DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

46 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Wait til they start banning chants. Only company-approved crowd noise, helpfully provided by the production team!

They can bring in Wildcat Willie to hold up Cheer and Boo signs. In theory, they could still have the costume in the warehouse. 

A-Kid vs Jordan Devlin is your bi-annual good NXT-UK match.

Bit odd that they went straight from a "Devlin keeps rolling out of the ring to frustrate Kid" spot, to a "Kid keeps throwing Devlin out of the ring to frustrate Devlin" spot, but you can't expect WWE matches to make sense.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s a standard policy, but it’s never been enforced for video capturing on your phone. Camcorders in the 90’s? Yeah ticket people went after them. 

Maybe they don’t want people capturing the audio manipulation? It seems very weird.

This all seems dumb. But I believe Vince believes the “WWE Universe” is part of the roster, so they need to be “Tested”.

If photos are allowed, how would one even go about enforcing a no recording on your phone policy at a gigantic arena like that? Seems like more hassle top to bottom than it's worth, even if it's about controlling the narrative. 

I'm betting some of the speculation on this is a little overblown, but can you imagine if going forward, everyone had to stow their phones into those little security pouches that they use for live comedy shows sometimes? Just let everyone know that you're making sure Jaakxzon Rykkar's new work doesn't leak out of context while he's still polishing it up.

• Haha 1

I just want to pop in to say that if I had a time machine, one of the frivolous things that I'd do with it is to travel back to about 2009, find myself, and tell myself that in the summer of 2021:

• The Rock will be starring in the #1 movie in America
  • John Cena will be starring in a movie that will also reach #1 in America
  • Triple H will be getting pushed out of the company by a bean-counter because his WWE-branded super-indy got rolled in the ratings by a company run by Cody Rhodes and Fulham FC's director of football. 

Then, 2021 Smelly would blink out of existence after 2009 Smelly dies of laughter. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I just want to pop in to say that if I had a time machine, one of the frivolous things that I'd do with it is to travel back to about 2009, find myself, and tell myself that in the summer of 2021:

• Triple H will be getting pushed out of the company by a bean-counter because his WWE-branded super-indy got rolled in the ratings by a company run by Cody Rhodes and Fulham FC's director of football. 

Then, 2021 Smelly would blink out of existence after 2009 Smelly dies of laughter. 

Don’t forget to tell yourself the Cody/Money Mark company just main evented on TNT with AARP member Chris Jericho vs known felon Nick Gage in a bloodbath.  

Wrestling is just getting crazier and you love to see it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

To add to that, promotions working together for the greater good in AEW, NJPW, IMPACT Wrestling and NWA.

• Like 1

With all of these WWE talent releases, I hope that Impact or even a new wrestling group emerges as a quality third option (and of course, works with AEW). As much as I love AEW and think that they do a good job of cycling the mid card guys in and out to go with top part of the card that features weekly, even I admit that they are getting a bit crowded with Andrade, Malakai Black, and likely Punk and Danielson now part of the company. Plus, a legitimate third company that works with AEW would allow for talent exchanges and guys moving around to stay fresh. 

Edit: I'm bearish on Impact being that just cause of years poor management that damaged their reputation, and their current TV situation being stuck on AXS. However, they are still the likeliest option among current American companies.

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 3

Yeah, but I mentioned those three guys specifically because of HHH coming up alongside The Rock and seeing himself at that level, but not getting that type of love, then thinking he's at Cena's level, but not getting that type of love...then not even getting the type of love Daniel Bryan or CM Punk got...then trying to buy smark love by becoming Papa HHH in NXT...then fucking even that up and being shoved to the periphery of the company...is a series of Ls that he'll never recover from. Like, he's had a pretty good life, but you know this dude is burning up inside. 

I love it.

And in 2009, people thought that he'd be running the company one day. 

Nope!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Don’t forget to tell yourself the Cody/Money Mark company just main evented on TNT with AARP member Chris Jericho vs known felon Nick Gage in a bloodbath.  

Wrestling is just getting crazier and you love to see it.

The fact that Gage was still alive would've stunned me more than anything.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You know I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like HHH.

I actually feel kind of bad for him in a way. I think a lot of what he's done to try and profit off other people's shine or to position himself so that he gets the love that he sees other guys getting is just from insecurity.

But also, it's really, really funny that all his scheming and plotting for the love and respect of the fans led him to where he is now. 

So, y'know, I've got mixed emotions, really. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I actually feel kind of bad for him in a way. I think a lot of what he's done to try and profit off other people's shine or to position himself so that he gets the love that he sees other guys getting is just from insecurity.

But also, it's really, really funny that all his scheming and plotting for the love and respect of the fans led him to where he is now. 

So, y'know, I've got mixed emotions, really. 

I feel bad for him for reals. If I had devoted this much time and effort into my legacy, the most well-received part of which is this EWR campaign (NXT) that gets fucked over at every turn, I would probably have a complete mental breakdown from which there would be no return.

This is what it's like to be married into a family headed by a raging narcissist. Now is HHH's time to be torn down and there's really nothing he can do about it. He's come this far, so he's absolutely stuck. Unless they actually end up releasing him too!

As a side note, they are doing all this and Kevin Dunn still has his job? Wouldn't that be a thing that is a positive cost cutting measure and would improve the product as well as the bottom line immediately, but noooo...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

You're giving him an escape clause?

"He was a shitcunt because he was insecure" is exactly the same as "He was a shitcunt." It just means his shitcuntery was ego-driven, which in no way makes it ok or deserving of sympathy. He made his own bed (or used others to make it for him), he can fucking rot in it.

• Thanks 1