DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I correctly predicted Mox, Kenny, Britt, and Pretty Fly for a Wight Guy to win; and I correctly picked Ruby Soho as the Joker. However, I predicted Eddie over Miro, MJF over Jericho (mainly because I wanted an old school territory angle where Jericho comes back as masked Canadian luchador Le Champion), The Bucks to retain, Punk/Darby to be a wash due to interference, and Thunder Rosa to win the Battle Royale. Even though I hate to be wrong, that was one hell of a show. Easily the best PPV I have ever watched as it happened, and possibly the best ever. I was a bit disappointed that Dan Lambert's crew didn't interrupt the AFKABS and QT Marshall match by stomping a mudhole in all parties; but other than that...WOW! Everyone was on their game tonight. I don't see how any CM Punk fans checking out AEW for the first time wouldn't be absolutely flabbergasted at the greatness of the company. I hope a ton of new fans were created. 

• Like 8

Quick reaction is that this was an amazing show and probably favorite since WrestleMania X7 for me. Even after more than 4 hours of show before the main  event I was still invested and Christian and Omega did a fine job closing it out. Brian showing up was awesome. Wrestling is fun again.

• Like 5

Bryan Danielson after the PPV went off the air, apparently:

I loved where I worked before. And still left. There are reasons why. One, the great talent in AEW. When you see me here and CM Punk here and Christian here and Ruby Soho. Thank the original members of AEW. The second reason: goddam, you guys are the best fans in the world. The third reason — I am a wrestler. I never left wrestling. I took wrestling wherever I went. I said wrestling when I wasn’t supposed to say it. Now, I am here to goddam wrestle.

• Like 21

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

We wish WWE all the best in their future endeavors.

Yep. That's it. 

Whatever this 'war' has been, or was going to be, AEW ended it tonight.

They play to all the strengths of their roster.

The booking is tight and makes sense.

The ending was PERFECT with Cole coming out as a swerve for everyone expecting Bryan. Then he turns heel. Then the AMERICAN FUCKING DRAGON walks that aisle to send the heels running...

God damn...

Moving forward I hope Paul Wight wrestling is saved for a couple matches a year tops. Keep him a special attraction to punk a low card heel now and then.

Speaking of Punk. I want two things from him before he goes after the belt - A GTS fight with KENTA and for him to sit down in the ring to cut a promo, have the lights go out, and then Black is sitting in the ring across from him.

It's insane how stacked AEW is and yet, it's doesn't feel as insanely bloated as WWE did.

So many guys can move up and down the card without feeling demoted. The emphasis on tag teams and stables helps with that, big time.

They absolutely NAILED this and we still have the return of PAC, the in ring debut of Danielson and Adam Page's World Title crowning to come...

Holy fuck what a time to be a wrestling fan!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

The only thing stopped AEW right now is the Khan losing millions of dollars in some form or fashion.   

When the worst match on the show was the match that was intended to be the cool down then you hit a home run.   I didn't like the women's battle royal as much as others because I thought most of the early eliminations were kind of stupid and obvious looking but once Ruby showed up then it became damn good

• Like 2

Cole is such a dick. Everyone knows it, but even seeing him in the ring with Kenny, it was never gonna happen for Cole in the main roster. Great move for him. 

Can’t wait for Mox to finish his NJPW summer and get back to his comment about all these outsiders showing up and confronting them. 

eddie needs an immediate rematch. 

• Like 3

Still pissed that Eddie didn't win, but that was a great show. Kojima/Mox was surprisingly good. Women's match was MOTN to me. Cage match was INCREDIBLY STUPID. 

In the chat: During the Wight match we talked about Western movies. During the main we talked about Winnepeg, Gary, Camden, and drugs.

MINORU SUZUKI

• Like 3

So I didn’t think I’d ever be interested in another AEW show after the explosion embarrassment a long while back. I was wrong.

It isn’t close to my favorite wrestling show ever (I mean, really?), but it was very fun. Doubt any of the matches are worth a rewatch, but I’m not disappointed I purchased the show.

