DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Just to go back to the "wish we had more footage" bit for a moment, we need not only more Ray Stevens but A LOT more Bobby Heenan. As in, any match he was involved in, in any fashion. That would be a gold mine of bumping, bleeding, and cheating. 

Flair vs. Pagano in Zona 23 with a run-in by Demus is now on my bucket list for best match that will never happen, by the way.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 6:50 AM, christopher.annino said:

The term "grabbing the brass ring" comes from old carousels, which in turn come from mechanical wooden horses used for amateurs to participate in basic jousting training, which in part comes from war games that used to be played amongst kingdoms that often led to fatalities. There was too much risk in having princes and kings participate in war games so jousting, which was considered particularly more safe, became a thing. After a freak jousting accident killed a French king, participants stopped attacking each other on horseback with lances and started attempting to skewer rings with said lance, set up on a course. A rotating wooden horse version was created for training purposes that became a popular thing for women and children to play on, which led to the invention of the carousel, which also led to the mechanism where horses on the inside would rotate up and down on a gear to imitate galloping. However there were stationary horses on the outside that were less and less popular, so the idea of grabbing rings came back, held out by a person or a dispenser at a fairly difficult to reach range. While most rings were steel or iron, a brass ring was worth a free ride. However they were so difficult to grab that oftentimes when people got them, they just kept them.

I just learned all this yesterday because of a country music podcast, so go figure ?

Love "Cocaine and Rhinestones!" I devour each episode the minute it gets posted, thanks to 8-10 hour shifts where I hate my co-workers and can wear earbuds. 

• Like 1

Taken from f4wonline.com:

For the second straight night, WWE SmackDown Women's Champion Bianca Belair and Sasha Banks did not appear at a WWE live event. 

Again citing "unforeseen circumstances," their absence was announced to the crowd at Sunday's show in Columbia, South Carolina. Both missed Saturday's event in Charlotte, North Carolina, with the same unforeseen circumstances cited as the reason. 

Hope both are okay.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Ooof, Charlotte also missed that house show in... err, Charlotte, because she was backstage at TripleMania.

There's an actual place wanting Charlotte!

?

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 2

Biggest piece of news is Survivor Series will be in Brooklyn.  Sunday, November 21. 

Raw will also be from Brooklyn the next day.  I'm sure it's just a scheduling quirk too (or if they're pre-taping at the Raw shows), but there are no Smackdowns listed for the two weeks after SurSer.  

Also there's no PPV in October.  Well, not one in this country...  ???

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

She was apparently never advertised for the house show.

Meltzer and Alvarez said on air that she was heavily advertised and was supposed to be in the main event.  No idea how accurate that is.  I was unaware there was even a house show scheduled this weekend.

It's hilarious that Charlotte either blew off a house show in NC or was given the day off by Vince to go to Triplemania.  I mean, I'm generally pro-business but I'm also a believer in knowing your worth and leveraging it on occasion to suit your own interests..  

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Vince retires/dies.  I don't think any of his usual toadies command respect/fear from the roster the way Vince does.  Trips seemed like the obvious choice to succeed Vince, but he's being cut off at the knees in a fairly public way so could mean Vince has soured on him.  It sends an mixed message to the roster regardless.  Shane is probably not a serious option.  I think Stephanie could lead the company, but the company still seems to have an "old boy" mentality, and, if she' the successor, one would think Triple H would be in a more secure position than he seems to be in.

If Vince sells, I think the new owners look for their own Nick Khan to run the company and bring in Heyman/Bischoff types to run the wrestling side.  There aren't that many people out there with experience booking a wrestling company on this scale.  If Vince dies or retires without a sale, no idea what happens.

Edited by Eoae

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Normally I would put this in the podcast thread but here is New Day absolutely raving about the work Baron Corbin is doing right now with this new gimmick

Thanks. The TikTok mentioned by the New Day is genuinely funny. If you missed it or want to watch again:

• Haha 1

Never good for your career prospects in WWE, if Vince decides you can do comedy. Imagine how Regal's fed run would have been, if you replace all the humourous segments (and to be fair, some of them were really funny. Some of them weren't at all, because they were just Vince indulging his public humiliation fetish, but YMMV) with serious matches.

• Like 1

Anyway more ratings newz from Adweek:

"The Media Rating Council, the third-party accreditation organization that checks Nielsen and other measurement firms’ methodology, is likely to reach a decision about the status of Nielsen’s national TV service early this week—and the industry is bracing for Nielsen’s longstanding National TV measurement service to lose its accreditation, opening another major fissure in its longstanding but increasingly threatened measurement backbone."

• Like 1

We were discussing on discord, what are the best casket matches of all time in response to nZo vs Jerry Lawler in a casket match from NEW. So I pose it to the board, gimme your best casket match recommendations. Sasuke-Shinzaki from M Pro this year was also very fun. 

This is the finals of Big Japan's KOTDM tourney. It's short but pretty damn dangerous. Matsunaga goes face first through a plate of glass and Pogo almost literally kills him at the end, before almost dying of heat stroke himself. 

I tried to find that M-Pro match, anybody got it? PM me or drop it here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so putting 2+2 together with all these rumors/suspicions -

Vince is looking to sell.

Triple H failed with NXT.

Cody might be 'going back' to WWE.

WWE are 'helping' AEW by letting them sign certain stars.

Ric Flair's release.

The Khans (Nick and Tony) are not related BUT they might be.

The Saudis have money.

John Cena is back for his record setting world title run.

Conclusion -

Vince McMahon, under the supervision of the Saudis, in conjunction with the extended Khan dynasty, is working with AEW to eliminate Ric Flair from the history books by setting up John Cena to dethrone Kenny Omega as AEW champion as part of a WWE sale to a Khan financed Cody Rhodes.

Vince realised that Dusty was the real star behind NXT and is going to leave his empire in the hands of Dusty's son.

In exchange, Vince gets paid, but he also gets to leave the legacy of his greatest WWE created star (Cena) eclipsing the WCW/NWA guy (Flair) by dominating Cody's new #1 rival (Omega/AEW).

We're through the looking glass here people...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1