DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

As I read this I thought that one of the best things about NXT has been that they have managed to change how WWE books 1st generation foreign wrestlers. Hunter become more familiar and open to bringing in talent outside the country and signing them based off their reputation forced Vince not to treat them like comedy acts or play off some racial stereotype that he grew up on over 70 years ago. Yes there is still a little of that on the main roster but not as much. Honestly If it wasn't for Hunter, and Regal being his biggest advisor especially early on in NXT there would be no NXT UK.

Look at how they booked Burchill and even Drew McIntyre early in his career. If Drew wasn't so young,  I don't think he would have gotten another chance to get over like he has.

... and yet here we are with Drew carrying a sword to the ring. ?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

with Ric Flair showing up at Triplemania, if AAA decided "sure, let's have Ric Flair work a 6 man tag at 72 years old".. who would be the appropriate old man for the other team.. Mil Mascaras?

Yo what! How about Tully

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Actually no Kenny. If he can safely work a kid wtf go for it

this being Lucha and all.. Satanico is probably still working?

so... Ric Flair/Andrade/Psycho Clown/Murder Clown vs Kenny Omega/Rey Escorpion/Puma King/Satanico.. maybe have a spare old person available on both sides just in case. Just have the old dudes do stuff occasionally. I have no idea who is the tecnico in Psycho Clown and Escorpion, but any time you can hook up Ric Flair and the Psycho Circus.

If near death immobile Andre the Giant can work 1990s Lucha, i'm sure Flair can do it without having a heart attack or getting Covid in 2021

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
21 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

with Ric Flair showing up at Triplemania, if AAA decided "sure, let's have Ric Flair work a 6 man tag at 72 years old".. who would be the appropriate old man for the other team.. Mil Mascaras?

Not exactly ancient but...Pimpinela Escarleta

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Oh God you just gave me the money idea: Tokyo Dome main event: Flair vs Yano!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, who works an incredibly safe style while still having matches that are incredibly entertaining better than Yano?

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Having just watched Andrade v Omega (good stuff) I'm even more convinced TK shouldn't let Flair wrestle, bump or blade. Thought he was going to stumble on the stairs at the start, and those chops won't have any grapes shaking in their skins. 

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Flair could have maestros matches with Negro Navarro, Solar, Blue Panther, Charles Lucero, Hechicero, maybe Negro Casas. Casas might want to bump around a little bit more than those other guys.

Negro Casas is only a few years away from taking top rope Spanish flys on those hard ass Arena Mexico rings.

Edited by cubbymark

On 8/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

With all the recent developmental change chatter, is there any argument that OVW was the most successful version of developmental ever?  They produced so many future top stars in such a short period.  

Or was a lot of that just down to recruitment? Did they just stumble upon a crop of blue chippers all at once?   Batista, Cena, Orton, Brock were all kind of “can’t miss” prospects to begin with based on their size and look alone.  Even most of the Mid card guys were excellent from the time.

I sort of understand their theory that you can teach wrestling, but you can’t teach size, which seems to be what they are aiming for.

They very well nearly missed on all of them -

Lesnar burned out and quit. His prime years were in the UFC. If he failed there and came back a loser there's no way Vince gives him the sweet deal he's on.

Batista was D-Von's lackey until Flair, and then Hunter, got him. Could have ended up in the same space as guys like Tomko or Luther Reigns. Even his breakout from Evolution was a happy accident after the failed Orton face turn.

Orton was a boring "blue chipper" until Evolution. If that spot went to Jindrak would Randy have made it through the booking as Cody Rhodes tag partner?

Cena would have been released if didn't get another chance with his freestyling. A chance he only got because of an extremely fortunate backstage conversation.

For a "Can't miss" as they were, WWE sure did try...

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 5

WWF/WWE has always been atrocious at creating new stars. Their successes seem to be happy accidents or getting fully formed acts ala Hogan that they didn’t get in the way of. And even then there’s guys like Goldberg they had a blueprint on how to push and still screwed it up. 

Even guys like Edge had hesitant booking, and they only got behind him big time after the Matt Hardy story broke. And even then, despite ratings going up when he was champ, they took the title off of him almost immediately. 

• Like 5