DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

They probably hear it enough in these general discussion threads, tbh. I don't read the RAW or Smackdown or NXT threads, typically, though they tend not to have many posts in the first place from what I can tell. I think the last one I read was when Bobby Lashley became champ, which I found out in the general discussion thread in the first place. 

I haven't seen a WWE show in five years, so I'm in your lane, @christopher.annino . While I don't watch individual shows, I do know via osmosis what the company is up to, and I feel as though I can comment on that without having to watch the product closely. I will say that I actually don't have a problem with people finding places that are more enthusiastic about the product to post at. It makes sense! People want to share their joy with others!

I just feel the need to push back at a) the idea that people are attacked for liking WWE here, and b) that this board is some vortex of completely negative hivemind toward WWE programming. People here still get excited about different workers on the show all the time. 

In fact, I have unpopular opinions re: AEW, which is loved here, and while people challenge those opinions, they're not shitty about it. Being challenged on your takes =/= some sort of heinous attack. This is a discussion board. Formulating and defending a position is part of discussion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think people are mostly civil here, but I do feel like there’s been a bit more of a general anti-WWE sentiment the last couple of years. I don’t really mind as, like others, I’ve completely lost enthusiasm for WWE. Although I do find some of the throwaway ‘everything WWE is bad’ style posts pretty pointless and tedious (‘how did WWE fuck this person up’, etc.). And with that there can be a tendency towards revisionism, which has lead to some pretty ridiculous takes like ‘the PC hasn’t produced anyone good’ (I feel like the exaggerated improvement of Tay Conti is a spin-off of this). But yeah, when there’s actual discussion I think the board is still pretty balanced on WWE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

We’ll, they didn’t have any trouble selling tickets, so I dunno how accurate it is to say that “no one cares”.

This isn’t really the place to discuss WWE unless you subscribe to the theory that everything Vince does is terrible.  I just assume that, for the most part, people who want to discuss WWE without being attacked or insulted have moved on and found somewhere else to discuss the shows.

As you point out, the statement taken literally obviously wouldn't be an accurate statement and thus obviously the statement was meant figuratively - and I think people know broadly what I'm getting at with such a statement.

I didn't actually make any statement about the quality of the product. Whatever vibe I might give off, I don't think I really resemble some guy who spends a lot of time criticising the current WWE product - some of it is cool. FWIW, I think is that WWE is basically in a not entire dissimilar position to The Simpsons. And obviously I am quite aware that The Simpsons is still a money-making juggernaut that would continue to make big money even if it did end, and it's still going to be making more money by making new episodes as long as they remain at least ok, sometimes good, even if occasional dud. And whilst there have been modern Simpsons defenders on the subforums here, I think people would generally understand what the statement 'Noone cares about The Simpsons anymore' means. I'm not going to tell someone that they shouldn't enjoy modern Simpsons if they do so, and look, if you personally genuinely care about Roman Reigns vs John Cena and Goldberg vs Lashley etc then I'm happy for you in all honesty, and if you just plain watch it and are successfully entertained then the same applies.

• Like 1

Funny. I couldnt tell you which i watched last regularly: wwe or the simpsons. Prob at least 10 years since i watched either on a weekly basis. Although Simpsons season 2 thru 7/8 likely better thanany 5 year period of WWWF/WWF/WWE history. 

• Like 1

Me, my bud, and my brother are taking my nephew and his two pals from across the street to the WWE SuperShow in Denver tomorrow. It'll be the neighbor boys first wrestling show and my nephew's second. They're super jazzed.  I told them we will all be wearing masks to be safe. Then I checked the Ball Arena website and they require masks on everyone. Here's hoping we don't have to deal with any angry morons, but it IS a wrestling show.  

• Like 2

F4W is reporting that

Spoiler

Bray Wyatt is expected to sign with AEW shortly.

“It’s most likely happening,” Meltzer said. “It’s at the same stage as Aleister Black long before it happened. I don’t think there’s pen to paper or anything like that but the expectation is pretty strong, put it that way.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was re-reading Jericho's second book and just got to the part where Vince completely DESTROYS Jericho ("You're green as grass, man...the drizzling shits") and I'd forgotten that Jericho tried to get Vince to hire Luther (To which Vince replied "Is he a good person?" which...LOL) and now I wonder if that's what soured Vince on Y2J in the first place: "He wanted me to hire this guy?! He must be terrible, too."

Edited by caley

I like Bray, but I don't understand where he fits in AEW. They clearly made a conscious decision to move away from supernatural stuff, and he's not exactly a workrate monster.

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

In regards to the talk about needle movers... hmmm, I wonder if we have another lurker...

Nah, it was only brought up on the forum because Roman Reigns said it about Punk, which is presumably what Chavo is talking about.

Just now, Swift said:

Nah, it was only brought up on the forum because Roman Reigns said it about Punk, which is presumably what Chavo is talking about.

Ah, yeah that's right. Thanks for reminding me! Just woke up and I'm honestly still buzzing about last night.

In other news - I turned on SummerSlam for about 5 minutes before I realized I just don't care. I can usually will myself to sit through one of their big shows, but... I dunno, this is the first time I just feel like it's not worth it.

• Like 2

having this on Saturday Night instead of Sunday Night is gonna be different enough

Although considering there's a live program on Friday and a live program on Monday.. it probably doesn't matter which night you pick between Saturday or Sunday and the WWE doesn't have to run Sundays to avoid PPV boxing anymore (although they're gonna try to avoid having this show overlap with the Pacquiao fight)

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I like Bray, but I don't understand where he fits in AEW. They clearly made a conscious decision to move away from supernatural stuff, and he's not exactly a workrate monster.

This is just a guess but I'd wager Bray in AEW would be more in line with early swamp Max Cady Bray than the Fiend because of this.

• Like 2