DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I feel like this is a strong counterexample to “TK still reads the board” because we’ve been saying that they should announce the suits beforehand for a while, and yet...

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

To my knowledge, aren't Adam Cole and Daniel Bryan (excluding Punk) the first two people to actively CHOOSE AEW over WWE? Everyone else had their hand forced by being released, but those two chose not to re-sign. Wonder how McMahon feels about that.

2 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

To my knowledge, aren't Adam Cole and Daniel Bryan (excluding Punk) the first two people to actively CHOOSE AEW over WWE? Everyone else had their hand forced by being released, but those two chose not to re-sign. Wonder how McMahon feels about that.

Chris Jericho... The EVPs... Ricky Starks... Brodie and FTR actively trying to get released... No, we've got plenty of these. 

I was more or less referencing people who were there. Like the EVPs wouldn't count but FTR most certainly would. Jericho I also wouldn't count as he was in at the ground level before AEW took off.

I guess Moxley counts too, but damn it it Danielsons doesn't feel bigger. He almost feels like the Hogan to this situation over Punk. I really think getting Danielson may be the biggest coo of all, even more than Punk 

Edit-Maybe it's because of how elite Bryan is in the ring still. He adds that layer of legitimacy to Elite Wrestling.

Edited by Krone Meltzer

Bryan’s a bigger deal in the sense that he was just with WWE and him leaving has an effect on their current plans and business. Punk is the bigger attraction because of his time away and the history of his WWE run. It was brilliant to get as many eyes on AEW through Punk so that then Danielson, the other debuts, and the card itself could leave a major impression. I think it’s way more important that Bryan and Punk get to use their rub on the up-and-comers and help season them than who’s the absolute top of the deck ace for AEW in the short term. If all goes well, we’ll be having those discussions about Darby, Jungle Boy, MJF, and Sammy in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

I guess what I'm trying to articulate is this. If WCW was "where the big boys play" before Hogan comes in, it feels empty because WCW doesn't have the "biggest boy". When they steal Hogan from WWF, they take their biggest star and legitimize themselves in the process.

Now I'm not saying AEW hasn't been legit all along, BUT when you take a star the level of Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson - a person who has been in multiple world title matches at WrestleMania - and arguably a (not the, but one of) face of the company (WWE) for a lot of fans that's a really really big get. You just sniped the best technical wrestler WWE has to offer and a former multi time world champion who is a part of some of, if not the biggest moments for said company in the past decade.

I'll take Bryan's stuff from Mania 30 or other stuff more recent and say it was more important  or bigger in the WWE Universe than anything Jericho, even Moxley, Brodie, FTR, ect have done. I don't know, this just actually feels like the biggest signing of all. I know Punk is really, but man, I can't put over enough how big I think this really is for AEW.

• Like 2

I really like Bryan's demeanor during his surprise and the scrum. Yeah, he couldn't help but smile to take it all in but it lasted a few seconds and it was all business from there on out. He's not here to uplift young guys but to kick their fucking heads in (he still talked about wanting to work with all the young guys because he can't help himself). There's an edge there that an ace needs that Punk hasn't quite shown yet, but likely will. Punk certainly started to show it near the end of the match and even his celebration afterwards. It's like the WWE personas of Punk and Danielson swapped and we've got chip on his shoulder Bryan and awe shucks Punk for now. I like it. Punk will regress to the mean and get his game face on and stop talking about wanting to do for the next generation what guys like Eddie did for him, but it's a nice change of pace for the time being. Danielson going back to his pre WWE persona rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I was more or less referencing people who were there. Like the EVPs wouldn't count but FTR most certainly would. Jericho I also wouldn't count as he was in at the ground level before AEW took off.

I guess Moxley counts too, but damn it it Danielsons doesn't feel bigger. He almost feels like the Hogan to this situation over Punk. I really think getting Danielson may be the biggest coo of all, even more than Punk 

Edit-Maybe it's because of how elite Bryan is in the ring still. He adds that layer of legitimacy to Elite Wrestling.

One way in which Danielson might feel like a bigger deal because he's not really rejecting WWE, so much as he's choosing something else. FTR, Moxley, and of course Punk could be written off as malcontents who just were never going to be happy, and with whom there would always be a disconnect between how they and WWE saw themselves. But Danielson is a famously easy guy to work with, who, even now, really has nothing bad to say about WWE or Vince, his time working there, his pay, booking, any of it. They would have happily paid him millions and presented him as a consistent main eventer with a high degree of creative freedom. (To a lesser extent you could say this about Cole, too.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

My wife and I got very teary eyed for not only Ruby coming out, but winning the damn thing. I have a ton of pride for my hometown and the cool people that come from it. She's always making us proud.

Yeah, Ruby, DB, and Adam Cole all seem to be reenergized.  I just hope the ticket and merch sales can support this payroll.  AEW's roster is crazy and is not exactly full of people that you're paying per appearance anymore.

AEW does appear to be dragging Impact upwards as it rises, so there's that.  Here's hoping AEW's other partners like AAA and NJPW Strong are also seeing some benefit

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I guess what I'm trying to articulate is this. If WCW was "where the big boys play" before Hogan comes in, it feels empty because WCW doesn't have the "biggest boy". When they steal Hogan from WWF, they take their biggest star and legitimize themselves in the process.

Now I'm not saying AEW hasn't been legit all along, BUT when you take a star the level of Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson - a person who has been in multiple world title matches at WrestleMania - and arguably a (not the, but one of) face of the company (WWE) for a lot of fans that's a really really big get. You just sniped the best technical wrestler WWE has to offer and a former multi time world champion who is a part of some of, if not the biggest moments for said company in the past decade.

I'll take Bryan's stuff from Mania 30 or other stuff more recent and say it was more important  or bigger in the WWE Universe than anything Jericho, even Moxley, Brodie, FTR, ect have done. I don't know, this just actually feels like the biggest signing of all. I know Punk is really, but man, I can't put over enough how big I think this really is for AEW.

Yeah, I get it. Even people who've been stars in AEW will be further legitimized by going toe-to-toe with guys like Danielson. This isn't like Jericho, where he was outside of the title picture for a while because of his age. This is a 2021 Wrestlemania headliner. I don't like the "the stars are finally here" shtick but Omega got over in Japan because he beat the top guys in Japan. Beating Chris Jericho in 2020 isn't the same (though he lost their only singles match in AEW). Danielson should have the shortest queue to the title than any of the other bigger names to debut in AEW so far, Christian included. Give him one or two matches to get him ranked and get him and Omega going ASAP. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

I wonder if Andrade will eventually beat up Chavo for sticking his nose into business. 

My joke in the chat was that Pepe was the one who changed the flight. He could always pull that out of his back pocket. 

And yeah, I hate to agree with Vince in any way, but Andrade IS really hard to understand. And that is usually no problem with me. 

32 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'm not denying it's a big signing. It's a huge deal and an important contributing element to the growing enthusiasm around the company. I'm just articulating that, strictly speaking, Bryan and Cole are very far from the first to actively choose AEW over its largest competitor as you were wondering about earlier. I know Christian and Andrade aren't setting everyone's world on fire, but they're right there. ? 

Bryan is the biggest deal so far as he’s someone who wasn’t being misused and didn’t seem to be unhappy with his treatment in WWE.

The guy literally main event Wrestlemania about 4 months ago, so he’s definitely the biggest star to “jump ship” so far. Only ones that I think would come off as more shocking would be Cena, Reigns or maybe Brock.

Edited by eikerir

@Goodearbrought up a good point and that is the slower pace of some of these matches on the card. The Women's Title match, Jericho/MJF, and Darby/Punk all felt slow in comparison to the typical PWG AEW go-go style and it helped the card breathe. They need more of this going forward. 

Also there were Miro/King and Mox/Kojima, but I wasn't getting a feel of pace in those, instead more of stiffness. And speaking of stiffness Suzuki is really gonna show the crowd what that is with his elbows, those things have evolved into a Misawa level of jaw-cracking force. You can tell by sound alone. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I get it. Even people who've been stars in AEW will be further legitimized by going toe-to-toe with guys like Danielson. This isn't like Jericho, where he was outside of the title picture for a while because of his age. This is a 2021 Wrestlemania headliner. I don't like the "the stars are finally here" shtick but Omega got over in Japan because he beat the top guys in Japan. Beating Chris Jericho in 2020 isn't the same (though he lost their only singles match in AEW). Danielson should have the shortest queue to the title than any of the other bigger names to debut in AEW so far, Christian included. Give him one or two matches to get him ranked and get him and Omega going ASAP

A quick win over Colton Gunn is sure to shoot him up the rankings. This is what they've been waiting for.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Krone Meltzer said:

A quick win over Colton Gunn is sure to shoot him up the rankings. This is what they've been waiting for.

Do you really want to fuck with the hottest act in wrestling for this?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Do you really want to fuck with the hottest act in wrestling for this?

I mean I get where you're coming from, but if the end result is Hook vs. Bryan Danielson - I think it may be worth the sacrifice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Late to the party. Ordered the replay on Monday (avoided social media for two days) and just finished it.

First PPV I ordered in 20 years and worth every cent. Can’t remember an event where I was invested in every match. My least favourite match was the battle royal and even that was memorable. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Last time a main eventer at a Wrestlemania appeared in another company within 6 months? Yeah DB is a big get. Punk too. They got a months of matches to make up.  Just months. So many angles and possibilities. 

The closest instance I can think of is Nash working Undertaker at Mania 13 March 31st 1996 and then showing up on Nitro June 10th. Hasn't happened often.