DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

So many to choose from...

5. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. Hell in a Cell 2019.

4. Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair. WrestleMania XXVII.

3. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair. RAW, 28th November 2016.

2. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015. *****.

1. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. *****.

Honourable mention to Sasha Banks vs. Bayley at Hell in a Cell 2020, Sasha Banks vs. Asuka on the post Royal Rumble 2018 RAW and Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss at SummerSlam 2017.

@Niners Fan in CT@Greggulator and @Eivion.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Summary: Mostly what we've already heard.  Dave doesn't say anything about changing up the tv show itself, but does say they are going to change their philosophy regarding who they go after.  No more "midgets" (Dave's word, though he appeared to be reading off a paper so that's probably a direct quote), no more guys over 30.  Company is looking for "box office attractions and main characters"  Going back to what they were looking for in the early 2010's before they started signing a lot of indie stars.

There will still be exceptions.  Dave thinks Adam Cole was promised a spot on the main roster and a push as incentive to stay.  ???

Dave also thinks a good chunk of NXT tv has no chance of getting called up.  Gargano, O'Reilly, Kushida, Ciampa, Dunne, etc.  Not really surprising.

I can't say I disagree with the change in philosophy.  NXT has lost the war with AEW and isn't likely to gain back traction with the NXT roster as it currently is.  Nor is the NXT roster likely to make a significant impact on the main roster.  So....It is probably time to try something else.

It's a weird situation because NXT suits my personal tastes way more than main roster WWE. But I agree with them restructuring. If the main roster is going to stay as is, then bringing in guys that don't fit the main roster mold is kind of a waste of resources. ROH style Tyler Black being remolded into WWE style Seth Rollins is what they want. Indies Keith Lee being sent up as indies Keith Lee annoys Vince. He wants people in the style he wants. So sending up round pegs for his square holes is dumb. I don't agree with what his vision in guys is, but it's not changing. So put your money and power behind making that happen vs hording guys you don't even want, just to keep them from AEW & New Japan.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ryan said:

How well did that work in the early 2010s anyway? I'm not analyzing it, you do it.

Funny you should mention that....

Alvarez says to Dave, so how far back are we going?  FCW and the silly gimmicks?

Dave says nah, Curtis Axel.  Tyson Kidd.  The first group of NXT.

????

I mean, every push they gave Hennig/McGuillicutty/Axel failed.  Kidd had some success as a tag wrestler, but his singles pushes died really quickly.  Besides being a little larger and a little younger, I'm hard-pressed to say what those guys had going for them that Cole and Ciampa don't.  Neither one of them ever drew much money for Vince.  Neither one of them drew elsewhere that I can recall.

So yeah, Vince is apparently a lot more nostalgic for the era of genesis of Mcgillicutty than the rest of us are.

Edited by Eoae

When I used to watch those old developmental shows, I realized that they basically ran people like it was a demo. Everybody got to be face, heel, champ, tag wrestler, comedy wrestler, etc… The recent NXT era has been to make it a 3rd brand, but also be a crash course to the main roster.

The higher ups basically want what they did originally, and that’s run a developmental that they own that does everything that those local independents did when they shipped talent there. I think Meltzer should’ve explained that better. Because this is how I’m reading this entire situation.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@The NaturalGreat list.. i would also add

vs. Becky Lynch at Takeover  

vs. Asuka at SummerSlam 2020 

vs. io Sharai at The Great American Bash 2020

vs. Ronda Rousey at Royal Rumble 2019

The Banks/Lynch match at Takeover was the best WWE match of the half-decade, IMO. 

Some days, it's my favorite WWE match ever, is how much I loved that thing. The joint work and selling were aces.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The Banks/Lynch match at Takeover was the best WWE match of the half-decade, IMO. 

Some days, it's my favorite WWE match ever, is how much I loved that thing. The joint work and selling were aces.

Agreed on the selling.. both of them sold their asses off.  i loved the spot where Sasha is selling the arm as she dives through the ropes. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 7:35 PM, Infinit said:

As a casual observer, Scurrl was more gimmick to me than great worker.

What a great gimmick it was/is. I'm actually surprised nobody did the plague doctor look before Marty did. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

There has been a return again to shorter tv matches on WWE shows, even below 6 or 2 mins. Fine with me anyway.

Vince Russo can't be far behind and quickly fired after trying to book every black wrestler as a pimp and never learning the names of anyone but like 7 main event guys.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:02 AM, Dog said:

Years ago I asked someone who watches a lot of wrestling what people saw in Scurll, and he told me, "He's a great villain."

"Oh yeah, then why does everyone cheer him?" ?

because heels are generally cooler than faces