DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So... Sasha vs. Bianca not happening?  Damn that SummerSlam card gonna suck. 

Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair was the SummerSlam match I most looked forward to with Roman Reigns vs. John Cena. That's it.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No.. just that "unforeseen circumstances"  is probably WWE code for covid considering they pretended it didn't exist for months and months. 

That's what came first to my mind with "unforeseen circumstances" .

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Ok so putting 2+2 together with all these rumors/suspicions -

Vince is looking to sell.

Triple H failed with NXT.

Cody might be 'going back' to WWE.

WWE are 'helping' AEW by letting them sign certain stars.

Ric Flair's release.

The Khans (Nick and Tony) are not related BUT they might be.

The Saudis have money.

John Cena is back for his record setting world title run.

Conclusion -

Vince McMahon, under the supervision of the Saudis, in conjunction with the extended Khan dynasty, is working with AEW to eliminate Ric Flair from the history books by setting up John Cena to dethrone Kenny Omega as AEW champion as part of a WWE sale to a Khan financed Cody Rhodes.

Vince realised that Dusty was the real star behind NXT and is going to leave his empire in the hands of Dusty's son.

In exchange, Vince gets paid, but he also gets to leave the legacy of his greatest WWE created star (Cena) eclipsing the WCW/NWA guy (Flair) by dominating Cody's new #1 rival (Omega/AEW).

We're through the looking glass here people...

I love it, but what about The Reverse Vampires?

- RAF

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AxB said:

In which case you could argue that Buried Alive matches, Stretcher Matches and Ambulance matches are all technically part of the "Put my opponent into a thing" stipulation match.

Ah ... but you have to close the lid! And the coffin/casket is at ringside. ?

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

In which case you could argue that Buried Alive matches, Stretcher Matches and Ambulance matches are all technically part of the "Put my opponent into a thing" stipulation match.

*El Gigante vs. Sid at the first SuperBrawl was a stretcher match where the stretcher was not involved during the match. 

30 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I don't know if you can call what El Gigante and Sid did a "match". Abomination is more appropriate I think. 

Hey, at least they kept it short since Sid was on his way out of the promotion. Imagine if he wasn't. Five to six minutes of Sid vs. El Gigante would have caused a massive sinkhole to envelop the Bayfront Center.

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hey, at least they kept it short since Sid was on his way out of the promotion. Imagine if he wasn't. Five to six minutes of Sid vs. El Gigante would have caused a massive sinkhole to envelop the Bayfront Center.

Back when I first read about this match, it was called a "megadud" , apparently not because it was so bad, but because it was so hyped and yet lasted less than 2 minutes. So, there was at least one person who wanted to see MORE of that!

As a side note, at the time I had not seen El Gigante (but understood he was super tall) and I had only seen Sid as super dominant. Therefore, I automatically assumed it was Sid squashing El Gigante so quickly. Then, a bit later on, I figured that "Oh, this was right before Sid showed up in WWF and for some weird reason, people who are leaving start suddenly losing matches, even if they didn't do so very often before...hmmm. Well, all a coincidence, I guess?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Just remembered one of my TNM7 gimmick matches for “World’s Worst Wrestling”, the Car match, where you had to put your opponent in a car to win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Thanks @tbarrie, that was a great post. I was definitely a bit off in my assumptions. Although I was a bit off the mark, I still stand by there being better technology to go from reasonably confident to factually accurate. And I'd be very interested to see how much of a variance there is between accurate digital readings vs the Nielsen model.

Thanks Flips. Though I should point out that while I have a math degree, stats was my least favourite branch of math. So there are probably subtleties I'm missing.

Anyway, you're certainly right that if you have the technology to measure the full population directly, you can achieve certainty without messing around with sampling at all. And I strongly suspect you're right that nowadays, the various cable providers could tell you exactly how many screens are tuned into a given show. (For broadcast TV, I doubt that's possible, even if the signal is digital. I could be wrong of course.)

On the other hand, I'm less confident that the cable companies would have any way of determining how many people in a given household are actually watching that screen at a specific time, much less give accurate demographic information on those people. (And we've all had it beaten into our heads in recent years that advertisers  care more about "the demo" than overall viewership.) So there's probably still a role for sampling-based data.

None of that is to say that Nielsen is super-accurate; I've never really examined their methods, but it's difficult to see how they'd avoid self-selection bias at a minimum. (Even if their method of selecting households at random to participate is top-notch, they can't compel the households they select to actually participate.) But I'd wager they have actual statisticians who know way more about this stuff than I do working on the problems.

• Like 2

On the WON radio show this morning - Meltzer said he doesn't know what is going on with Bianca/Sasha

That being said - without saying it directly - both Dave and Alvarez clearly think it is COVID related since Alvarez started talking about who might be ruled close contacts (basically everyone in the segment with them during SDL and then their real life partners)

Raw and Smackdown contracts call for WWE to deliver x number of live shows per year (not taped).  That was supposedly the reason Vince pushed so hard to get back to live shows at the beginning of the segment.  WWE was technically in violation of its tv deals and Vince believed Fox might use that as leverage to renegotiate the contract.  I would assume the NXT deal has similar language in it.

That said, supposedly NXT is taping three weeks of tv next week (taping Tuesday's show on Monday, and the following weeks on Tuesday).  Multiple reports claim USA didn't agree to this, so I dunno what Vince is up to.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

On the WON radio show this morning - Meltzer said he doesn't know what is going on with Bianca/Sasha

That being said - without saying it directly - both Dave and Alvarez clearly think it is COVID related since Alvarez started talking about who might be ruled close contacts (basically everyone in the segment with them during SDL and then their real life partners)

Alvarez obviously thinks its Covid.  Dave was noncommittal.  'Course, Alvarez couldn't keep facts straight and was implying a large chunk of the card would have to be canceled, which seems a bit of an overreaction.

Honestly, I'm dumber for having listened to that segment.  Dave and Bryan segued into a discussion of Corbin stealing the MitB briefcase and Bryan went on a rant about how Corbin could not cash in because there was a hearing (?) during the Miz briefcase angle where the judge (??) ruled that a cash-in was invalid because Morrison handed the briefcase to the ref and he wasn't the rightful owner.  According to Alvarez, that ruling SET A PRECEDENT (????).

Yeah, Alvarez picked a weird time to become "it's still real to me" guy.  The whole discussion was mind-numbing.

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I wonder if they're taping three weeks of episodes so Adam Cole is still on the show past the point he would be leaving if he does leave. 

Isn't his handshake deal only up to Summerslam/Takeover?

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Isn't his handshake deal only up to Summerslam/Takeover?

That's what's been reported.  Meltzer thinks Vince offered him a spot on the main roster and a guarantee of a push to stay, so it's likely he'll move on from NXT one way or another.

57 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Not yet. I think NEW shows usually end up on highspots though. I just saw clips from Twitter. 

It's up on Highspots, was watching some of it yesterday.