DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

21 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My personal problem w/ WWE is just that after being burned so many times,  it's hard to trust them.  i still check out the shows even as background noise and they still suck me in at times.  

AEW has never burned me.  They often under promise and over deliver.  The barbed wire match was one thing they had that they did deserve to catch a little flack for and they did but they quickly righted the ship.  Those things have been few and far between.  

The shows aren't perfect, personally i don't see a use for Paul Wight vs. QT Marshall but again there's so much good stuff that the bad isn't the main story. 

You and I disagree on Sasha Banks' place in the business, but damn if this doesn't read exactly like what I would say. How many footballs have to get pulled out of people's path before they stop falling for it? I used to LOVE WWE. At some point it's just enough. That's why I roll my eyes at the folks on twitter who seem to think Vince has some grand plan for Bianca's redemption. I think it's much more likely she's feuding with Eva Marie on who the "Est-est" member of the roster is within six months. The Old Man and Nicky Budgets got their "Black Girl Magic" Wrestlemania main event, so now it's time to cling to the same six performers until the build to the Rumble. Life is too short to be made to feel stupid for caring. If I ever get too demonstrative in my puzzlement as to why folks still watch WWE, y'all please tell me. As we saw with the Young Bucks Tirade a few weeks back, I don't always see that I'm doing it until it's done. 

I also don't live under the illusion that AEW is perfect. I'd love for all 4 of the EVP's to drop their titles and go on extended, extended vacations. I wish they'd feature the women a bit more and let finishes be finishes. But Tony Khan gives a shit about his audience. He wants every show to feel like the night of Dark Order/Hangman vs. the Elite. Vince and co. would rather we just not be here. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Now who of the current crop of TV stars had Jimmy Hart managing them, or managing their opponents?

Probably Mance Warner at a Gathering of a Juggalos. That seems kind of a thing that might have happened.

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is there any wrestler in the world who has managed to have at least one match commentated upon by all five of Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly?

I can think of loads who have 4/5ths of that list, but all 5?

Jericho?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is there any wrestler in the world who has managed to have at least one match commentated upon by all five of Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly?

Road Dogg. Got Schiavone in WCW, Kelly, Cole, and Ross in WWE, and Tenay in TNA.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

There are so many random folks that pop up before they were famous that you can expand it out. For example, both Foley and Shane Douglas show up as job guys on the first set of Wrestling Challenge tapings in 1986 called by Gorilla, Ernie Ladd, and Johnny Valiant. I'm guessing the Dominic DeNucci connection got them those spots.

Sidenote: You can tell Foley (billed as JACK FOLEY FROM BLOOMINGTON, INDIANA) is probably going to make it big in the wrestling business because Johnny V is fucking obsessed with talking about his face. He talked about Foley more than the goddamn Killer Bees, who were beating the everloving shit out of him.

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Unless I missed it, why aren’t there three pages discussing Lawler Vs. nZo Casket Match?

It was brought up AWHILE ago in this thread but it was more the vehicle for the "best casket match" discussion

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

They're in Atlanta. They have an an act named The New Day. One of them is from Atlanta. 

Big E cashes in and beats Lashley for the title, New Day celebrates the championship victory and reuniting on the same show again to end the PPV.

I think Christopher Daniels might qualify too, thanks to his WWE run where he was pretending to be Christian pretending to be a Conquistador.

Did Moxley or Colt Cabana ever have a random TNA match (Cabana got Kevin Kelly in Rev Pro)?

Just now, AxB said:

I think Christopher Daniels might qualify too, thanks to his WWE run where he was pretending to be Christian pretending to be a Conquistador.

Did Moxley or Colt Cabana ever have a random TNA match (Cabana got Kevin Kelly in Rev Pro)?

I know I've seen screenshots of Moxley entering the TNA arena, but idk if KK was still there.