DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

guess they couldn't bring back the "Great Balls of Fire" PPV name for an Atlanta PPV

Not a bad historical pull here. 

38 minutes ago, supremebve said:

So the reports say Karrion Kross' new gear was introduced for merchandising purposes. So,  they think there is a pretty big WWE/S&M crossover audience? 

To be fair it probably fits more with what his girlfriend tends to wear than his usual gear.

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The show with Joe Vs. Brock, and the only thing people talk about is the poster with two gigantic flaming balls underneath the chins of Joe, and Brock.

Joe/Brock was kind of disappointing so it makes sense the terrible name and aesthetics stick with people more.

Whether for merch purposes, or not, I don’t see a market clamoring for Karrion Kross merch. That dudes like a D- Player. 

In fact, I bet you the WWE could make more money selling stained white dress shirts, than selling Kross helmets.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Is there any wrestler in the world who has managed to have at least one match commentated upon by all five of Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly?

I can think of loads who have 4/5ths of that list, but all 5?

Rey Mysterio, and probably all the Radicalz. Hogan, Flair, Foley… Maybe Steiner, but Kelly was probably gone when he got to the WWE.

Edit: Actually scratch Hogan, and Flair.

But Foley definitely worked syndicated shows with Kelly on commentary.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is there any wrestler in the world who has managed to have at least one match commentated upon by all five of Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Michael Cole and Kevin Kelly?

AJ Styles.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Now who of the current crop of TV stars had Jimmy Hart managing them, or managing their opponents?

Probably cheating by saying these guys, but Sting and Dustin Rhodes at least. There's also a decent chance that your Bobby Roodes and AJ Styles and Chris Daniels' of the world did stuff on late-era WCW SN with some of his First Family guys, but nothing I can remember

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

21 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My personal problem w/ WWE is just that after being burned so many times,  it's hard to trust them.  i still check out the shows even as background noise and they still suck me in at times.  

AEW has never burned me.  They often under promise and over deliver.  The barbed wire match was one thing they had that they did deserve to catch a little flack for and they did but they quickly righted the ship.  Those things have been few and far between.  

The shows aren't perfect, personally i don't see a use for Paul Wight vs. QT Marshall but again there's so much good stuff that the bad isn't the main story. 

You and I disagree on Sasha Banks' place in the business, but damn if this doesn't read exactly like what I would say. How many footballs have to get pulled out of people's path before they stop falling for it? I used to LOVE WWE. At some point it's just enough. That's why I roll my eyes at the folks on twitter who seem to think Vince has some grand plan for Bianca's redemption. I think it's much more likely she's feuding with Eva Marie on who the "Est-est" member of the roster is within six months. The Old Man and Nicky Budgets got their "Black Girl Magic" Wrestlemania main event, so now it's time to cling to the same six performers until the build to the Rumble. Life is too short to be made to feel stupid for caring. If I ever get too demonstrative in my puzzlement as to why folks still watch WWE, y'all please tell me. As we saw with the Young Bucks Tirade a few weeks back, I don't always see that I'm doing it until it's done. 

I also don't live under the illusion that AEW is perfect. I'd love for all 4 of the EVP's to drop their titles and go on extended, extended vacations. I wish they'd feature the women a bit more and let finishes be finishes. But Tony Khan gives a shit about his audience. He wants every show to feel like the night of Dark Order/Hangman vs. the Elite. Vince and co. would rather we just not be here. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Now who of the current crop of TV stars had Jimmy Hart managing them, or managing their opponents?

Probably Mance Warner at a Gathering of a Juggalos. That seems kind of a thing that might have happened.

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

Jericho?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1