DVDVR Message Board

August 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

The idea of Flair in AEW doesn't excite me one bit, they already have Arn, Tully and Jake Roberts as near-mutes.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

Man, the WWE and UFC fanbase got to the unlikable Ronda Rousey. Remember the boo boo face she pulled in WWE when booed. Rousey's a shitty person with her views on Sandy Hook and the LGBTQ+ community.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

The idea of Flair in AEW doesn't excite me one bit, they already have Arn, Tully and Jake Roberts as near-mutes.

Out of Tully, Arn, Vicky and Jake, Tully is the only manager who adds anything to his charge. Lance Archer doesn't need a mouth piece plus Jake towers over most of the roster. We all know Cody loves the sound of his own voice and vicky would work best somewhere else

• Like 1

If Flair being brought in to AEW to manage a faction, obviously to us it looks like The Wingmen is the best fit. But you just know that he himself would want to be out there with The Acclaimed. Especially today.

58 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The main problem with Jake is he can’t take bumps. That’s probably a big problem with a majority of their managers. As much as I love Taz, he’s stuck behind the booth because of his fucked up neck.

I know that's kinda something associated with managers, but is that absolutely necessary though especially as a heel manager? Shouldn't the whole premise be you wanna punch them in the face but you can't? They're not suppose to be punching bags. That's what their clientele is for. Then, they get their comeuppance when it's absolutely necessary. And there are different ways you can do that without having that person taking flat backs. 

I feel that's the reason why Vince got so down on managers in the early to mid 90s and you saw very few of them as time went on (or they would show up and disappear very quickly). Then, I'm guessing later on decided you cannot be a manager unless you can actually wrestle as well.

They’re still supposed to get involved in the action. If they don’t they tend to disappear in the background, and become irrelevant. I noticed that a lot with WWE managers in the 00’s. You didn’t even see people like Rosa getting on camera to pound on the mat.

I think if your a dude with chronic issues, and maybe have one of those Loyd’s deals you don’t want to chance it. Heenan sure didn’t.

This is why Matt Hardy is the best manager today in AEW. You can do it all.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They’re still supposed to get involved in the action. If they don’t they tend to disappear in the background, and become irrelevant. I noticed that a lot with WWE managers in the 00’s. You didn’t even see people like Rosa getting on camera to pound on the mat.

I think that's sort of the issue with the creativity. I think one of the last times I listened to Corny's podcast, he made a point about Tully not being utilized correctly and how he (Jim) would be asleep if he just had to stand out. I sorta agree with that, however, that doesn't necessarily mean he had to take bumps. I think he just meant hitting one of the babyfaces when they get thrown outside or putting his guy's leg on the rope to save him from a pinfall attempt. Basically just being a pest outside. I think once you getting into a mode where the babyfaces are always beating up the heel managers on a weekly basis, then it's overkill. Plus, you have a dynamic where the babyfaces are doing something heelish technically beating up someone who likely is an older person who cannot really defend themselves (even if said person is an asshole). I'm totally fine with the Arn Anderson/Malakai Black thing because 1) Arn isn't getting beat up every week and 2) it's a dastardly heel doing that to babyface manager who retired almost 25 years ago due to well known neck problems. 

I don't think managers should be in a place where they're physically involved in EVERY angle, storyline, or match. That's just way too much. Plus, they just got over having like 30-40 people out there every week and having a run-in/brawl/pull apart during every segment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Random idea = Kevin Nash as Anthony Bourdain visiting wrestlers in their home town, just shooting the shit and doing stuff.  One segment a week.   

I was disappointed when I found out Anthony Bourdain : Parts Unknown wasn’t a documentary about one of wrestling’s greatest destinations.

• Haha 8

The problem Tully is that he’s way past it to be a manager. Most of the great managers started in their 40’s. Again go watch an HFO match with Hardy as a manager. He is straight using all the old tricks of the past, and moving from one place to the next with no issues. The others dream they could do stuff like that.

This is the kind of place Austin, Hunter, and Shawn should’ve been when their careers wound down, instead of taking main events away. Taker too should’ve been with a monster in developmental.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The problem Tully is that he’s way past it to be a manager. Most of the great managers started in their 40’s. Again go watch an HFO match with Hardy as a manager. He is straight using all the old tricks of the past, and moving from one place to the next with no issues. The others dream they could do stuff like that.

He's still probably one of the better promos you're going to get and can convey a serious, threatening tone (much like a Jody Hamilton, who we lost yesterday). Compare that to Jake and sadly Arn as well, who've both lost a lot on that fastball.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Man, the WWE and UFC fanbase got to the unlikable Ronda Rousey. Remember the boo boo face she pulled in WWE when booed. Rousey's a shitty person with her views on Sandy Hook and the LGBTQ+ community.

Ronda right now:

20210803-200546.jpg

• Haha 3

I wouldn't think Tully is more past it than say Mr. Fuji during the Yokozuna run or Harley Race was with Vader.

Taz is an interesting case as him providing commentary for his people which is a dynamic change of the manager paradigm. I think it's interesting at least and somewhat cathartic for him to suffer vocally (much like Bobby Heenan's classic Royal Rumble performance even if he wasn't technically a manager at that point). The other managers (Vicky, Jake) suffer from not having chemistry with their charges and being pretty useless in terms of providing motivation and goals for their wrestlers. I think it helps when managers have multiple clients as it allows for a pattern to emerge so we can get insight into the manager's thought process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Ricky can hit the Canadian Destroyer pretty good. We need a new flippy move for old guys to use and elicit "you still got it" chants.

Everybody knows that Ric can't hit a move off the top rope, which is why it's going to shock people so much the first time he busts out the skytwister press.

• Haha 2