DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

A new AEW month and a big one. There's AEW's new show, Rampage and it seems like CM Punk has signed with AEW so we're expecting his debut on said show in Chicago. The build towards AEW All Out continues as well. Doesn't look like Adam Page will be wrestling and defeating Kenny Omega for the AEW World Championship there as we all thought. That booking has been talked about, we'll see whether it was right move to or not. Time will tell.

Edited by The Natural

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

If I had to guess, they’re probably doing something with Martha Hart related to Owen - possibly an Owen figure as part of the Luminaries for the 2nd branded line of toys.

That's what I was thinking. Alternatives might be a tribute tournament. Be a big deal for AEW and Martha/Oje/Athena. Julia Hart nickname maybe?

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

That's what I was thinking. Alternatives might be a tribute tournament. Be a big deal for AEW and Martha/Oje/Athena. Julia Hart nickname maybe?

I know it’s 2021 and all, but it should be Queen of Harts, no? The other possibility I’ve seen thrown around is a KotR style tournament.

• Like 1

AEW also filed a trademark for Too Sweet, and the hand symbol.

I wonder how long they were planning on doing the “Super Elite”? I thought the Bucks were just going to turn heel for a bit, and then feud with Gallows & Anderson for the right to be Kenny’s friends. Now they all seem too tight for this thing to end.

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

AEW also filed a trademark for Too Sweet, and the hand symbol.

I wonder how long they were planning on doing the “Super Elite”? I thought the Bucks were just going to turn heel for a bit, and then feud with Gallows & Anderson for the right to be Kenny’s friends. Now they all seem too tight for this thing to end.

R.951e359b36044bfd60e5cac22e3c9cb6?rik=e

So the idea of a tournament begs the question for me.

Should AEW do a G1 style tournament in the the United States?

Would that kind of long drawn out structure alienate North American fans?

Would it get in the way of “Dream Match” scenarios?

When a first time match is given away in a middling spot in a dense populated tournament.  Is that wise to do when historically (NA as opposed to Japan) those matches are saved in better money making positions?

Would doing it sooner rather than later make a difference?  

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Mixed tag handicap match… Teddy & Mr. Money Vs. Chris Jericho 

Teddy would be a GREAT challenge for Jericho.  He always wanted to wrestle Owen and even win the tag belts with him if all his dreams came true…at the time he wrote that.  I’m sure his new dreams involve paying less taxes. 

Before Juventud was named this week I figured one of the labours would involve Ultimo Dragon.  I saw a few matches between the two in random locations throughout Western Canada in WFWA/IWA Winnipeg.  Jericho even alludes to it during a twofer promo during their WCW years.  

More importantly Jericho told Ultimo that he was his “favourite luchadore”.  I’m pretty sure they clashed during the CMLL portion of Jericho’s career as well.  I always enjoyed his CMLL matches.  It was probably due to the murderer’s row of all time great super workers every single night he was there.  If Jericho himself doesn’t impress there is probably more than a couple stars each time that are worth watching.  They aren’t classic matches in the least aside from a specific 5-on-5 elimination match from  1995.

Other potential opponents from Jericho’s past are any of those old Stampede guys that hung on too long in 1990.  That might be hard to accomplish with those vets being broken down and ancient plus 30 years.  Many have also since passed away.  

Brett Como/Black Dragon from Canadian indies and FMW or WAR.  At one point he had the best Shooting Star Press in the entire wrestling biz.

Gedo was a frequent partner and opponent in FMW, WAR and WCW.  He is the booker of New Japan today, so he probably has has a key to the Forbidden Door already thanks to previous promotional crossovers.  I’m pretty sure he still wrestled too…on occasion.  Perhaps this is one.

Lance Storm teamed with Jericho in FMW, WAR and SMW.  I don’t know about teaming in ECW but Storm could also be his connection to them as well.  That is another place where a significant number of ECW sports entertainers? are no longer with us.  

33 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Would it get in the way of “Dream Match” scenarios?

I was thinking that too, along with trying to avoid having to go through months of TV with just this one theme. Maybe they can do part of the tournament as untelevised house shows. Like how New Japan, and All Japan did it back in the day. I was also thinking that maybe the league can be trios matches instead of singles matches. This way you can save matches, use the faction gimmick, and the winners can split the title shots for a big event. We can even forget about having trios belts, because the big prize will be this tournament that happens once a year.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Oh jesus christ, Teddy Hart is the 4th Labor isn't he.

If it somehow leads to a gauntlet match between Jericho and Teddy & four of his cats, I'm ok with that.

In a shocking twist ending, Teddy will be the next-to-last entrant.  Jericho pins him, thinks the match is over & celebrates, then is rolled up by the last cat which rolls into the ring unnoticed while Jericho is celebrating.

Love the idea of a 'King of Harts' tournament.  Especially as an Owen tribute.  And if it's a G1 style tournament all the better.  I've been hoping since the beginning that AEW would adopt some of the NJPW style tournaments.  

I've only seen a few highlights of Bray Wyatt and just now checking out Bo Dallas, but wondering to those who do know them well whether they could potentially work as a top level tag team in AEW? 

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Mixed tag handicap match… Teddy & Mr. Money Vs. Chris Jericho 

How it goes: As Teddy walks out to the ring a bunch of cops (tipped off by Jericho) come out and arrest him over his countless outstanding warrants and Jericho wins via forfeit.

56 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Or how about Teddy Hart walks out and is immediately arrested for murder, or at the very least assault and battery. 

OK, you beat me to it and I didn't see it. My bad.

• Haha 1

Thinking about it now, say it is a tournament. If the whole reason they aren’t doing the title match at All Out is because TK doesn’t want Adam Page to be overshadowed by Punk, then this tournament would be an easy solution for Adam Page to get back his #1 contender status, and dramatically put him over with a special tribute trophy before he goes after the big belt.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

How it goes: As Teddy walks out to the ring a bunch of cops (tipped off by Jericho) come out and arrest him over his countless outstanding warrants and Jericho wins via forfeit.

Then MJF stupidly books Marty Janetty in his place, and the same thing happens. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Or how about Teddy Hart walks out and is immediately arrested for murder, or at the very least assault and battery. 

“This man killed a woman and got away with it”- MJF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having something that gives you an immediate contendership is kinda WWE but I think if you won a tournament it would work. It's way better than Money in the Bank. 

And please, no round-robin style G1. I can't get my head around the points and the buys and all that shit.