DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If only Kevin Dunn's father didn't save those tapes from a fire...

Too bad Kevin was probably already born at that point, so hoping that while he was rescuing the tapes, Dunn Sr also smashed his nuts into the car so badly that he could no longer reproduce, doesn't help matters.

• Haha 1

listening to a podcast and the term “catch as catch can” came up.  I haven’t heard a wrestling commentator (maybe other than JR) use that term in forever.

When I was a kid I used to think “catch as catch can” was an area of Canada where that style of wrestling was invented.

Catchascatchkan bordering Saskatchewan.

Id love a wrestler to use that as their hometown Catchascatchkan, Canada.

• Like 5

I'm not going to find and bump the "embarrassing things" thread but I would like to point out that I'm almost 40 years old and have been watching wrestling for 30 of that and still have no idea if the babyface hits the ring after the hot tag as a "house afire" or a "house of fire."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm not going to find and bump the "embarrassing things" thread but I would like to point out that I'm almost 40 years old and have been watching wrestling for 30 of that and still have no idea if the babyface hits the ring after the hot tag as a "house afire" or a "house of fire."

I think both are acceptable, and they sound almost exactly alike, so it's all good.

Just because it technically could apply for all US based companies (well I guess except WWE)

The late Brazo de Plata (known in WWE as Super Porky) was among those slated to receive a visa, so the list now consists of 49 wrestlers. It also includes Japanese stars Último Dragón, the Great Sasuke and Tajiri, as well as top Mexican luchadores like Psycho Clown, LA Park, Psicosis, Aero Star and Super Crazy. There are also emerging stars, including Arez, Hijo de Octagón, Mr. Iguana and Súper Astro Jr. The son of the legendary Súper Astro, the up-and-coming star for CMLL will be atop the list of breakout candidates as soon as he appears in the U.S.

Other talents receiving visas also include Lady Apache, Místico (the brother of Rush and Dragon Lee), Damián 666, Baronessa, Mexico indie cult favorite Aeroboy and Drago, another outrageously talented high-flyer.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

When Jeff Hardy was in TNA, they thought they weren't allowed to say "Twist of Fate", so they changed the name of the move to "Twisto Fate". 

Then he turned heel, and started calling it the Twist of Hate instead.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Why is it a "pier 6 brawl?" What's so special about pier 6? 

Pier 6 in New York - there used to be prizefights there (in the 20s and 30s)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The idiom is "House afire" or "House on fire"

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/like+a+house+afire

I am not sure House OF Fire is a thing

Well, we have Houses of Ice over in Lapland, so who knows?

And as far as Pier 6 goes, I assumed it had something to do with drunken sailors getting into fights over there, but had no idea it referred to actual, legitimate prizefights. Cool.

Edited by Shartnado
Pier 6

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Pier 6 in New York - there used to be prizefights there (in the 20s and 30s)

At the turn of the century, before prizefighting was legalized, bouts (offered billed as "scientific exhibitions") use to be staged in random places like offshore barages to avoid the authorities. 

• Like 1

Yeah - I have a feeling Gordon Solie got it from other folks as opposed to random New Yorkers (Mets legendary broadcaster Bob Murphy used to use it from time to time) so it wouldn't surprise me that any place that had docks, etc... would have a similar expression

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm, wonder where the luchadores are gonna wind up. Sasuke would have been a way better Labour of Jericho. Or fuck, Park! Two old tubby guys pummeling each other, make it happen.

Jericho has to win by doing a spot with a barrel over his head

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm, wonder where the luchadores are gonna wind up. Sasuke would have been a way better Labour of Jericho. Or fuck, Park! Two old tubby guys pummeling each other, make it happen.

I will only accept Park coming out to his public domain WCW music or Thriller. No in between.

• Like 2

I now want to see a match happen on Pier 6 again.  I have no idea what changes happened all this time but close it off and go for it.  First people that come to mind would be Santana and Ortiz against FTR but them against damn near anybody works as well.

• Like 2