DVDVR Message Board

The "Let's make new fans of teams" project

SirFozzie

Let's try a little something to broaden our football-watching habits.

Tell me who you're a fan of currently (if any), and what sports networks/streaming services you have access to. I will randomly suggest a number of teams to become a fan of. Who knows, maybe it will cause more discussion in the main thread.

Peacock/NBC
English Premier League

ESPN/ESPN+
Men's Leagues: Spanish LaLiga (All 1st division, some 2nd Division) Bundesliga (1 and 2), A-League (Aus),  Belgian League. English League Championship (and some lower division games), Dutch Eredivise, Indian Super League,  Danish Super Liga, MLS (Shared), NCAA Soccer
Women's Leagues: Ligue 1 (FRA), NCAA Women's Soccer, W-League (Aus)

BeIN Sports
Ligue 1 (France)
Turkish Super League

GOL TV:
Liga NOS (Portugal)
Ecuador
Uruguay

CBS Sports
Italian Serie A (Starts August 2021)
Brazil Serie A

Argentine First Division

Scottish Premiership
NWSL

I'll even start with myself:

Fan of: Liverpool (EPL), Cambridge United (League One, England), Celtic (SPL)

Access to: All streaming services

Suggested fan of: Corinthians (Brazil). 

Reason: I did not know that Corinthians was named after a famed amateur English side, that was so committed to fair play and gentlemanly conduct, that they would purposefully allow their opponents to score on Penalty Kicks (figuring that if they had committed a foul, then the opponents deserved the goal), and would purposefully miss their own penalty kicks, thinking they were unearned goals for them. Despite this, they were one of the best teams in the early days (1880's-1890's)of English Football (despite never competing in anything but friendlies, they once beat a full-strength Manchester United side 11-3). Amongst other distinctions, their white uniforms were the inspiration for a team.. ahem.. less committed to fair play and gentleman-like conduct, that being Real Madrid. And because my friends joke that I'm a front-runner, cheering for Celtic and Liverpool amongst other teams, Corinthians (Paulista) are one of the most successful sides in the Brazillian Serie A, winning the national title 7 times.

You forgot the Russian Premier League (YouTube for $5 a month) Canadian Premier League (OneSoccer and Fox Soccer Plus) and USL (ESPN+). Wish I knew if there is a way to stream League Of Ireland, the Irish League (partial to Cliftonville myself), the Welsh League or any of the Central or Eastern European ones?

I'm a big fan of Bundesliga 2's FC St. Pauli. The reason is simple, I'm a third generation fan and my father even played for their second team at one point in the 70ies. The club had horrible years, dropped to the third division in the early 2000s, but used that time to get healthy. 

I do not have any streaming networks or such for sports alone since I have a severe dislike for where the sport as a whole is headed. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Harrogate Town. A family friend put money in the club when they were non-league and I've kept an eye on them since then. Their highlights are easy to find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 12:25 AM, sabremike said:

You forgot the Russian Premier League (YouTube for $5 a month) Canadian Premier League (OneSoccer and Fox Soccer Plus) and USL (ESPN+). Wish I knew if there is a way to stream League Of Ireland, the Irish League (partial to Cliftonville myself), the Welsh League or any of the Central or Eastern European ones?

Russian Premier League was free on YouTube last year. I caught a sporadic game here or there. 

Current fandoms:

EFL: Swansea City

MLS: Chicago Fire (complete garbage for many years, but got to support my local club.) 

I also have a tendency to root against specific teams in certain leagues: America FC in Liga MX, Real Madrid in La Liga, Arsenal in the Premier League, Fulham wherever they end up yo-yo wise. 

On 8/21/2021 at 8:57 AM, cubbymark said:

Russian Premier League was free on YouTube last year. I caught a sporadic game here or there. 

Current fandoms:

EFL: Swansea City

MLS: Chicago Fire (complete garbage for many years, but got to support my local club.) 

I also have a tendency to root against specific teams in certain leagues: America FC in Liga MX, Real Madrid in La Liga, Arsenal in the Premier League, Fulham wherever they end up yo-yo wise. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao

Similar to Swansea in that they have a great regional identification (In general, they only sign players from the Basque region of Spain), but still somehow still successful in the age of seemingly mandatory multiculturalism in football

Alright, here's who I follow:

EPL: Manchester United (fuck you, I do and have for years, even after they stopped winning)

SPL: Celtic

Serie A: AC Milan

MLS: NY Red Bulls

Northern Premier League Premier Division (England Lvl 7): FC United of Manchester (just follow, cant' really watch them.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 3:31 PM, SirFozzie said:

My suggestion: River Plate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atlético_River_Plate

Big name team in Argentina, rabid fans (just like the other teams that you follow)

Available via: Paramount+

I can’t say I follow Argentina as much as I’d like but I generally go for Boca before River. The Copa 90 documentary on Boca vs River is required viewing for any football fan.