DVDVR Message Board

All Out III - 9/5/2021

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Really? I don’t think he’s ever looked better until he dyed his hair. His black hair now is the one that looks fake for some reason. It’s like Dolph Ziggler going black that one week.

It looked fake because he dyed it jet black because of the death of superman we were all too ignorant to pick up on. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Really? I don’t think he’s ever looked better until he dyed his hair. His black hair now is the one that looks fake for some reason. It’s like Dolph Ziggler going black that one week.

Yeah, to go with what Jiji said I'm not talking dying it back to that color.  I mean just not dye his hair at all and let it go back to how he had it.

Also, if he wanted to go "Death of Superman" the lack of hair dye might have helped his chances of getting the point across.  Well that and not dressing like he did too.

Eh, it's not really a hill I'm planning to die on so we'll just agree to disagree.

As for All Out I'm really curious to see how big the numbers get.  I know buyrates and ratings matter yet don't matter for all kinds of reasons.  But it'll be interesting to see with the momentum they have plus the strong rumors just how many people tune in to see what happens.  In talking with friends who will come over to watch the excitement is already sky-high so it's going be a pretty wild night.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The blonde look should be saved for gimmick matches so you know Cody is gonna blade and bleed all over the arena. 

"That's right Kenny, the name on the contract for All Out does read Adam... only it doesn't read Adam Page, it reads... ADAM COLE BAY BAY"

Alright, all of these rumors and releases are just starting to make me feel like I'm playing Total Extreme Wrestling again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As for Cody, the tattoo still doesn't bug me and I tend to ignore it. The blonde hair I think is a must, but it's going to lead to that dude's hair falling out from frying his darker hair all the time. The thing that I don't like about Cody the most right now is that I really, truly think he thinks Homelander is really cool, which is a take I didn't think anyone would have. Or he thinks how Homelander looks is really cool, which, in terms of wrestling gear, maaaaaybe?

• Like 2

If I'm booking ? I'd have Darby close Dynamite this week and Punk interrupts him. Cash in on the hype. The pop in Chicago will be nuclear even if it isn't a surprise. 

Said it in another thread but Adam Cole is a better promo than anybody else in The Elite. Absolutely zero reason he couldn't be immediately slotted in with them. 

Finally, wanna make the TNT Championship the AEW US Championship? Have MIRO declare that, since he and his hot American wife reside in Tennessee ??????

I too think it would be smart to bring in Punk or Danielson now instead of waiting to debut them on a big show. If Punk comes out on Wednesday and says nothing then fans will go nuts and come back in droves for the following week. Then the next week, the Dynamite before the United Center Rampage, Punk cuts a short promo saying that if you want to know more then tune in on Friday.

Someone else said it, but AEW has been very good about getting fans excited about "what next" and giving them a reason to keep tuning in. So keep doing these promoted appearances by Punk, Danielson, and whoever else to keep bringing fans back week after week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

If I'm booking ? I'd have Darby close Dynamite this week and Punk interrupts him. Cash in on the hype. The pop in Chicago will be nuclear even if it isn't a surprise. 

You can have Paul Rodriguez drop by dressed as Pepsiman, and say “My friend says, “See you in Chicago, motherfucker(bleeped out)”*fade to black*.

But you’re right, how else will they sell out the United Center?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You can have Paul Rodriguez drop by dressed as Pepsiman, and say “My friend says, “See you in Chicago, motherfucker(bleeped out)”*fade to black*.

But you’re right, how else will they sell out the United Center?

Um... Yeah, dude. Sure... ???

You know why I don’t put much stock into telling your viewers that so-and-so is coming(though they pretty much have) because of that one episode of RAW where the Rock came back out of nowhere with zero tease, or advertisement in his hometown. People thought it was crazy that they did it that way. Following day it turned out they popped a big rating. Someway somehow people find out quick that something is happening, and they need to watch. It’s ridiculous, but it works. 

At least the tease that they’ve done worked to sell that big ass arena.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Sure, and that's all fine, but they're already leaning heavy into Punk being signed, so that's not quite "out of nowhere." Meanwhile, they're not dropping any hints about Danielson, so realistically you could have Punk show up earlier and STILL have a big surprise debut, ya know? Plus, why wait til the second Rampage to have a huge ratings spike when you could do that sooner and ride that shit til the eventual in-ring match? Plus we've seen that Fridays at 10 can be rough for ratings. More hype means more people will tune in to the otherwise crappy timeslot. 

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know why I don’t put much stock into telling your viewers that so-and-so is coming(though they pretty much have) because of that one episode of RAW where the Rock came back out of nowhere with zero tease, or advertisement in his hometown. People thought it was crazy that they did it that way. Following day it turned out they popped a big rating. Someway somehow people find out quick that something is happening, and they need to watch. It’s ridiculous, but it works. 

At least the tease that they’ve done worked to sell that big ass arena.

I personally am of the belief of this too - but only because it entices the viewer to wanna see what happens next. If I'm told straight up that Punk is appearing in Chicago, of course I'll be happy, but as a fan, I wanna hear that surprise pop. That Stone Cold interfering in Makind/Rock match on RAW pop or that John Cena interrupting Roman Reigns after MitB pop. As a wrestling fan, I believe the "pop" is what immortalizes certain things forever and the way to absolutely positively maximize that is by surprising everyone with "Look in my eyesssssss, what do ya see" in front of 15,000 or whatever fans.

Dynamite this week is in Jacksonville for Homecoming. I wouldn't do it there, least of all Jacksonville has gotten all the special stuff for the past year and a half. Let the monumental moment happen in a bonafide arena with a large crowd. Let alone Chicago, it writes itself.

• Like 1

Yes, but that’s the PPV, Rampage is the first face to face confrontation.

Maybe TK can be confused for weeks on what Darby wants exactly before Rampage. “I don’t understand” *Dabry points at a Darby Vs. Punk sign* “What? What are you trying to say, Darby? Stinger help me out.”

• Haha 2

While the United Center is one of the largest arenas in the country, the stage cuts that down to the point where the sold out portion of seats is less than their show in DC and around the high mark for some of their other arenas.

I'm going to be honest, and maybe it's a WWE conditioned thing to me - but having a wrestler return and wrestle on TV instead of PPV of that caliber just seems like a missed opportunity doesn't it? Surely Punk having his first wrestling match at All Out would pop more of a buyrate than Punk vs. Omega just based on the mystique of having not seen Punk wrestle in so long right? I would almost take the "casual fans who would buy to see Punks first match" vs. "hardcore fans who would buy for Omega vs. Punk" because I feel the hardcore fans will buy regardless. The Brock Lesnar/Goldberg special attraction route.

You've already sold out the United Center, you don't need to blow your wad so quickly. Thankfully, that's one thing AEW HAS proven to be really good at - is saving a lot for later as well. The only way I see Punk wrestling Darby at that Rampage show is if Punk has a very very short (like 1-2 months) contract instead of a long term one. Basically, just wanting to do some stuff while AEW is in Chicago, but no interest of the old weekly TV schedule.

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yes, but that’s the PPV, Rampage is the first face to face confrontation.

Maybe TK can be confused for weeks on what Darby wants exactly before Rampage. “I don’t understand” *Dabry points at a Darby Vs. Punk sign* “What? What are you trying to say, Darby? Stinger help me out.”

JJ Dillon looked like such a dork when he kept offering undercard nWo members for Stings comeback...everyone was yelling HOGAN...

”Sting, I don’t know what you want!?”

It was glorious.

• Haha 4