The Adam Cole fake-out got me.

• Like 2

Needless to say that was worth every penny. Miro/Kingston was a fun hoss vs brawler match. The finish didn't come off well, but I doubt their feud is over anyways. Lucha Bros/YBs was way over the top at times, but I wanted blood and crazy highspots and they delivered. Punk looked a little rusty, but didn't look sloppy at any point during the match. Darby was the perfect guy to reintroduce him to wrestling. Main Event was fantastic and the ending was absolutely the right way to go. The only complaint I have is that Wight/Marshall should have been switched on the card with Baker/Statlander. It was a missed opportunity to have a cool stare down with Soho and Baker.

Edited by Hector

2 minutes ago, doctorhbomb said:

So I didn’t think I’d ever be interested in another AEW show after the explosion embarrassment a long while back. I was wrong.

It isn’t close to my favorite wrestling show ever (I mean, really?), but it was very fun. Doubt any of the matches are worth a rewatch, but I’m not disappointed I purchased the show.

The Adam Cole fake-out got me.

This! Thank you for saving me the effort of typing my full thoughts on this ppv. lol

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Yep. That's it. 

Whatever this 'war' has been, or was going to be, AEW ended it tonight.

They play to all the strengths of their roster.

The booking is tight and makes sense.

The ending was PERFECT with Cole coming out as a swerve for everyone expecting Bryan. Then he turns heel. Then the AMERICAN FUCKING DRAGON walks that aisle to send the heels running...

God damn...

Moving forward I hope Paul Wight wrestling is saved for a couple matches a year tops. Keep him a special attraction to punk a low card heel now and then.

Speaking of Punk. I want two things from him before he goes after the belt - A GTS fight with KENTA and for him to sit down in the ring to cut a promo, have the lights go out, and then Black is sitting in the ring across from him.

It's insane how stacked AEW is and yet, it's doesn't feel as insanely bloated as WWE did.

So many guys can move up and down the card without feeling demoted. The emphasis on tag teams and stables helps with that, big time.

They absolutely NAILED this and we still have the return of PAC, the in ring debut of Danielson and Adam Page's World Title crowning to come...

Holy fuck what a time to be a wrestling fan!!!

Malakai Black behind Punk, and as he gets up, falls victim to Black Mass (i think thats his finisher?)  yes!  but, that has to be way down the line (offspring song reference for my crazy taxi people).  Because i would honestly like to see a promo battle between Punk, best in the world,  and Mjf im better than you, and you know it, first.  however, how could he not get involved in this Bryan Danielson/Elite feud?!?

AEW has all the Draw Four and Reverse cards in one on one Uno right now lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to draw special attention to the phenomenal jobs done by Bryce and Aubrey in the Miro/Kingston and MJF/Jericho matches. Bryce's positioning and timing during the turnbuckle gaff and low-blow were as precise as you could ever ask for and drew REAL heat. AEW waiting this long to run a true Dusty finish was handled perfectly and Aubrey's reactions and registering of the moment shows a subtle sort of talent that's very hard to teach. Quietly stupendous, the both of them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 13

My God the AEW Depth Chart right now

Good guys:

Danielson, Punk, Hangman, Allin, Mox, Christian, Kingston, Jungle Boy, Jericho, Sammy

Bad guys:

Omega, Miro, Cole, Black, Andrade, Pac (tweener), MJF

Jesus H Christ

I can safely say (especially with Jericho likely going away for a while) that any combination of columns A and B I am all in on. It doesn’t even matter. Everyone is over!

• Like 6

As exciting as Cole, Punk and Bryan being in AEW is... I'm now officially worried about Hangman's story. Despite everything, I still think that's the right call to run with, but I don't know how much longer you can keep hanging onto that story when you just teased Danielson/Omega, Punk is going to be at the top sooner or later, and then Adam Cole will likely sow the seeds of dissention in the Elite because that's what he does.

• Like 1