DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, Leonidas said:

If only Armando Ianucci had knowledge of WWE, a Thick Of It style satire would be perfect. In fact the only Vince McMahon or Hulk Hogan biopic I would want to see is if they were in the style of the Death of Stalin.

I've mentioned before about how Succession feels like it could be just as much about the McMahon family as it is about Rupert Murdoch. There were also many times when watching Veep that it also felt like what WWE is probably like behind the scenes.

Networks probably would scoff at the idea of a tv series about the McMahon family done in the style of Veep, but I bet that show would be an instant hit.

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Daniel Bryan first started getting the Yes! chant over (as a heel) they tried a couple of times to move it off of him, and onto a babyface instead. Like Sheamus was trying to lead the Yes chant while feuding with Bryan, but then after that feud was over he kept at it for a couple of weeks. Big Show too.

What’s this I’m hearing about Elias getting the Fiend gimmick?

These fuckers are without shame.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

13 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Lots of masked gimmicks get passed around.  What's the objection to someone else being put under the Fiend gimmick?

Mind you, I think it's an awful gimmick that should be discontinued.

Because it’s definitely more his idea(he spent his money on the fucking masks for crying out loud), and not something like La Parka, or Doink. Doink failed with the replacement though. Parka is probably the exception, but that’s because people were really dumb to what happened.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Is there any actual credence to Elias becoming The Fiend except that he burned his guitar in a fire and said Elias is dead? I'd assumed this is more about him giving up the musician gimmick then any indication he's going to be The Fiend. If it was a WWE promo about him becoming The Fiend, it would veer way further into the supernatural realm (Well WWE's ideas of that): quick cuts of eyes, worms, etc.

• Like 5

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Because it’s definitely more his idea, and not something like La Parka, or Doink. Doink failed with the replacement though. Parka is probably the exception, but that’s because people were really dumb to what happened.

I've never heard that it was his idea, though I'm not surprised that he came up with a gimmick that barely required him to work the match and largely consisted of no-selling everyone else's offense.

• Like 1

Just now, Technico Support said:

Repackaging The Fiend will go over as well as repackaging Diesel and Razor.

Yeah, so this must be a real thing that is about to happen, since so many people are talking about it. This sounds like just about the dumbest thing in a while. Unless, they just say that whatever was possessing Wyatt can just move on and find new vessels and possess them at will. Then it MIGHT work, but I there is a very significant possibility that this one will get shat on like nobody's business!

• Like 1

I haven't seen it, but from what I've gathered here and elsewhere, have they not already established that by having "The Fiend" possess Alexa Bliss? It's real-life crass as hell, but it's not without storyline precedent

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Spelling

Remember the Woken Warrior Matt Hardy vs Bray Wyatt feud? That was an attempt to get Matt's TNA heat and overness off from Matt, and onto Bray. 

It was a partial success. They did successfully take Matt Hardy's heat and popularity away. To the point that him being Broken Matt in AEW didn't work as well as it should have.  

Edited by AxB
Bray not brag.

Well it's truly hard to say about Broken Matt as that's meant to be in front of a crowd.  Debuting that in an empty arena was bad though they maybe could have tried more to make it work.  Now if he debuted as HFO Matt for example then maybe they could have switched to Broken when crowds came back.

35 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, so this must be a real thing that is about to happen, since so many people are talking about it. This sounds like just about the dumbest thing in a while. Unless, they just say that whatever was possessing Wyatt can just move on and find new vessels and possess them at will. Then it MIGHT work, but I there is a very significant possibility that this one will get shat on like nobody's business!

Unless it possesses Sami Zayn.

52 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well it's truly hard to say about Broken Matt as that's meant to be in front of a crowd.  Debuting that in an empty arena was bad though they maybe could have tried more to make it work.  Now if he debuted as HFO Matt for example then maybe they could have switched to Broken when crowds came back.

Aye, but consider the reaction those Hardy vs Wyatt segments and matches were getting, and think about how that level of crowd disengagement was so soon after the Hardy Boys' Mania return pop. Which was only the loudest crowd pop ever in company history.

• Like 1

Ah, yes, another reason to blame WWE.  I missed part of that post earlier due to work being busy this morning.  But I still think if full crowds were going on then the Broken stuff would have been rehabbed in little time.  It just was bad timing mixed with a smidge of missed potential and the Sammy incident.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Ah, yes, another reason to blame WWE.  

There are also rumors going around today that Vince blew up the Hindenburg and kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.  I’m totally convinced but your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

New wrestling crossword up! Still working on finding someone with a bigger platform who's interested in doing something with these (Fightful's The Distraction podcast solved last month's crossword on a live Twitch stream, which was fun to watch); until then, I'll just keep posting them monthly on my Twitter.

• Like 6

As soon as they hyped how good he was and the backflip celebration my first thought was "Hmm...wonder if he's a pro wrestling fan."  Though I could see Gabe in UFC as well and think he'll be great regardless of where he goes.

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, I'm not taking that from somebody who talked shit in the Olympics thread.  I was being a wiseass anyway so to the Ignored pile you go.

I don't remember talking shit about the Olympics, so this is a head-scratcher.  Not really my problem though.