DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I don't really get why people get annoyed at WWE preferring to produce in house. What is wrong with wanting to train people from the ground up instead of breaking what might be deemed bad habits and then teaching to wrestle WWE's style?

The bad habits talking point is real. But 95% of bad habits aren't things that are wrong or dangerous. They are edicts from an eccentric erratic billionaire. Like we gotta teach them to say championship opportunity. Title match is too rasslin pal. A belt is what holds your pants up, it's called a championship title. Shit like that. And to do your rest holds / submission attempts / final pinfall facing the hardcam. Majority of those habits are already taught at legitimate schools or you pickup working with vets. It's an over rated talking point.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The thing about WWE is, it's monotonous and formulaic. And a lot of the best matches in recent WWE history have been good because they broke the formula. Which is going to be harder to do, with people who have never worked outside of it.

This is so true. And it's not only a good match issue. The best characters are the ones that go against the grain. Stone Cold is certainly better than The Ringmaster as an example. When everything is smashed through that same mold, you aren't going to get a lot of variety. I think Orton is one of the best at the house style out there. But just because I enjoy him doing it well doesn't mean I want to sit through 10 more matches of dudes way worse than him just doing the same shit.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I mean if you don't like WWE's style I'm not sure why you are watching then in the first place. Its not going change to something else entirely.

The same reason people pull for a sports team for years and years, even when mismanaged. There's a love for the idea of what they are supposed to represent even if that's not what they represent in the present. A want to see them reclaim their former glory. I wasn't a big Hogan fan as a kid, but I'll be damned if The Mega Powers rise and explosion wasn't well crafted story telling that kept me gripped. I'd assume most people watching that don't enjoy it, yearn for it to be good again.

It's just the dumbest fucking idea ever. Compare it to any other learned craft / skill / profession and see if it sounds any less ridiculous. Hey pal you're a very pretty man, want to be a plumber? No experience? Perfect! Hey mam, you have one hell of an athletic background. Want to be an emergency room surgeon? No experience? Perfect! There's a reason the best -at anything- are the best. They love it and they dedicate their life to leaning about it. Hard work. Dedication. Experience. All moot in WWE going forward. What a bland company they will have 3-5 years down the road.

I mean if you want your emergency surgeon to have zero experience before signing onto a hospital and "learning their craft" more power to you. Sounds like you have a bit of the Stockholm Syndrome to me. Especially when the system WWE has setup to teach is currently batting about .100 with the success of the the prospects they send up .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

New NXT logo?

I mean dang, talk about a revamp! Are we going back to the Tough Enough times where most of NXT is now newbies training in the ring and sitting through speeches by active and retired wrestlers about the biz?

3 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

I mean dang, talk about a revamp! Are we going back to the Tough Enough times where most of NXT is now newbies training in the ring and sitting through speeches by active and retired wrestlers about the biz?

No not that version of NXT.

Also Triple H is the one who spearheading this NXT revamp. Not sure if it's goodbye to the yellow ropes and black mat yet but we will see.

• Thanks 1

Time to re-sign Michael McGillicutty for all the McGillibuddies with his finisher the McGillicutter and his mascot McGilla The Gorilla(no relation to any existing characters).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Anyway, I don’t think anyone is objecting to the idea that WWE should look to sign impressive athletes and train them in their house-style. They unequivocally should do that. The objection is to the idea that the company should only do that, and (maybe, apparently) totally neglect other means of acquiring talent.

Except people have been bemoaning them signing and treatment of indy talent for a while and with AEW and others around I'm not sure why they want any of their favorites in WWE at this point anyways.

30 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The same reason people pull for a sports team for years and years, even when mismanaged. There's a love for the idea of what they are supposed to represent even if that's not what they represent in the present. A want to see them reclaim their former glory. I wasn't a big Hogan fan as a kid, but I'll be damned if The Mega Powers rise and explosion wasn't well crafted story telling that kept me gripped. I'd assume most people watching that don't enjoy it, yearn for it to be good again.

This is probably the best explanation I have seen for this though many here kind of give the impression they have always hated WWE half the time save for this one person/period here.

30 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's just the dumbest fucking idea ever. Compare it to any other learned craft / skill / profession and see if it sounds any less ridiculous. Hey pal you're a very pretty man, want to be a plumber? No experience? Perfect! Hey mam, you have one hell of an athletic background. Want to be an emergency room surgeon? No experience? Perfect! There's a reason the best -at anything- are the best. They love it and they dedicate their life to leaning about it. Hard work. Dedication. Experience. All moot in WWE going forward. What a bland company they will have 3-5 years down the road.

I mean if you want your emergency surgeon to have zero experience before signing onto a hospital and "learning their craft" more power to you. Sounds like you have a bit of the Stockholm Syndrome to me. Especially when the system WWE has setup to teach is currently batting about .100 with the success of the the prospects they send up .

Except this is a pretty shitty comparison. They aren't finding randoms with no interest. They are going after people with athletic backgrounds who do have an interest. Just because they went to WWE first instead of going to a small time indy to work their way up doesn't really mean their dedication and hard work is any less per say.

That last comment is a pretty good example of what has been talked about people who aren't anti-WWE getting insulted for it. Can you honestly say there was a real point to that other than to try and piss me off?

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Problem is, the talent pool is what the talent pool is.  Vince may not want a 5'9" guy in kickpads for the main roster, but you're going to find a lot more Johnny KIckpads than you are guys with the look and size Vince wants who can talk and work as well.  It's not 1989 when you could walk into the local gym and find a bored bodybuilder with the skill set to make a Road Warrior gimmick work.  

Vince actually has a freezer full of Rene Dupree clones that he hasn't been able to thaw out yet because they're not technically street legal. But you didn't hear it from me.

• Haha 5

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Vince actually has a freezer full of Rene Dupree clones that he hasn't been able to thaw out yet because they're not technically street legal. But you didn't hear it from me.

It could be worse. It could be Sylvan Greiner clones. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Problem is, the talent pool is what the talent pool is.  Vince may not want a 5'9" guy in kickpads for the main roster, but you're going to find a lot more Johnny KIckpads than you are guys with the look and size Vince wants who can talk and work as well.  It's not 1989 when you could walk into the local gym and find a bored bodybuilder with the skill set to make a Road Warrior gimmick work.  

Funny thing is you probably can, but the amount of seasoning and knowledge you can get from working the territories to enable a guy to still be working like a Steve Borden in 2021 isn't really achievable anymore. There is no system in place for that type of wrestler to not only learn the business and get over, but somehow be a star for going on three and a half to four decades.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It could be worse. It could be Sylvan Greiner clones. 

Are the dozen Rob Conway clones Vince has stashed away better or worse?

I liked Conway.  Thought he’d be a big star.  Shows how much I know.

Edited by Eoae
Bad granmar

18 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Is the dozen Rob Conway clones Vince has stashed away better or worse?

I felt bad for Conway for having to carry those lugs.

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I knew it was a freezer full of somebody's clones. I'm both glad and scared it was leaked to the public NOW! The timing is suspect, they may have leaked it on purpose.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Is the dozen Rob Conway clones Vince has stashed away better or worse?

I liked all three of them to a varying degree, actually. Conway the most, then Dupree, then Grenier. Sylvain at least had a couple of decent matches with Tatanka on tv, if nothing else.