DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I too think it would be smart to bring in Punk or Danielson now instead of waiting to debut them on a big show. If Punk comes out on Wednesday and says nothing then fans will go nuts and come back in droves for the following week. Then the next week, the Dynamite before the United Center Rampage, Punk cuts a short promo saying that if you want to know more then tune in on Friday.

Someone else said it, but AEW has been very good about getting fans excited about "what next" and giving them a reason to keep tuning in. So keep doing these promoted appearances by Punk, Danielson, and whoever else to keep bringing fans back week after week.

Respectfully disagree. Punk debuting in front of 3,000 in Jacksonville is decisively  not  the right time or place for his debut. Debuting in front of a  hot  sold out crowd in his home town in the big building the Bulls play in, is. I get the advertise side of the debate. That's where my head was at last week and thought it was baffling they were trying to sell tickets on a wink wink nudge nudge. Then they sold out in 4 minutes. They know what they're doing, we're just not patient enough for it / used to it. The big thing missing from wrestling is the "anything can happen" vibe. They promote the hell out of everything. Surprises are welcome. Yes maybe they'd get a .2 higher rating if they advertised. But that's not worth sacrificing that insane pop for when he shows up unannounced. Like kinda wink wink announced but not really.

I bet the August 20th Rampage episode hits 1.5 million. Even without it being explicitly announced ahead of time.

• Like 3

Rampage at the United Center should start with a heel (I say QT) coming out and cutting some smarmy promo

:cue Cult of Personality: 

Quick offensive showcase squash by Punk, followed by a celebratory comeback promo in front of his hometown crowd.

Chicago gets Punk's return and first match, without blowing through a marquee match up.

Easy Peasy!

It’ll probably be Sirius + Doing their best version of the Bulls laser light show then *Cue Cult of Personality*. Followed by *lights out lights on* Darby gets all up in CM Punk’s business. 

Might even see the return of Ethan Page to crash the party.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Respectfully disagree. Punk debuting in front of 3,000 in Jacksonville is decisively  not  the right time or place for his debut. Debuting in front of a  hot  sold out crowd in his home town in the big building the Bulls play in, is. I get the advertise side of the debate. That's where my head was at last week and thought it was baffling they were trying to sell tickets on a wink wink nudge nudge. Then they sold out in 4 minutes. They know what they're doing, we're just not patient enough for it / used to it. The big thing missing from wrestling is the "anything can happen" vibe. They promote the hell out of everything. Surprises are welcome. Yes maybe they'd get a .2 higher rating if they advertised. But that's not worth sacrificing that insane pop for when he shows up unannounced. Like kinda wink wink announced but not really.

I bet the August 20th Rampage episode hits 1.5 million. Even without it being explicitly announced ahead of time.

To be honest, I forgot they were in Jacksonville on Wednesday, so yeah, maybe pass on that.

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

JJ Dillon looked like such a dork when he kept offering undercard nWo members for Stings comeback...everyone was yelling HOGAN...

”Sting, I don’t know what you want!?”

It was glorious.

Yeah, way to make the former manager of the Four Horsemen a dipshit. I was 12 and my Sister 9 and we knew what Sting wanted

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Rampage at the United Center should start with a heel (I say QT) coming out and cutting some smarmy promo

:cue Cult of Personality: 

Quick offensive showcase squash by Punk, followed by a celebratory comeback promo in front of his hometown crowd.

Chicago gets Punk's return and first match, without blowing through a marquee match up.

Easy Peasy!

I aggressively disagree.

A CM Punk return has been the single most important thing that could happen during a wrestling show for over half a decade. When it happens, the stakes must be high. Anyone wrestler who is present when it happens will be elevated by sheer proximity. You shine that fucking beacon from mountain top.

17 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I aggressively disagree.

A CM Punk return has been the single most important thing that could happen during a wrestling show for over half a decade. When it happens, the stakes must be high. Anyone wrestler who is present when it happens will be elevated by sheer proximity. You shine that fucking beacon from mountain top.

How else can they a) not give away a unadvertised marquee match up and b) not screw out the Chicago fans out of not having a Punk match on that Rampage?

The tried and true way would be for him to fuck up Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky to save Darby before squaring up with Allin. That would be massive and well worth the price of admission for most I would think. Maybe promo, probably not on TV, but one for the fans. Or perhaps you start the show off with that because the crowd could hijack (will hijack?) the show until they get what they want. 

Edited by Jiji

Jokes on you, Sammy's nickname is 'The Best Ever' Sammy Guevara. Implying that there are other, less good Sammy Guevaras out there, somewhere in space and time, envying him.

• Haha 3

Just now, AxB said:

Jokes on you, Sammy's nickname is 'The Best Ever' Sammy Guevara. Implying that there are other, less good Sammy Guevaras out there, somewhere in space and time, envying him.

Loki and Sylvie have a lot to answer for!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

It's like Jet Li's The One.  Our dimension's Sammy taking out every other dimension's Sammy with flippy do's until he's the most powerful version.

• Haha 5

On 8/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What AEW should be doing more than anything is advertising. Like I never see a single AEW ad on YouTube ever. You’d think with my wrestling viewing habits I would with the way they target advertise.

I have subscribed to their channel and have reminders set.  No need for targeted advertising.

56 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have subscribed to their channel and have reminders set.  No need for targeted advertising.

I actually just noticed they’ve been airing new ads on Dark that look like ads you see in a local market, so they might finally be doing it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 8/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

The same people that said "That tattoo is a really good idea, Cody!". 

No one said that.

If you do find someone who said that, try pinching him to see if he's real.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 2