DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, I'm not taking that from somebody who talked shit in the Olympics thread.  I was being a wiseass anyway so to the Ignored pile you go.

I don't remember talking shit about the Olympics, so this is a head-scratcher.  Not really my problem though.

I think people are jump to a crazy conclusion that they're giving Elias the Fiend gimmick. There was a guitar thrown in a fire. And the Fiend was burned by fire. That's legitimately the only link.

4 + 4 is not 37 guys.

But that being said, it's all Bray's creation. Like he came up with all the characteristics himself. All WWE did was add shitty lighting to his matches. So if they did give the character to someone else it would be a gigantic slap in the face. This isn't Doink where they had a character in mind and filled the role. Then recast the role. This is taking someone else's creation and giving it away just because of the shitty one sided contracts they make people sign saying it's technically legal to do so. It's not worth it.

I’m on board with WWE booking being mostly shit, but putting the post-Impact flops of Broken/Woken Matt all on them isn’t really fair.

Wasn’t there a legal dispute with Impact claiming the Broken Universe IP when the Hardys returned? If I remember right, that delayed them using the gimmick, which killed off a lot of the momentum. It wasn’t very good when they did pull the trigger, but it was relatively well featured until, I think, an injury to Wyatt or Hardy ended the run.

And the Broken stuff in AEW was largely shit. As pointed out, I don’t think the lack of crowds was really an issue as it mostly got over based on cinematic stuff. Tonally, it just didn’t fit with what was going on around it. And I’d suggest that’s the issue with the gimmick. It got over by pretty much going viral during the Impact run. I’d guess a decent amount of people weren’t actually watching Impact, but caught the Broken stuff in a bit of a vacuum where it’s easier to digest. Honestly, I don’t think he wackiness of the gimmick works within a promotion which people actually watch and is otherwise a pretty straight-faced presentation. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Aye, but consider the reaction those Hardy vs Wyatt segments and matches were getting, and think about how that level of crowd disengagement was so soon after the Hardy Boys' Mania return pop. Which was only the loudest crowd pop ever in company history.

That initial dueling videos between Hardy and Wyatt, where Hardy first claimed he was Woken, got a massive pop.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What’s this I’m hearing about Elias getting the Fiend gimmick?

These fuckers are without shame.

Fuck that, they should re-package him as Akeem Jr. He goes to a special ceremony attended by Slick, Akeem, and Papa Shango. Shango boils his guitar with some chicken feet and the special black goo that he collected from Warrior's head and has kept in a jar for the past 29 years just for this moment. A puff of smoke goes up and POOF!, Akeem Jr. is born, wearing big-ass Beats headphones, rapping poorly, and doing that weird hand-gesture shit Akeem did. 

...no, this isn't Brian Gewirtz's secret DVDVR account, why do you ask?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think people are jump to a crazy conclusion that they're giving Elias the Fiend gimmick. There was a guitar thrown in a fire. And the Fiend was burned by fire. That's legitimately the only link.

Oh, jeez that's it? Elias could be coming in as Kane '98 based on that

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword up! Still working on finding someone with a bigger platform who's interested in doing something with these (Fightful's The Distraction podcast solved last month's crossword on a live Twitch stream, which was fun to watch); until then, I'll just keep posting them monthly on my Twitter.

38 mins 58 secs. Slowest I’ve been for a while! Tough one!

• Thanks 1

I posted this in the Raw thread for this week, and it warms my heart if this is where people are getting the "Elias as Fiend" rumblingz:

On 8/9/2021 at 11:30 PM, nate said:

Sweet sell of the RKO by Riddle.

And, holy shit, Elias as the new Fiend would be the most WWEest thing to ever WWE.

53 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

He's trying to be the best actor eh?

(Sorry if this was already posted)

I posted this in the AEW area, so I should probably be the one offering up the apology. 

Full interview is pretty decent. Fun to imagine Punk pinching himself working with Chris Bauer of all people. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

There are also rumors going around today that Vince blew up the Hindenburg and kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.  I’m totally convinced but your mileage may vary.

Vince also killed Nicole and Ron, but made it look like OJ did it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword up! Still working on finding someone with a bigger platform who's interested in doing something with these (Fightful's The Distraction podcast solved last month's crossword on a live Twitch stream, which was fun to watch); until then, I'll just keep posting them monthly on my Twitter.

10:40. Hardest one you've done yet. 5 and 46 down both confused the hell out of me. Had to work completely around them and come back later. 

These continue to rule, by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Speaking of the Olympics thread I believe several people were mentioning how good Gable Steveson would be at pro wrasslin, so...

If this happens do we get another guy losing his name?

"Otis and Chad"

Fucking LOL

• Haha 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

They should keep his shoot name so when he turns heel he can be billed as Unstable Gable.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

• Sasha Banks appeared on the latest episode of Barstool Sports’ Rasslin’ with Brandon F. Walker podcast. Banks discussed headlining WrestleMania 37 night one this April: “To main event WrestleMania, that was my biggest, biggest, biggest dream, so big that I didn’t even think it was possible. You would never think that as a woman in WWE or as a woman in general that you would be in the headline, main eventing, Wrestle Frickin Mania. To go out there and wrestle in front of a crowd when we hadn’t been in front of them for a year in a half. To get the reception we did and to deliver and kill it and to have people still talk about that match, it’s the best feeling in the world. To go home, leaving people happy and saying ‘that was the match of the night, that was the main event, male or female, period. That was just the greatest.’ That’s something we’re going to remember for the rest of our lives.”