DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

6 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Pittsburgh even has 1-2 black strip clubs.  I graduated online college from a Savannah based school and when I drove in for graduation must have passed 3-4 strip clubs in Atlanta alone.   

Anyhow, I saw ICW isn't booking Nolan Edwards anymore. Anyone know what he did or was accused of doing?

He was dating Alice Crowley when he was 23 and she was 16. After they broke up he admitted it was an abusive relationship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You will know the difference if you go to an urban Atlanta strip club. There's even an old Atlanta road report from our esteemed DVDers that got into that.

On his podcast, Stevie Ray talked about how he would go to the black strip clubs with Rochester Roadblock of all people.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

On his podcast, Stevie Ray talked about how he would go to the black strip clubs with Rochester Roadblock of all people.

To be fair, The Gold Club is for high level execs like an Eric Bischoff. The OTHER clubs are for everyone else. You should expect randomness from the get-go.

12 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Vince finally learned about the 20+ year old "___ ATE MY BALLS" first generation internet meme?

Fun fact: The guy that started that meme lived in my dorm in college. He was a friend of a friend. 

It was University of Illinois, but no one involved was Tony Kahn. He’s a bit younger than us. 

I always remember in his book, Chris Kanyon pitched the idea of coming back as a normal wrestler who just happened to be gay and between that pitch and his eventual return, it was rewritten to him coming out wearing makeup and singing Boy George. So, no, WWE probably should leave the LGBT characters alone, since many of the same people are still somehow involved in creative all these years later.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I'm sure it takes them this long because they want to do it "with best possible taste"!

You and I with the Kenny Everett references.

8 minutes ago, caley said:

I always remember in his book, Chris Kanyon pitched the idea of coming back as a normal wrestler who just happened to be gay and between that pitch and his eventual return, it was rewritten to him coming out wearing makeup and singing Boy George. So, no, WWE probably should leave the LGBT characters alone, since many of the same people are still somehow involved in creative all these years later.

Tragic what happened to Chris Kanyon. So sad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I have no faith in WWE properly booking an LGBT character...they can barely do women or visible minorities.

No. And if Vince has anything at all  to do with any of that I can see Steph and HHH screaming "NOOOOO!" and doing a slow-mo running towards him as if they are trying to jump on a hand grenade or something!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Grab your Kleenex before you watch.

Yeah, that got me pretty good.  Cena's a pretty good dude to say the least.

Almost feels weird putting this in the same post but as for the LGTBQ idea Steph had there was a chance with the Mandy and Sonya team.  They both were pitching to go that direction and their entrances were building blocks they put in place.  But WWE shut that down and kind of repurposed it elsewhere which really pissed them off.

So yeah it could have worked out great especially if Mandy and Sonya were in charge of the story.  But nah, let's just eventually split them instead.

• Like 2

You wonder what would they could book that would be deemed "positive". 

Is it a character that's gay but is only part of their persona and not their defining characteristic?

Is it not having a character that plays into thd usual tropes and stereotypes?

Is it vanguishing a gay-bashing heel?

Like most, not sure they are capable of booking that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

You wonder what would they could book that would be deemed "positive". 

Is it a character that's gay but is only part of their persona and not their defining characteristic?

Is it not having a character that plays into thd usual tropes and stereotypes?

Is it vanguishing a gay-bashing heel?

Like most, not sure they are capable of booking that. 

They had Jake Atlas. They never let him say he was gay on TV, they just let him make vague statements about breaking barriers. They changed the name of his finishing move, from LGBDDT, to "Big DDT out of the corner" (although it did eventually become the Rainbow DDT). And then they fired him as a cost cutting measure, so his NXT career ended up having this many significant victories: Zero significant victories.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1