DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

4 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I wouldn't think Tully is more past it than say Mr. Fuji during the Yokozuna run or Harley Race was with Vader.

Taz is an interesting case as him providing commentary for his people which is a dynamic change of the manager paradigm. I think it's interesting at least and somewhat cathartic for him to suffer vocally (much like Bobby Heenan's classic Royal Rumble performance even if he wasn't technically a manager at that point). The other managers (Vicky, Jake) suffer from not having chemistry with their charges and being pretty useless in terms of providing motivation and goals for their wrestlers. I think it helps when managers have multiple clients as it allows for a pattern to emerge so we can get insight into the manager's thought process.

When I think past it, I think Humperdink w/ the Freebirds in WCW, Albano with the Headshrinkers, or Tolos with Mr. Perfect. I don't see why Tully would be past it when he's a better talker than at least half the roster. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I wouldn't think Tully is more past it than say Mr. Fuji during the Yokozuna run or Harley Race was with Vader.

It's crazy to me that Tully today is 17 years older than Harley was when he managed Vader in 93.

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It's crazy to me that Tully today is 17 years older than Harley was when he managed Vader in 93.

It helps that drugs derailed his career so the punishment was far less if he had continued as an in ring performer. Harley was moving around bad five years PRIOR to managing Vader (and two to three years prior to managing Luger).

17 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Taz is an interesting case as him providing commentary for his people which is a dynamic change of the manager paradigm. I think it's interesting at least and somewhat cathartic for him to suffer vocally (much like Bobby Heenan's classic Royal Rumble performance even if he wasn't technically a manager at that point). The other managers (Vicky, Jake) suffer from not having chemistry with their charges and being pretty useless in terms of providing motivation and goals for their wrestlers. I think it helps when managers have multiple clients as it allows for a pattern to emerge so we can get insight into the manager's thought process.

Taz is one of the few guys who pull this off well. Most of the other times you get mangers doing commentary, it lapses way over into shouting at the ring, whereas Taz calls the action, roots for his guy a little, calls the action, suffers when his guy loses but isn't as over-the-top about it as most. I actually think he's leap years better on commentary now than he was on Smackdown or Impact back in the day (His commentary for Aces & Eights matches is basically the antithesis of him calling Team Taz matches).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I know that's kinda something associated with managers, but is that absolutely necessary though especially as a heel manager? Shouldn't the whole premise be you wanna punch them in the face but you can't? They're not suppose to be punching bags. That's what their clientele is for. Then, they get their comeuppance when it's absolutely necessary. And there are different ways you can do that without having that person taking flat backs. 

I feel that's the reason why Vince got so down on managers in the early to mid 90s and you saw very few of them as time went on (or they would show up and disappear very quickly). Then, I'm guessing later on decided you cannot be a manager unless you can actually wrestle as well.

Maybe not Bumps but I think to be able to have the babyface rough up the heel manager in the blow off match. Heenan, Cornette, Paul Bearer have all said this.

7 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Maybe not Bumps but I think to be able to have the babyface rough up the heel manager in the blow off match. Heenan, Cornette, Paul Bearer have all said this.

Yep, that's exactly my point. The blowoff. Hell, I will even give you a big stipulation match in the middle of a feud. Thing is if you're creative enough, you can embarrass a heel manager and don't even touch the motherfucker. Everyone can't be Heenan and take hellacious bump after bump. The issue is that you don't have that many strong babyfaces that can go back and forth with the heel manager. So the only way people can book the get back is by having the manager take the babyface's finish or something of that nature. That cannot be the only way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It helps that drugs derailed his career so the punishment was far less if he had continued as an in ring performer. Harley was moving around bad five years PRIOR to managing Vader (and two to three years prior to managing Luger).

LOL, the fact that Tully having a drug problem was ultimately good for his body in the long run just shows what kind of crazy fucked up life these guys live.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

LOL, the fact that Tully having a drug problem was ultimately good for his body in the long run just shows what kind of crazy fucked up life these guys live.  

I dunno what was funnier about Tully talking about his failed WWF drug test before Survivor Series 89 on Conrad's podcast with Arn: the fact Arn had to listen to a guy explain why he cost Arn his job and way to feed his family OR the fact Tully admitted he would have preferred to do MORE coke if the amount in his system when he got caught was so low.

I THOUGHT THIS GUY TURNED HIS LIFE OVER TO GOD?!

Did Arn not know about 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno what was funnier about Tully talking about his failed WWF drug test before Survivor Series 89 on Conrad's podcast with Arn: the fact Arn had to listen to a guy explain why he cost Arn his job and way to feed his family OR the fact Tully admitted he would have preferred to do MORE coke if the amount in his system when he got caught was so low.

Did Arn know about Tully's wacky plan to get out of his contract beforehand?

I don't think so because when Arn talks about striking a deal with Herd after the run in New York, he clearly knows the WWF door is closed for the time being. Herd acted as if Arn still had that option open (as in "if this offer isn't enough for you, you can always go back to Vince"), which pissed off Arn. So as much as Arn hated the travel and brutal schedule, I don't think losing his tag partner was part of trying to go back down South. With no Tully, he was sunk.

Fightful tweeted that Pete Dunne's contract is up soon

This doesn't mean they aren't trying to resign him but more another reminder that it looks like all those deals they signed folks to when AEW was becoming a thing are now coming up

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Fightful tweeted that Pete Dunne's contract is up soon

This doesn't mean they aren't trying to resign him but more another reminder that it looks like all those deals they signed folks to when AEW was becoming a thing are now coming up

They're going to start having issues with the crazy amount of talent they've had in NXT for the last few years that seemingly have no future outside of NXT.  Pete Dunne was almost fully formed when they started NXT UK back in 2018.  He's basically just been running in place for the last 3 years.  Eventually guys like him are going to want to jump off the treadmill and actually get in a race.

If Pete Dunne wants to stay in America, NXT is the best/ only place for him. On the main roster of WWE his lack of height and recent skinniness are going to condemn him to a comedy jobber role. In AEW, he'd feel like We have Marty Scurll at home. Impact or ROH would be a step down (and not having UK TV deals, would they even think him worth the investment?), and if he was doing US indies, he'd be doing UK indies again too. So he should probably stay put.

I’m interested to see who the first AEW contracted talent is the first to go the other way.  Their initial contracts will start to expire and as the main event begins to get top heavy the pastures of WWE might look greener.

27 minutes ago, EVA said:

6 months ago, I’d have said Dunne was a lock to stay, seeing as he’s one of HHH’s pets. But I’m not sure that’s as valuable of a position as that used to seem.

If Dunne ends up leaving, it's getting to a point where just about everyone of my current/recent favorites are gone, ruined or ruined themselves via problematic conduct. Not fun times, indeed.