one of their schools.

The Simone Biles stuff is fine. It’s topically relevant and Scottie Pippen is still shit on for stuff from the early 90’s. Part of being a pro athlete is getting attacked by people on their couches when you don’t live up to their expectations.

PCR tests were at one point giving a lot of false positives—that’s not denying COVID.

He should absolutely not be suspended or sent to sensitive training for that promo. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm just gonna fast forward through it even if it does air.  But they're going to need to decide if this is worth risking offending people.  And even if what you said checks out there's still a pretty high risk of that happening so might as well just not air it.

BUT to play devil's advocate I get what he was going for and it fits with how he's done his freestyles in the past.  Say something controversial that will make you either love or hate him depending on your preference.  This one is no different with the Carolina part but the surrounding lines are just hard to justify keeping in.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Max has not learned the same lesson that MJF has not learned.  You can be a heel and still not be a real life dick.

The running joke here at the office is that Darby should challenge CM to an MMA Rules match to guarantee he beats Punk in the debut.

How do we know he's a dick in real life? He's a heel saying outrageous stuff to rile people up, it's a character and it looks like it's worked.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, killsteve said:

How do we know he's a dick in real life? He's a heel saying outrageous stuff to rile people up, it's a character and it looks like it's worked.

Real heels know how to get themselves over without relying on too soon hip hop edgelord bullshit like this.  It is the cheapest of heat.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I have no allusions that professional wrestling is supposed to be Masterpiece Theatre (although…) but Max’s raps have been too low brow with the more topical lines usually being forced and weak…y’know, they are terribly off putting.  

I’m the type that watches ALL of Elevation and Dark and Max’s dumber yet topical lines almost inspire me to skip the Acclaimed intro entirely.  I am invested in seeing the team improve and I WANT him to get better with his rhymes.  Unfortunately he seems to be regressing with the quality of what he calls “rhymes”.

Show the episode as it is.  They can deal with the backlash should it result from something he probably didn’t think twice about while skimming news headlines during his cereal and cartoons.  The main problem with that strategy is the influx of bad faith actors.  If the wrong people come away bored tonight they could just start shit just to start shit. 

I would still have a talk with Caster about some of his subject matter.  The doofus makes homophobic rhymes with Bowen’s standing right beside him.  Maybe he really doesn’t get it for REALS.  Hopefully he thinks a little bit more before spitting hot barbs of fire at folks like Julia Hart and the various enhancement talent.  Some of which he reams on the microphone like Platinum Max wants to ream Juli…WHOA!  That is inappropriate for pro wrestling on almost every platform it airs on.

YO!  This 100th Dark episode looks like the best episode yet.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
YO? YO! YO?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, the Acclaimed have always been heels in AEW. Even still, if Michael Che was a piece of shit then Max Caster is just as much one. Shit, are we sure he just didn't directly lift all of that purported promo from Che?

I like Max Caster, but man, Michael Che is such a smooth brained idiot and that is not who you want to say, "hey, he's got a point!"

The only time the Acclaimed were faces was one match vs MJF and Jericho.

The problem is people love the Acclaimed too much for them to stay heel.

Edited by alstein

I'm sorry, but I see nothing wrong with that rap. The gimmick is he makes people go "oooohhh...damn!" with his rhymes. Next week he'll probably find another way to shoehorn something topical, a diss to the area, and a diss to the opponent in his 4 bars. It's not he wrote a song about how Simon Biles is a quitter lol.

Much ado about nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1