DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1422060948009984003?s=19

Judging from the information I can gather, Adam Cole's contract is set to expire this month?

Surely there is no way right?

They accidentally gave Black a 30 day no compete, and famously let Rock’s contract expire and didn’t know about it all those years ago. Of course it’s possible.

And Cole’s contract expired in early July. He’s working through SummerSlam weekend without a contract, and it was noted that WWE was grateful he told them he’d do this instead of just popping up on AEW television.

Edited by Casey

I'm just saying, it's like WWE is no bullshit just giving AEW talent. And we aren't talking Kona Reeves, Fandango here - we are talking legitimate bonafide players here. Multiple. It's pure insanity.

Plus I see ANOTHER (not Adam Cole) superstar asking for their release that could be granted tomorrow? This could be an AEW world way sooner than anyone anticipated. What the hell is Vince's end game here?

What happened to the whole the Undisputed Era guys all signed multi-year contracts in late 2019? 

Since there’s been a lot of talk on the subject, back last fall when the NXT/AEW war was about to start, WWE made sure to sign a lot of the NXT key talent to new long-term deals which included all four members of the Undisputed Era. So they are not about to be free agents for a long time, as in I multiple years from now. In a sense, for Adam Cole, if we didn’t have pandemic conditions, it would be too bad because I’m pretty sure he’d be in line for a huge deal if he was a free agent in six months

1 hour ago, Casey said:

They accidentally gave Black a 30 day no compete, and famously let Rock’s contract expire and didn’t know about it all those years ago. Of course it’s possible.

And Cole’s contract expired in early July. He’s working through SummerSlam weekend without a contract, and it was noted that WWE was grateful he told them he’d do this instead of just popping up on AEW television.

One would think that a company at this level, with a roster (at least until recently) this huge would at the very least have a damn spreadsheet in which everyone's current deal's expiration dates are clearly marked and someone is getting paid to update it as needed and constantly keep tabs on it, but I see that is not the case. Or if it is, then as was noted before, someone's about to become another budget cut.

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

One would think that a company at this level, with a roster (at least until recently) this huge would at the very least have a damn spreadsheet in which everyone's current deal's expiration dates are clearly marked and someone is getting paid to update it as needed and constantly keep tabs on it, but I see that is not the case. Or if it is, then as was noted before, someone's about to become another budget cut.

This. Someone's sleeping on the job.

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Who?

I dont know personally. SRS tweet makes it seem like Coles contact was expiring AND a big name asked for their release and it was granted. I see some people saying it's a part timer.

38 minutes ago, Casey said:

The general public on-sale for the Rampage show at the United Center in Chicago sold out in 5 minutes according to WrestleTix.

Although, to be fair, there were probably only 2k to 3k left available.

I was surprised to find out just how much of the arena is being cut off by the stage.=

10 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'm just saying, it's like WWE is no bullshit just giving AEW talent. And we aren't talking Kona Reeves, Fandango here - we are talking legitimate bonafide players here. Multiple. It's pure insanity.

Plus I see ANOTHER (not Adam Cole) superstar asking for their release that could be granted tomorrow? This could be an AEW world way sooner than anyone anticipated. What the hell is Vince's end game here?

If I'm giving Vince all of the Machiavellian credit in the world that he does not deserve as some sort of super genius? He's flooding the market with hungry upper midcarders and Tony Khan is buying all of them, not realizing he cannot possibly push all of them at one time. Eventually those talents get just as resentful for not getting the big push in AEW as they were in WWE. Tony and the EVPs (already well known for being on the thin skinned side) buckle under the pressure of having to appease so many people and double down on pushing themselves and their buddies. AEW becomes a place Vince "sends" guys to get them off television for refreshers knowing they will come crawling back like they always did when they ran to other organizations.

EDIT: Danielson and Punk are obviously not upper midcarders but Vince knows Danielson only has so many miles left in the tank and that Punk is an aging malcontent. Punk is an accelerant to the AEW fire.

Edited by Goodear

2 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I dont know personally. SRS tweet makes it seem like Coles contact was expiring AND a big name asked for their release and it was granted. I see some people saying it's a part timer.

I'm now assuming this was in reference to Ric Flair?

50 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm now assuming this was in reference to Ric Flair?

I saw somewhere it was Alexa Bliss.  I have no idea if that's valid or not.

Oops.  Just saw the "and got it" part.  I just saw somewhere (here?) that Bliss asked for her release.

Edited by Log