DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

I also thought a "Pier 6 brawl" alluded to the idea that all manner of unsavory things happened down at the docks.  Like woodsmen would settle their differences in a lumberjack match, I always assumed sailors, longshoremen, and any other seafaring miscreants would frequently engage in seaside fisticuffs to work out their issues.  Of course, I grew up in Baltimore, so you can see how I'd be confused by such a term.  The idea of dockpeople slugging it out wasn't far-fetched in the least.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At the turn of the century, before prizefighting was legalized, bouts (offered billed as "scientific exhibitions") use to be staged in random places like offshore barages to avoid the authorities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's been along enough that they can steal the "Chavo submits to a handshake" finish for that match.

Watching November 1985 World Championship Wrestling, and i'm making the same bad "Starrcade 85: The Gathering of the Juggalos" joke each time Starrcade comes up.

Kinda weird to be watching programming where Jimmy Valiant and Paul Jones are in the same promotion and not actively feuding with each other. For that moment, Superstar Graham is unofficially in the Jimmy Valiant role of being incoherent, weird looking, and feuding with Paul Jones?

Question I'm not expecting an answer to: what Atlanta-area flag shop did they clean out to put a Sri Lanka flag in Techwood?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jericho has to win by doing a spot with a barrel over his head

Oh man, if only Takayama hadn't suffered that horrible injury, imagine if he was one of the five labors.

That was a feud like 20 years in the making, that we never got the pay-off to. ? 

• Sad 2

While we're on the subject, Donnybrook comes from a neighbourhood in Dublin. There was an annual fair held there for hundreds of years which got a reputation in the 19th century for out of control drunkenness and brawling until eventually the fair was banned outright, but the term stuck. Quite a well off neighbourhood these days.

Edited by Swift
  • Like 11

On 8/9/2021 at 9:10 PM, TheVileOne said:

This dawned on me a few weeks ago, but basically at this point, all the rumors about the backstage shenanigans and drama in WWE and people getting released are infinitely more compelling right now than WWE's on-air product.

Heels is a drama about some legacy wrestling family kids in a podunk town. What we need is a wrestling drama TV series about what's going on behind the scenes at a WWE-like company. Because all this is literally the story of a serialized TV drama right now. A giant, lucrative massive wrestling company in this transitioning media conglomerate era. The more wrestling minded son in law who married into the family, and the weaselly corporative yes men antagonists!

If only Armando Ianucci had knowledge of WWE, a Thick Of It style satire would be perfect. In fact the only Vince McMahon or Hulk Hogan biopic I would want to see is if they were in the style of the Death of Stalin.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Swift said:

While we're on the subject, Donnybrook comes from a neighbourhood in Dublin. There was an annual fair held there for hundreds of years which got a reputation in the 19th century for out of control drunkenness and brawling until eventually the fair was banned outright, but the term stuck. Quite a well off neighbourhood these days.

Also Jim Duggan’s grandmother was a taped fist champion.

• Thanks 1

The term "grabbing the brass ring" comes from old carousels, which in turn come from mechanical wooden horses used for amateurs to participate in basic jousting training, which in part comes from war games that used to be played amongst kingdoms that often led to fatalities. There was too much risk in having princes and kings participate in war games so jousting, which was considered particularly more safe, became a thing. After a freak jousting accident killed a French king, participants stopped attacking each other on horseback with lances and started attempting to skewer rings with said lance, set up on a course. A rotating wooden horse version was created for training purposes that became a popular thing for women and children to play on, which led to the invention of the carousel, which also led to the mechanism where horses on the inside would rotate up and down on a gear to imitate galloping. However there were stationary horses on the outside that were less and less popular, so the idea of grabbing rings came back, held out by a person or a dispenser at a fairly difficult to reach range. While most rings were steel or iron, a brass ring was worth a free ride. However they were so difficult to grab that oftentimes when people got them, they just kept them.

I just learned all this yesterday because of a country music podcast, so go figure ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was just thinking about Damien Sandow this morning. That act was so over, but they booked him so weird after he won the briefcase. Then he got his really good TV match with Cena and that was it. What a waste of a talent and character.

Yet another case of the WWE trying to fix something that wasn't broken. His intellectual savior gimmick was a perfect midcard heel role and he was more than decent in the ring. The team with Cody was pretty solid as well, but like you said after winning MITB he went absolutely nowhere. Then they stuck him as Miz's lackey and to Sandow's credit he did his best to run with it and managed to get it over, then there was zero payoff afterwards before jobbing him into oblivion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was just thinking about Damien Sandow this morning. That act was so over, but they booked him so weird after he won the briefcase. Then he got his really good TV match with Cena and that was it. What a waste of a talent and character.

His run with The Question Mark is a top 5 angle of the last 2 years. Pure brilliance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

However there were stationary horses on the outside that were less and less popular, so the idea of grabbing rings came back, held out by a person or a dispenser at a fairly difficult to reach range. While most rings were steel or iron, a brass ring was worth a free ride. However they were so difficult to grab that oftentimes when people got them, they just kept them.

Also, as these things go, when the concept of participants grabbing a brass ring made its way to the carnivals, the game was rigged in some way where obtaining it was pretty much impossible. 

So the concept of sleazy carnies urging unsuspecting people to grab a brass ring that, in reality, is impossible to achieve, did not start in WWE.  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Acts that are over are such an anomaly that WWE doesn't know what to do with it. Do they push them? Do they punish them? Do they ignore it? Do they try to use their overness to get over a less over act?

I think part of the signing sprees of the last few years was an acknowledgment that they have absolutely no idea what works. All they know is 95% of what they do is not working and every so often someone catches fire. (Punk, Bryan, Lynch) The theory was if you take a bunch of flyers on the cheap, something is bound to work. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Acts that are over are such an anomaly that WWE doesn't know what to do with it. Do they push them? Do they punish them? Do they ignore it? Do they try to use their overness to get over a less over act?

I think part of the signing sprees of the last few years was an acknowledgment that they have absolutely no idea what works. All they know is 95% of what they do is not working and every so often someone catches fire. (Punk, Bryan, Lynch) The theory was if you take a bunch of flyers on the cheap, something is bound to work. 

When Daniel Bryan first started getting the Yes! chant over (as a heel) they tried a couple of times to move it off of him, and onto a babyface instead. Like Sheamus was trying to lead the Yes chant while feuding with Bryan, but then after that feud was over he kept at it for a couple of weeks. Big Show too.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Daniel Bryan first started getting the Yes! chant over (as a heel) they tried a couple of times to move it off of him, and onto a babyface instead. Like Sheamus was trying to lead the Yes chant while feuding with Bryan, but then after that feud was over he kept at it for a couple of weeks. Big Show too.

Big Show was particularly bad.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

A day in the life of Baron Corbin. Legit funny.

That is pretty funny, but at the same time, he's probably dead ended himself in WWE since Vince knows he can be funny.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1