DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

13 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

when you see why Ric Flair is trending on twitter LMAO. 

"You've still got it!"

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I guess this proves Ric is not Batman

I'm going to go ahead and say that you don't date someone who runs around calling herself Catwoman if you are opposed to giving the occasional cat bath.  I don't care what DC says.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

When I saw the picture in question, my first thought was "I hope that's Fifi"

I'm pleasantly surprised he hasn't reached double digits in terms of marriages like his title reigns.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

WWE should have called an audible and have Jerry Lawler beat The Mix for the WWE Championship at Elimination Chamber 2011. Man, WWE changed the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship too many times that year.

Your right and I'm not really fan of titles changing too often either but there were some memorable title changes in that time period. Like Mark Henry, Christian, of course Punk and even Miz winning was a shock, brother doesn't watch but even he was surprised by him winning the WHC. Daniel Bryan too of course him cashing in in the middle of Henry feuding with Big Show who was having probably the best run of his career he and Henry both. That time period before the network launched in 2014 was probably the last time I was consistently watching the weekly TVs including Superstars and Main Event. Once the network launched I stuck to just watching the PPV , NXT Takeovers and the weekly NXT tv.

King beating Miz would've been a great Moment and Lawler could have a Classic with a broomstick effortlessly. Not comparing Miz to a broomstick at all ,just making a point 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

Actually, if we want to change the subject, let's talk some more about Seth Rollins and his unique inability to master the one most important aspect of pro wrestling.

Seth said:

I've had to think about it because now that crowds are back, I'll get 'We want Becky' chants. I don't know to navigate that. I'm not exactly sure why people think that's an insult to me. 'Yeah, my wife is awesome and great. I get why you want her instead of me. I'm also a bad guy.' I don't know where the insult comes here. If it happens, how am I supposed to react to that and what am I supposed to say? Luckily, I haven't had to address it yet, but it doesn't hurt my feelings."

It's one thing to have a healthy respect and fear for fans that will throw bottles at your head. This is something different.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Actually, if we want to change the subject, let's talk some more about Seth Rollins and his unique inability to master the one most important aspect of pro wrestling.

Seth said:

It's one thing to have a healthy respect and fear for fans that will throw bottles at your head. This is something different.

They have beaten all the improv out of wrestling. That was like one of the best things about it. 

You could do what @odessasteps said. He could get misogynistic with it if he's a heel, too. ("She's decided to become the champion of keeping a nice home for her megastar husband, so she won't be here tonight.")

It's not that hard to think of something to say. Anyone at this board could probably figure out a quick comeback. 

I don't think Rollins would be a great promo in any setting, but I imagine that having to memorize and read off the crappy scripts that they're given really devolves them as mic workers. Like I said a few months ago, they had WWE wrestlers cut inset promos during the PBA playoffs and Rey and Big E were fine, but Rollins was bad and Reigns was pretty lame (though at least he understands the basics of what an arrogant heel should say). 

On a somewhat tangential note, I catch glimpses of the product because of ads on Peacock or crossover with the PBA or whatever, and they are not helping these guys come off well at all in their presentation. Reigns is their top guy and he's out here wearing a shirt that says "Acknowledge Me." 

You've got the iconic "MACHO MAN" shirt. You've got "Austin 3:16." You've got "Wanted Alive or Dead." And the best they can come up with for a guy who I assume is meant to be their top heel is "Acknowledge Me?" As basically an outsider to the program, that's not making me want to see Roman Reigns at all. It might work better if you're watching the show regularly, but zero people outside of that group are going to be drawn in by a dude begging to be noticed. 

This company is so bad, and yet NBC and Fox won't shut up about it while I'm trying to watch other things. But I digress.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Seth said:

It’s an imperfect metaphor, but sometimes I feel like Seth Rollins is the Kevin Durant of wrestling. He started out as part of a beloved trio, before heading out on his own to become clearly, inarguably, for better or worse, one of THE guys of his generation, but all the while remaining almost bizarrely thin-skinned and constantly fostering an antagonistic relationship with people who are presumably his fan base. He constantly seems to have a self-serious chip on his shoulder that he isn’t more beloved even though he’s always kind of acting like a prick. I like him just fine, but can’t blame anyone who thinks he’s pathologically incapable of connecting with people.

In a ‘normal’ wrestling promotion, the obvious answer would be for Seth to say “I’m THE MAN of the house, so I’m here and she’s at home because That’s what I decided, so you won’t ever get to see her wrestle again”.  

Becky returns at some point, says “I do what I want and I don’t need a man to tell me what to do”. Kicks Seth in the nuts. Massive pop.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

You've got the iconic "MACHO MAN" shirt. You've got "Austin 3:16." You've got "Wanted Alive or Dead."

The iconic version of the Cactus Jack shirt doesn't say "Wanted Dead or Alive", that's the sanitised version. The proper version just says "Wanted Dead".

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

If only she had missed an Amtrak in Orlando and not a NJ Transit train bound for Port Jervis from Newark.

Newark my ass - that was clearly Hoboken.

• Haha 4