DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I’ll posit the theory that this whole belt collector thing has gone as far as it can.  In my infantile brain.  I saw the path for Omega adding the New Japan title to the bunch with perhaps an empty challenge in the direction of WWE as it’s zenith.  I would really hate to lose all that build up.  But between Hangman’s family stuff and then awkward coordination of far too many other companies trying to do their own thing during a pandemic.  I get it that perhaps it has gone as far as it can.  

At least if one must pivot.  Pivot in the direction of Punk and Bryan.

Someone else where on the board suggested an idea that Omega/Christian “over deliver”.  At this point I’m thinking it going to be mandatory otherwise Christian is fucked in AEW.  If he nails it at the level of his series with Orton.  I’ll be satisfied.  But he might have to exceed even that just to start relevant in an increasingly more crowded pool of stars.

But hey!  It’s Christian.  He’s awesome.

• Like 2

We now have two matches set, Christian-Omega, which I am all on board with now thanks a great last week of building towards it, and Andrade-Pac, which should be pretty damn good in the ring (and I've kind of liked story setting it up, with Andrade trying to get the Lucha Brothers away from Death Triangle). I figure that Darby-Punk will be confirmed on Friday night (and I'll be cheering for Darby at All Out), and that will likely be the main event of the show. Also, it looks like it will be Sammy Guevara-Miro for TNT title, which  looks really exciting on paper (and while Miro is the favorite here, it's not crazy to think that Sammy could win). Rampage likely set up Statlander-Britt for the women's title, which is a solid women's title match (and while Britt will technically be the heel in the match, she will be the crowd favorite again in Chicago). Hoping that Cash Wheeler can return for All Out, as I'd love to see Santana and Ortiz-FTR get an opportunity to redeem themselves and shine on the PPV (and hopefully get a win for Santana and Ortiz before a title match with Bucks at Dynamite: Grand Slam). Speaking of Bucks, they do not have a natural title defense here, and you could likely get away with having them in say a multi-person match with how the rest of the card is shaping up (but I'd be stunned if they do not have a match of some sort on the card). While a part of me will still be disappointed not to see the Hangman title win in person (and has me contemplating a way to go to Full Gear), this still is shaping up to be a potentially awesome event (not to mention a possible debut of Bryan Danielson in AEW).

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'd like to see Omega hold the 10 Pounds of Gold... which I think is absolutely conceivable. I don't see any reason why not - it would only elevate the NWA and it would freshen them up a bit by finally taking it off Aldis. 

I actually don’t know about that, NWA has been pretty protective of its title.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Add CM Punk vs. Darby Allin w/ Sting to the card.  Damn.  Good shit. 

To announce that match right after maybe the biggest pop in history, with STING standing next to Darby in the rafters, that was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Looking forward to CM Punk vs. Darby Allin the most, Andrade vs. PAC and Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage out of the matches announced. Miro vs. Eddie Kingston will be another. Punk vs. Allin should headline going on last.

This card is so stacked. I wonder how they'll pace it.

What do you think about the tag title match? In my heart I want to see another Bucks vs. Lucha Bros, but they do seem to be heading towards a Jurassic Express title win. That's the thing though, I truly have no idea. I love that about this company.

• Like 2

I kinda wish Page-Omega happened here to truly make it their greatest card of all time, but I feel the match’s importante could have been diluted and lost in the shuffle a bit so I’m happy if it’s saved till Full Gear.

- CM Punk vs Darby

- Kenny Omega vs Christian

- PAC vs Andrade

- Young Bucks vs TBA in a cage

- PAUL WIGHT VS QT MARSHALL BABY

Potentially Miro vs Kingston, Sammy vs MJF, Britt vs Statlander?

Amazing looking so far and this is still leaving out so many people.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

TK doesn't really seem to care about giving crowds a break and tends to go 2 or 3 big matches in a row before the main event. I used to worry about that burning out a crowd, but the Chicago AEW PPVs haven't really had a problem with burn out. I expect All Out to be paced similarly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JRV said:

This card is so stacked. I wonder how they'll pace it.

What do you think about the tag title match? In my heart I want to see another Bucks vs. Lucha Bros, but they do seem to be heading towards a Jurassic Express title win. That's the thing though, I truly have no idea. I love that about this company.

I wonder as well.

#FTR are my first choice to end the Young Bucks AEW World Tag Team Championship reign then Santana and Ortiz. I wish #FTR were having the long reign the Bucks are. Hope Cash Wheeler is doing better since he s arm was tipped open.

I also love that about the company, there's times we have no idea and speculate what will happen next. Logical smart booking is AEW's strength and that is good shit, pal.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

#FTR are my first choice to end the Young Bucks AEW World Tag Team Championship reign then Santana and Ortiz.

I love FTR, but I think it has to be a face team that puts down the Bucks, and I don't much like the idea of FTR turning face.

I'm hoping it'll be Jurassic Express in the cage. FTR won their feud with Express, so that gives them a logical way to get back into the title picture.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

I love FTR, but I think it has to be a face team that puts down the Bucks, and I don't much like the idea of FTR turning face.

I'm hoping it'll be Jurassic Express in the cage. FTR won their feud with Express, so that gives them a logical way to get back into the title picture.

I'm thinking it'll be Jurassic Express though I'd go with Santana and Ortiz as the face team. Having said that, Jurassic Express are purer babyfaces with the exception of the irritant Marko Stunt. Rather Cupid Stunt.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I want the Bucks to retain at the pay-per-view but lose to Santana and Ortiz in New York, something I wanted to be before and even more now after listening to them on the AEW podcast. 

Also I am incredibly happy that the Monday after All Out is a paid holiday off because I have a feeling it's going to be a long, exciting, and exhausting night!

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 12:33 AM, Craig H said:

Woah...How do you leave Darby off? Dude is maybe their biggest draw.

Welp, I guess Tony Khan adequately addressed your concerns, homie.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I feel like Mox/Miro might be on at All Out. Mox was supposed to get Tanahashi(?) or another njpw star, but that appears to be on hold. I could see Miro/Kingston leading to Mox getting involved.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I feel like Mox/Miro might be on at All Out. Mox was supposed to get Tanahashi(?) or another njpw star, but that appears to be on hold. I could see Miro/Kingston leading to Mox getting involved.

Ishii, Suzuki and I believe ZSJ are coming over for the New Japan shows in Texas or California, wherever they are (I can’t remember). Who’s to say they don’t come over a little earlier than anticipated?

Maybe they’ll announce Miro/Kingston for Rampage this week, but if they don’t… gotta assume it’ll be at All Out the following week, unless it’s on one of the two shows leading up to the PPV.

I think Miro/Kingston is happening at All Out, personally. Mox shouldn’t be going after the TNT title either, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Ishii, Suzuki and I believe ZSJ are coming over for the New Japan shows in Texas or California, wherever they are (I can’t remember). Who’s to say they don’t come over a little earlier than anticipated?

Maybe they’ll announce Miro/Kingston for Rampage this week, but if they don’t… gotta assume it’ll be at All Out the following week, unless it’s on one of the two shows leading up to the PPV.

I think Miro/Kingston is happening at All Out, personally. Mox shouldn’t be going after the TNT title either, IMO.

I keep forgetting All Out is as soon as it is. You're probably right.