DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

17 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm a subscriber to The Athletic. They have an article on the front page titled: "The art of effective communication: An interview with WWE's Seth Rollins."

That's the guy you're asking about effective communication? Seth freakin' Rollins?

And yeah, I skimmed the article, and it's about cutting promos and connecting with an audience. Like, you could have asked The Miz, for one, or some other guy with at least a few mic skills that the company wants repping the company and maybe gotten a useful answer. 

The last I saw of Seth Rollins, he was cutting an utterly shitty promo in the middle of my PBA event doing some weird Prince/shady yoga instructor combination for a gimmick. He's one of the best arguments for having more managers in wrestling.

Didn't Seth say during the pandemic that "crowds can get in the way of the stories WWE wants to tell"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Didn't Seth say during the pandemic that "crowds can get in the way of the stories WWE wants to tell"?

I don't remember this, but that sounds like the company line, so I'm going to assume he did.

53 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Presumably she's running away from the prison she just broke out of.

I'm wondering if it's the same damn prison every time? You'd think they would do something about the security at this point! Do they WANT people to escape, or what?

The main warden is like : "You are not the kind of prisoner we want to keep around here! "

Edited by Shartnado
warden's thoughts

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I'm wondering if it's the same damn prison every time? You'd think they would do something about the security at this point! Do they WANT people to escape, or what?

The main warden is like : "You are not the kind of prisoner we want to keep around here! "

clnwivxgzvr41.jpg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

If Goldberg wins Saturday he will be the oldest WWE Champion ever, beating out Vince McMahon.

I can see that happening. By doing so Goldberg will have held four different world titles: WCW Heavyweight Championship (1998), World Heavyweight Championship (2003), WWE Universal Championship (2017) and WWE Championship (2021).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

If Goldberg wins Saturday he will be the oldest WWE Champion ever, beating out Vince McMahon.

I was curious if this meant that Goldberg was automatically the oldest wrestler to ever challenge for the WWE Championship. He is not.

Ric Flair challenged Edge for the WWE Championship in 2006 in a match on Raw and he was a year older than Goldberg is now. 

I really, really doubt Goldberg is going to get the W, but then again, the WWE seems to be in an on-going challenge to see just what it will take for the rest of the remaining audience to stop tuning in so maybe it will?

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m impressed she took Amtrak from Orlando to Penn Station 

If only she had missed an Amtrak in Orlando and not a NJ Transit train bound for Port Jervis from Newark.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DMJ said:

I was curious if this meant that Goldberg was automatically the oldest wrestler to ever challenge for the WWE Championship. He is not.

Ric Flair challenged Edge for the WWE Championship in 2006 in a match on Raw and he was a year older than Goldberg is now. 

I really, really doubt Goldberg is going to get the W, but then again, the WWE seems to be in an on-going challenge to see just what it will take for the rest of the remaining audience to stop tuning in so maybe it will?

Jerry Lawler was 61 when he wrestled The Miz in a TLC match for the title in 2010

e: and at Elimination Chamber 2011

Edited by elizium
  • Like 3

Goldberg's contract makes me think he's not winning the title this weekend

Spoiler

Apparently his contract only calls for 2 matches per year.  He wrestled at WM, so if he wins the title, Vince is going to have to negotiate a new deal just to get him in the ring to drop the belt.

On the other hand, Vince hasn't built up any challengers for Lashley besides Drew, who can't challenge for the title and has jobbed to Lashley a couple times already (and is extremely stale in general), so I dunno who would be next for Lashley unless they're bringing someone over from SDL in the next draft.

It's time for a main event singles run, for one of those really tall guys that can only do one move. Got to give the people what they don't want, we take smiles off faces, et cetera.

50 minutes ago, elizium said:

Jerry Lawler was 61 when he wrestled The Miz in a TLC match for the title in 2010

e: and at Elimination Chamber 2011

WWE should have called an audible and have Jerry Lawler beat The Mix for the WWE Championship at Elimination Chamber 2011. Man, WWE changed the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship too many times that year.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Lashley squashing Goldberg then Big E cashing in the MITB would be the best case scenario, but based on Smackdown they're saddling him with Corbin.

I can see Big E challenging him at a PPV instead of a surprise cash-in so maybe the Corbin stuff is a placeholder. That or Big E cashes in at SummerSlam and then feuds with Baron Corbin the rest of the year.