DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

I watch almost exclusively AEW nowadays but caught MITB last month and really enjoyed it, especially Charlotte/Rhea and the men’s MITB match.
I get that ‘love loving what you love’ may well be taken as an empty platitude but that’s where I land. I also welcome having my views being challenged in a good-faith and non-combative way, which for the most part happens in the AEW threads. But with the increasingly divergent interpretations at a mainstream level of this Great Sport/Performance Art it may become all the more rare for fans to earnestly follow, enjoy and discuss both. 
The show length, Belair/Becky stuff, Lilly, Eva Marie, Goldberg, Jinder and Gang, was enough for me to pass on the PPV this time.

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Honestly, they'd be better off if they had started this strategy years ago. If you go back to the days when guys were just in it for the money, it's easier to control what makes TV, and you don't get as much pouting. Hiring a bunch of guys in it for the "art" was a huge mistake, so it makes sense to go after non-fans who will do whatever you want as long as the check clears.

I say this as someone with little to no interest in Vince's future "theme park" television shows (with interchangeable "actors" playing everyone's favorite "characters"), and who loves watching guys in it for the "art." But you have to see it from Vince's perspective.

I keep saying in three years time, there will be no wrestling war, because the AEW and WWE products will have nothing in common, to the point that they won't even have a passing interest in each other's talent. And who knows, WWE might actually be more watchable if they fully turn into a televised theme park, instead of being this weird half-Chikara hybrid they are now.

You had me until Chikara.

Now, if Survivor Series turns into a Torneo Cibernetico I'm on that fuckin' thing like White on Bryce. I'm not buying, I'm flying.

If either company is going to be compared to Chikara, I'd think it's the one where the EVPs think it's performance art and not pseudo sport and they seem to be adding more and more Chikara alums every week (and not just CP Munk). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If either company is going to be compared to Chikara, I'd think it's the one where the EVPs think it's performance art and not pseudo sport and they seem to be adding more and more Chikara alums every week (and not just CP Munk). 

Necro Butcher?

Not surprising, but...

Becky Lynch is now the top heel in the WWE SmackDown women's division, according to a report. 

Lynch, the SmackDown Women's Champion, is going to be positioned as the top heel on the brand according to PWInsider. PWI cites multiple WWE sources as having confirmed the decision to have Lynch be the heel in a feud against a babyface Bianca Belair. 

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-reportedly-turns-becky-lynch-heel-351046

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

It still makes no sense. 

Oh, I hate the whole angle. Let me make that clear. But there's no way in hell she's going to be received as the babyface in all of this. Unless she does the Tweener role. 

• Like 1

Well, then it worked based on the anti Becky chants tonight in Denver during Bianca's promo and match. And a few folks were doing it during Charlotte's match. BTW, 
the most over wrestlers were Orton, Rey, Charlotte Flair, Roman and Usos. But no one wasn't not over. Even Jinder got a great heel reaction.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ariel is better than this bullshit. He should have called Khan out on that.

Ariel mentioned right away that Nick Khan was Ariel's agent for a good chunk of time. they seem to be on friendly terms, so i didn't expect a hardhitting questions or non-corporate answers.

5 hours ago, Peck said:

There's no way in hell she's going to be received as the babyface in all of this.

since when do crowd reactions dictate alignment in WWE's morality system?

• Haha 2

Plus, you can have a heel win in a squash or a fluky manner and come back out the next week and give their version of the truth and get their heat back and be even more reviled for their twisting of things. If you have a babyface lose in a way that makes them look dumb or weak or out of their league, especially if this is the person you've pushed for months; that hurts them. "She wasn't ready for Becky." or "She tried to shake Becky's hand but got screwed," only makes her look worse, not better, especially after Sasha turned on her a few weeks ago on her first night back. You can tell a story where she has to build back after this, but she's starting from a much lower place than she already was and the value of dragging her back up isn't the same as just having her start near where she was and going from there. They're making this way harder than it should have been because they're weirdos and morons, basically. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It’s moronic since the fans really want to cheer Becky after her absence. Total opposite of Reigns turning. 

This has been pointed out many times, and for a long time, but turning Becky in this way illustrates the 'writing vs booking' tension pretty clearly. From a writer's perspective, this could be a consistent and interesting development of Becky's character: her star ascendancy began with an unexpected attack on Charlotte, was fueled by her continuing to transgress, and culminated in taking an injured wrestler's spot in the Royal Rumble after she'd already lost that night. That she would take advantage of the vacancy Sasha made and Bianca's naivete makes sense. And it gives Bianca -- supremely physically gifted -- a psychological hurdle to overcome. 

Only, as much as WWE might occasionally insist and operate otherwise, wrestling isn't a scripted drama like any other, and you can't write characters/stories as if it is. 

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 8

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, Ryan said:

This is going to end up with HHH/Steph vs Rollins/Lynch at some point by the way.

Can we have a half-laugh/half-cry reaction button please mods?

This just popped into my head: Since Arn's kid is Brock Anderson and Rick Steiner's kid is named Bronson and while his wrestling name probably is not going to be Bronson Steiner, if it was, you might get a future wrestling card that said "Brock Anderson vs Bronson Steiner"!

That just sounds so F'n badass, that it couldn't possibly live up to expectations, even when those two would be in their primes, no matter HOW good they end up getting.

Can you think of any other pairings that sound so good that the actual match between them could never live up to the expectations their respective names seem to suggest?

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Ultimate Warrior v The Crusher

5 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

This just popped into my head: Since Arn's kid is Brock Anderson and Rick Steiner's kid is named Bronson and while his wrestling name probably is not going to be Bronson Steiner, if it was, you might get a future wrestling card that said "Brock Anderson vs Bronson Steiner"!

That just sounds so F'n badass, that it couldn't possibly live up to expectations, even when those two would be in their primes, no matter HOW good they end up getting.

Can you think of any other pairings that sound so good that the actual match between them could never live up to the expectations their respective names seem to suggest?

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta