DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

13 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

This just popped into my head: Since Arn's kid is Brock Anderson and Rick Steiner's kid is named Bronson and while his wrestling name probably is not going to be Bronson Steiner, if it was, you might get a future wrestling card that said "Brock Anderson vs Bronson Steiner"!

That just sounds so F'n badass, that it couldn't possibly live up to expectations, even when those two would be in their primes, no matter HOW good they end up getting.

Can you think of any other pairings that sound so good that the actual match between them could never live up to the expectations their respective names seem to suggest?

I have no idea why, but the first thing that jumped out to me was Rick Rude vs Trent Acid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Enzo vs Zeus.

Speaking of Zeus, it's kind of odd that he never ended up beating Hercules on his way towards Hogan in '89! Well, not odd, since he had practically no singles matches, but a lost opportunity, anyway!

• Like 1

This will take some mental gymnastics, but if Saba Simba was translated into "Seven Lions", then Christian vs Tony "Seven Lions" Atlas would make for an interesting match on paper. Although, I hear that the original Roman Empire kinda booked that one into the ground!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Haha 2

Angelico vs., El Santanico

Bárbaro Cavernario vs. Luchasaurus 

Teddy Hart & his cats vs. The Junkyard Dog in a handicap match

Rock n Roll Express vs. the New Breed w/ President Dusty Rhodes as guest referee

Zeus (Tiny Lister) vs. Zeus (Japanese wrestler)

Vince McMahon vs. God (Vince would book himself to go over; match would be postponed after God no-showed without notice)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beech27 said:

This has been pointed out many times, and for a long time, but turning Becky in this way illustrates the 'writing vs booking' tension pretty clearly. From a writer's perspective, this could be a consistent and interesting development of Becky's character: her star ascendancy began with an unexpected attack on Charlotte, was fueled by her continuing to transgress, and culminated in taking an injured wrestler's spot in the Royal Rumble after she'd already lost that night. That she would take advantage of the vacancy Sasha made and Bianca's naivete makes sense. And it gives Bianca -- supremely physically gifted -- a psychological hurdle to overcome. 

Only, as much as WWE might occasionally insist and operate otherwise, wrestling isn't a scripted drama like any other, and you can't write characters/stories as if it is. 

This is a really good, insightful post.

41 minutes ago, Dog said:

Surely this must have happened at some point? I demand video!

I did read it happened at least on the early '93 WCW European Tour (when Davey Boy Smith had just arrived). The review said something to the effect of " a 20-minute bore draw, in which they touched each other about twice." So very much the epitome of not living up to the expectations of the respective names!

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Bam Bam Gordy - THE BATTLE OF THE BAM BAMS

It's been long enough, so I hope someone is using "Bam Bam" as a nickname again in pro wrestling.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

This.

Vince hasn't been in the 'professional wrestling' business since WM I. Max Landis is apparently a predatory creep, but he was right about WWE: it's not wrestling. Not in the way diehard fans tend to label it, anyway.

It makes me think about how Martin Scorsese said Marvel movies aren't true cinema. He ruffled feathers, but it's easy to see why someone like Scorsese would feel that way. The same holds true for WWE, on a much smaller scale.

Like Marvel, WWE wants to be a continuous line of content. The level to which anyone finds WWE entertaining or successful is a personal choice. But we need to stop acting as if Vince and others haven't said this before. We can agree or disagree with the mindset. But they don't view themselves that as a wrestling company and haven't for nearly four decades.

They want to get to talent on the first floor and build them so they fit a certain role. Is that a paint by numbers approach? Of course. But it's easier to mold someone who's new to sports entertainment than to recalibrate a long-time indie darling. And, at least in the beginning, it's also cheaper. Not that they'll completely ignore the indie scene, but they won't rely on it as much going forward.

"But that's like creating a line of robots!" Welcome to capitalism. That's always the heart of Vince's thinking, Reaganomics follower that he clearly is. 

"But that's cold and unemotional!" Becoming a billionaire is. And make no mistake, every billionaire has some of the same qualities as Vince. Commerce over art and ethics. With WWE making more money then ever, Vince's vision is literally paying off for him.

If you're looking for top to bottom wrestling artistry in WWE, it's not for you. And that's fine. They have some good stuff going on, but no one is obligated to watch or follow.

But again, we have to temper our expectations/fantasy booking with reality.

• Like 10

On 8/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, Kev said:

Yeah, I think people are mostly civil here, but I do feel like there’s been a bit more of a general anti-WWE sentiment the last couple of years. 

Several of us have flat-out been called stupid sheep for supposedly being pro-WWE. Some folks have been awful in the past and honestly, the rest of you do nothing to call them out for it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:
2 hours ago, AxB said:

Maxx Payne vs Heavy Metal Van Hammer.

Surely this must have happened at some point? I demand video!

i don't know why you'd want to watch it, but i found this on youtube:

Edited by twiztor
quote boxes formatting
  • Thanks 1