DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

15 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Best wishes to phenomenal father & payer of professional wrestlers Violent J as he has announced his retirement from touring due to heart failure.

DtTPGfNXQAAkS9o.jpg

*mournfully* woop woop

22 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Best wishes to phenomenal father & payer of professional wrestlers Violent J as he has announced his retirement from touring due to heart failure.

DtTPGfNXQAAkS9o.jpg

He is lucky enough to live in the age Entresto.  It's keeping me alive.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

heard about this over the weekend. expected to see it mentioned in the music folder eventually, but the monthly wrestling thread? sure, why not.

12 minutes ago, twiztor said:

heard about this over the weekend. expected to see it mentioned in the music folder eventually, but the monthly wrestling thread? sure, why not.

He is technically a wrestler after all. Promoter of 100+ wrestling shows. Friend and benefactor of Terry Funk.

edit: this is the longest version of the Funk/ICP story I could find https://faygoluvers.net/v5/2013/02/violent-j-speaks-on-3-wrestling-legends/ Yes, clicking this means you will have a website called faygolovers in your history.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

He is technically a wrestler after all.

*former* wrestler. according to cagematch, he lost a retirement match 2 years ago.  then again, we all know how wrestlers and retirement go.

but honestly, it doesn't bother me that it's posted here. i was just surprised. 

48 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

DtTPGfNXQAAkS9o.jpg

The story behind that picture is, his daughter came out to him as a furry, and being a supportive parent, he had his own fursuit made (with his face paint design on the face) so he could take his daughter to furry conventions.

People in that community love him, for that.

• Like 1

He lost a lot of weight too, but there's only so much you can do I guess. *looks into mirror in terror*

They're really not bad guys, and their Youshoot bits on Youtube are pretty entertaining along with the Stranglemania videos. If you really hate them that much you can always go watch the Awesome Bomb clip from WCW again.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You wonder what would they could book that would be deemed "positive". 

Is it a character that's gay but is only part of their persona and not their defining characteristic?

Is it not having a character that plays into thd usual tropes and stereotypes?

Is it vanguishing a gay-bashing heel?

Like most, not sure they are capable of booking that. 

The closest thing that I can think of is Rico's final face run in the company as Jackie/Charlie Hass campy, flamboyant friend sure kinda stereotype but presented as fun not gaybaiting, although they never actually used the word "gay". I specifically remember  2004 royale rumble JR and Tazz putting over how tough he was despite appearances 

On 8/24/2021 at 1:54 AM, ChesterCopperpot said:

I know commenting on ongoing shows is against the rules but ...... HOLY FUCK - who did he piss off? 

Reveal hidden contents

E9hEZ8cWUAEgnSO?format=jpg&name=large

More people will see this here:

Made me laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, J.H. said:

Times Square/Show World upbringing shining through?

James

Show World ha ha!  learned about that when the PATH was on strike. I had to bus to Port Authority and walk from there to Penn Station to get from Hoboken to Rahway.  

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

just saw Rob Black is bringing back XPW.  Bill Collier, G-Raver, Atticus Cogar, Shlek, and Eric Ryan  all signed so far.

Looks like Karrion Kross wants to go there as Tool in the above post.

I have had problems remembering which member of ICP is which, so with the news.. I had to check to verify that Violent J is the one with hair and Shaggy is the one without hair.

And for lack of a better phrase, I'd think the WWE would need to 'play it straight' where the LGBT character is actually the normal one and everybody else is weird. There's no way that'd do that.

Although having that character be 1980s Jimmy Valiant would be sorta subversive too? Like, here he is, he wins in 2 minutes with the elbow drop, he dances around, and the kids love him because he's fun.

There's not really a way to do that without either offending a bunch of people for no good reason while attempting to get heat for a feud or exposing parts of their audience as being shitheads.

• Like 1

thanks Peacock algorithm for deciding to give me an ad-free June 1984 episode of Mid-South as a reward for sticking out the June episodes where Sonny King was all over the show. Also, things appear to be picking up post-Superdome, and Dr. Death with shorter hair (no mullet) and just a mustache gives off some Rick Steiner vibes.

(ad-free is a Peacock/State Farm thing, FTR)

Also I think we're about to get the Mid-South side of the overlap where Wendi Richter was evil with Jim Cornette in Mid-South and good with Cyndi Lauper in the WWF.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Apparently there was a plan in place for Gangrel to appear on Dynamite last night, and do the Brood entrance. Only then Edge did the Brood entrance at Summerslam, and so AEW decided to cancel it, and un-book Gangrel altogether.

What a bastard is Edge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

And for lack of a better phrase, I'd think the WWE would need to 'play it straight' where the LGBT character is actually the normal one and everybody else is weird. There's no way that'd do that.

we'd have to count on them to have learned from their mistakes with Muhammed Hassan (strike one), apply those lessons to the same character but queer instead of muslim, and not panic into a quick change when it doesn't immediately get the desired reaction (strike two), because it would still rely on their getting a significant portion of their audience [EDIT: To Accept] that it is in fact the heel (BIG SWING AND A MISS at the slider in the dirt for Strike Three)

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1

To do an LGBT+ angle properly, I think the company should take one of their old angles and just play it straight with wrestlers who are portrayed as LGBT.. 

Like, do the Mega Powers exploding except all the wrestlers are women. Play it straight, have it be an angle about friendship and dominance that is ended by the jealousy of the Women's Champion over her partner/the sneakiness of the Women's Champ's tag-partner and friend in trying to break up the couple. 

I guess a lot of my ideas are relationship-centered (Flair/Savage "I had her first" except everyone is a single gender is another one that immediately sprung to mind), and maybe that'd eventually be regressive if it went on forever, but as a way into these sorts of portrayals, I think it might be decent. Plus, you can recycle those angles, they're so old, and recasting them as same sex/gender/gender identity would be pretty daring, especially for this company.