DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Look who got pushed into the vat of HGH by Batman…

Vat of Venom. Batman devotee so had to say Venom.

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@The NaturalGreat list.. i would also add

vs. Becky Lynch at Takeover  

vs. Asuka at SummerSlam 2020 

vs. io Sharai at The Great American Bash 2020

vs. Ronda Rousey at Royal Rumble 2019

Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch at NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable 2015 narrowly missed my top five. Almost went with Banks/Asuka from SummerSlam 2020 than the one I went for on the post Royal Rumble 2020 RAW. Banks/Rousey, Royal Rumble 2019 is Rousey's best match. Don't remember Banks/Sharai at The Great American Bash 2020.

12 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The Banks/Lynch match at Takeover was the best WWE match of the half-decade, IMO. 

Some days, it's my favorite WWE match ever, is how much I loved that thing. The joint work and selling were aces.

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Agreed on the selling.. both of them sold their asses off.  i loved the spot where Sasha is selling the arm as she dives through the ropes. 

Need to watch it back. Like me some limb selling done right. I think Sasha Banks' NXT 2015 is the best year anyone had in NXT history. The Four Horsemen Fourway at NXT TakeOver: Rival, the aforementioned Banks/Lynch bout and two ***** between Banks/Bayley at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn and Respect. I've always preferred the Respect Iron Woman match to what most do, Brooklyn.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Also, as far as Triple H is concerned, all the people talking about him and Stephanie starting their own promotion after WWE gets sold, I would be shocked if (a) there doesn't end up being a LENGTHY no-compete clause as far as those two are concerned or (b) if they are both retained with some sort of corporate middle-management position that pays them enough of a salary to placate their egos.

That said, if somehow either of the above didn't happen in the event of a sale and Hunter/Paul does get a little frisky about trying to launch his own promotion and attempting to set up meetings with television networks/media conglomerates, I could 100 percent see that being another reality check in him finding out that he's not as big of a mainstream name to Programming Executives as The Rock and Steve Austin, and without also having the major league pro sports connections that Shad and Tony Khan have, not even getting his foot in the door.

I feel like if WWE was sold, HHH and Stephanie would just retire. 

• Like 2

If/When Vince retires and sells the company, I'd like to see Stephanie and Trips/Paul leave and try to build a competing promotion from scratch.  I dunno that a Trips-run promotion would be good, or that I'd have any interest in actually watching it.  I just think it'd be interesting watching them try to build something.  Presumably, they have/could raise the capital to run a promotion that could compete.  It'd be less certain that they could lure away talent, sign tv deals and get favorable time slots, get the right people for management/production positions, etc.  

Realistically, I don't think this will ever happen.  It seems far more likely that they would either run the wrestling side of the promotion for the new owners (with someone brought in to run the business side and organize the management structure), or they would simply retire.  I would expect new owners to strongly push for the McMahons to sign no-compete clauses if they didn't want to stay with the company.

It'd be interesting to see how the tv partners would respond to a new McMahon promotion.  

Likely will never happen, but interesting to ponder.

• Like 1

That would make a great reality TV show, Trips and Steph going to meet TV execs and getting disgruntled at not being recognised. H not understanding why they keep asking him about Guardians of the Galaxy, and Steph having to clarify her that dad didn't play Quarterback for the 85 Bears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

That would make a great reality TV show, Trips and Steph going to meet TV execs and getting disgruntled at not being recognised. H not understanding why they keep asking him about Guardians of the Galaxy, and Steph having to clarify her that dad didn't play Quarterback for the 85 Bears.

“We’re not saying you could be the next Dave, but we could see you as Dave’s best friend”

“Oh yeah, I could definitely see him as Dave’s best friend”

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

If WWE were sold, which I don't think it would be, then Steph and HHH will take their massive buyout and semi-retire with Steph probably continuing to do philanthropy work and HHH tagging along for the ride, wondering how it all fell apart, probably starting some type of supplement company to try to rival Joe Rogan's Onnit, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This dawned on me a few weeks ago, but basically at this point, all the rumors about the backstage shenanigans and drama in WWE and people getting released are infinitely more compelling right now than WWE's on-air product.

Heels is a drama about some legacy wrestling family kids in a podunk town. What we need is a wrestling drama TV series about what's going on behind the scenes at a WWE-like company. Because all this is literally the story of a serialized TV drama right now. A giant, lucrative massive wrestling company in this transitioning media conglomerate era. The more wrestling minded son in law who married into the family, and the weaselly corporative yes men antagonists!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This dawned on me a few weeks ago, but basically at this point, all the rumors about the backstage shenanigans and drama in WWE and people getting released are infinitely more compelling right now than WWE's on-air product.

I’d say that has been true for that company since about 1991. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

H not understanding why they keep asking him about Guardians of the Galaxy

Trips fielding questions about what Groot is like in person would be a better bit than anything the WWE’a done in the past 30 years.

i’m a little surprised Vince didn’t get Jim McMahon to appear at WrestleMania so he could claim a vaguely defined family relationship.

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

i’m a little surprised Vince didn’t get Jim McMahon to appear at WrestleMania so he could claim a vaguely defined family relationship.

WM2 was (partially) in Chicago and even had the Fridge in the Battle Royal! perfect timing to pull that off. 

9 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Trips fielding questions about what Groot is like in person would be a better bit than anything the WWE’a done in the past 30 years.

Neither here nor there, but this was the best thing they've done in the last... well, maybe not 30.

I remember when the WWECW reboot started sliding in the ratings and the rumor was that Kevin Dunn convinced Vince that the reason was because it didn't look enough like WWE. 

Which leads me to the NXT stuff. Maybe having a developmental brand with young, muscled up greenhorns is the best thing for future business, I leave that out of it. But 4th and 5th hour Raw with guys who have never done this sort of thing will be an absolute ratings disaster. There is no way they could put that on actual cable tv. 

• Like 1

It's not necessarily crazy that Hogan vs Flair and Flair vs Savage drew more in WCW. Why was Flair jobbing left and Right to Hulk though. Flair says working with Hogan was a night off and he was just happy to have Hogan to work with but wouldn't you want some credibility going again Hogan after a while 

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If only Kevin Dunn's father didn't save those tapes from a fire...

Kinda wish Kevin Dunn's father pulled something else out instead ...

... I'm not proud of myself for that.

Edited by nate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

On 8/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, AxB said:

If Flair being brought in to AEW to manage a faction, obviously to us it looks like The Wingmen is the best fit. But you just know that he himself would want to be out there with The Acclaimed. Especially today.

Wouldn't be the first rappers Ric was associated with: