DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They came close..     i'm not even entirely sure how they didn't.    Japan was going to be tough to crack but they stole the whole U.S. indy scene and the uk.   

if any one thing happens differently...    

Cody was bummed so he leaves.  Bucks and Omega were rumored to WWE for a year or so after they had signed AJ Styles.  

Then someone gets in Jericho's ear...   

i mean we joke about Cody, Jericho and even The Elite but NONE of this happens without those 5 guys.  None of it.  

Completely. All the pieces needed to fit, without them, nothing. It’s an amazing story and it’s made so many people happy again, fans and people in the business alike. I actually hate the distain I have for WWE because they have done so many good things for people inside and outside of the business. But you just cannot ignore what they have tried to do to something so many people love so much and how little they actually care for the reality of what their product actually is. 

• Like 1

Can we talk about how good CM Punk looks in full wrestling tights? I like that he went with that instead of going back to the basketball shorts or trunks like before. Snuck in a Bret Hart/123 Kid spot in that match, the sit-up counter to the Coffin Drop, both times he hit the Go2Sleep it looked crisp... man, I'm so excited to see him wrestle again more in the future. The start of that match was obviously designed to work around the 7 year layoff and get the ring rust out, but after that initial first 5 minutes or so... fuckin' clobbering time, baby.

Wasn't a five star match, ironically it was a pretty good "WWE style" type match, but all that said... favorite match of the night, bar none. Because I love Punk, so so so much. I'm so fuckin' happy.

• Like 13

I know everybody was kinda sick of MJF/Jericho by this point, but I thought they had a good match tonight. MJF landing that Asai moonsault on his feet and feeding into the apron bomb was something else. I hope his next big feud is more in-ring based than this Inner Circle story was, because I think he’s got a lot more to offer there than what he’s been able to show for the past year.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Can we talk about how good CM Punk looks in full wrestling tights? I like that he went with that instead of going back to the basketball shorts or trunks like before. Snuck in a Bret Hart/123 Kid spot in that match, the sit-up counter to the Coffin Drop, both times he hit the Go2Sleep it looked crisp... man, I'm so excited to see him wrestle again more in the future. The start of that match was obviously designed to work around the 7 year layoff and get the ring rust out, but after that initial first 5 minutes or so... fuckin' clobbering time, baby.

Wasn't a five star match, ironically it was a pretty good "WWE style" type match, but all that said... favorite match of the night, bar none. Because I love Punk, so so so much. I'm so fuckin' happy.

So true.

Just a lovely pro-wrestling match, holds, telling a story, near falls, bang. No need to be anything else as it wasn’t meant to be. 

So nice to have Punk back. Just a guy I can never tire of as he’s true to himself and what he believes. I can’t think of a more authentic guy in the business.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Glad you enjoyed CM Punk vs. Darby Allin, @Casey knowing how big a CM Punk fan you are. Cool how CM Punk switched his in ring gear from trunks to tights for a new look. Really enjoyed the callback to Bret Hart vs. 123 Kid from RAW, 11th July 1994.

• Like 1

Alright, having taken a few hours to digest that entire show, all I can say is that was awesome. The cage match had me worried, I genuinely was concerned that someone (either Fenix or Nick) were going to do something crazy. Enjoyed the entrance and what a moment there.

Seeing a fatherly Pentagon with his kids was fucking awesome too. That emotion right there at the end was all too real.

Baker and Statlander had a really good match that is going to be lost in the shuffle of what was a fantastic card. I'm so happy the crowd knew enough to sing along to Kaze Ni Nare - made that moment even more epic.

I will say this though, Jericho's entrance was a botch and he knew it. However the crowd really tried to save it and eventually did in my opinion chanting "Jericho" before the match. Great assist by the crowd. 

Let's talk about that ending. How perfect is it for Adam Cole to join the elite - and Bryan Danielson to be the guy coming in to kick some fucking skulls in. I mean perfection is an understatement. Euphoric. Even jealousy for not being in attendance at such a historic event.

Truly a spectacle. And to think Tony considers Revolution their Mania... no shot. For my money it's All Out.

• Like 8

The show is so great to me because we are seeing how happy it's made everyone. It's insane the stretch we've had since Punk debuted to now and it feels like a huge malaise has been lifted off the wrestling community. This smile won't leave my face!

• Like 6

Liked the show. And petty grievance posting about other companies seems to be occupying fewer posts than before, so maybe the audience is maturing. Or not. At least the stars are finally here. Yay. An honest to god proper wrestling promotion appears to be emerging. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Will we ever see a Pepsi Plunge from Punk again? Probably not, but Darby seems like the guy to do it on and it would be a nice touch of escalation/growth for Darby should Punk need it to beat him a second time. Fuck, I was so nervous for Punk but it turned out really well.

I can't really explain why I like pro wrestling. But I will say when wrestling is good and it's done right, there's nothing else like it. When you can actually deliver on those big moments, like if you could bottle up tonight's event and sell it, maybe it's not perfect, but tonight's event is a perfect example of it. If it wasn't perfect All Out was nigh-perfect.

Like virtually nothing annoyed me or frustrated me tonight. The closest thing to a dud was Paul Wight vs. QT Marshall, but even that I found inoffensive and did its job.

The cage match was match of the night for me and a strong contender for Match of the Year. I was there live for both teams' first match with each other at the first AEW show. So it was cool that they met again a little over two years later, and this felt like the rightful blowoff with the Lucha Bros. finally going over and winning the belts.

The ending was pretty much perfect to me. First the double-fakeout with Adam Cole, who you maybe figured was possibly coming to AEW but weren't sure he was coming tonight then turns on the babyfaces and joins the Elite. But the fans were not denied Bryan Danielson either.

And then you see some WWE bootlickers on Twitter trying to ruin this for everybody and I wish I could reach through my monitor and theirs and smack them upside their moronic heads.

Punk/Darby was fine and did what it needed to do. Punk is 42 and hasn't wrestled in over 7 1/2 years. At least it picked up in the last five minutes. The middle section was flabby but it ended strong.

I've voiced a fair amount of criticisms of Christian Cage, but he looked good tonight and he worked a main event match tonight. He did not look or move like a 47-year-old man.

I loved MJF's entrance the fact that he teased the Y2J Millennium Man entrance and then trolled the audience with "THE LAST MATCH OF CHRIS JERICHO" is probably my favorite thing of the entire show.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Punk used so little of what used to be his signature offense. I'm fascinated. Can't wait to see what he does next. Bring on a TV match vs Danny Garcia. 

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Punk seemed to avoid any moves that required landing on his ass, or hip.

He also didn’t really do martial arts. It was closer to his ROH work in a lot of ways.

No Anaconda Vice, that was the biggest move missing. Always liked that hold. Glad the top rope elbow was given a miss. May it stay that way.

Remember when people said the exploding barbed wire match was going to kill the company?

AEW hasn't been around long enough to have multiple eras, but this show just started its second one. Only shows that were comparable in the last decade were WM 30 and NXT R-Evolution, but this show rolled it all into one. It really feels like you have the present and future of wrestling, presented with the  reverence and grandeur it deserves.

• Like 1

I don't know where to start. First of all, this is the only time I've ever logged in to this message board with the intention of liking as many of your posts as I possibly could, because I knew there was going to be a lot said that I would love and agree with in connection to this epic pro wrestling card.

Second: I am a totally unapologetic NJPW homer, but recently, I've been making an effort to get in to AEW more in the lead-up to this show. It has been obvious something has been brewing with this company, and I've wanted to see it for myself. This stands up there with all of the recent Wrestle Kingdoms for me in terms of quality, emotion, and overall enjoyment.

That said...this show was beautiful because it felt like it was booked just for me, but it was booked for all of you, too. I was grinning like a total idiot while the crowd cheered for Satoshi Kojima, a wrestler who I really have a soft spot for. So what's next? Finally seeing a big U.S. crowd chant "Kaze Ni Nare" for another one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. They could've stopped there, and I'd have been fine. It has been literally years since I've reacted this way to pretty much anything.

The cage match was ridiculous, yet great. Penta can really be annoying with the "Cero Miedo" taunt spam, but he absolutely knows how to shine under the bright lights. Fenix is an amazing wrestler, period.

I'm not the biggest Ruby Soho fan, but seeing her emotions out there was heartwarming, and AEW made her feel like a big deal on arrival. Well done.

The door is now open for Bryan Danielson vs. everybody dream matches. I sincerely hope everybody stays healthy and the relationships between all of these promotions stays friendly. I mean...some of these wrestlers aren't exactly young anymore, but can still go. I feel an immense possibility, yet urgency. As fans, many of the matches that are now on the table for us were mere hypotheticals even a year ago. But...there's maybe a 3-5 year window (at best) to make a lot of things happen, and I wonder if or how it will all be squeezed in now that seemingly everything is possible.

I stopped watching WWE a long time ago...and in my mind, "end of history" sorts of comments tend to age about as well as milk...but it really seems like WWE is truly irrelevant in the professional wrestling landscape now. Everything great about pro wrestling is happening elsewhere, and you'd think all of the great talents left on WWE's roster (and don't get me wrong, there are many. The problems have never been with the wrestlers themselves) have to be seeing that.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

AJ must have insisted on Punk wearing pants. If a locker room lothario is going back into the biz, no tiny panties, son.

Well yes and no. She seemed ready for some Darby/Punk shipping (if you can read the tiny writing).

Spoiler

6uscah8cxsl71.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1