DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXIV - 8/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

lol i remember actually thinking at one point that the way the Rumble and Mania went that they were gonna spend a year working towards a Ripley vs Belair "The Future Is Here/The Future Is Now" type dream match to cement their new wave/new generation of female talent at WM38 lol what drugs was I on, All Of The Above?

• Like 1

Pulling this entirely out of my ass, but is it possible they decided to pull the Becky audible in some form 8 days ago in response to Punk returning, Sasha didn’t like the booking of it in whatever way and ultimately ended up walking or is it confirmed that it is in some way medical?

In any case, it was a real slapdash fuck you to everyone involved — nobody came out looking better for it and dragged down an already just okay show. Seth/Edge was fun, as was the women’s triple threat. The main event was fine. It just doesn’t feel like there’s much of anything to get excited about these days. Everything feels like it’s been locked in a holding pattern for years.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

In the words of Cornette, flatter than a plate full of piss. Belair's win at WM was one of my favourite moments of 2021 and I don't even follow her or WWE that much. Oh well...

So, Becky and Charlotte are the champs again? The more things change, I guess. I won't even get into that mess of a match with Bianca. Any woman not a Horsewoman or Alexa has to realize that there's just pretty much only so far they're going to go. 

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

My thoughts on the Bianca/Becky thing:

They had no idea what was going to happen with Sasha until today. Becky was going to come back soon, so they had her as Plan B, but she is not ring ready yet. Bianca is really talented but don’t a lot of the women’s matches have a lot of pre-planning and rehearsals? 

Why have a crappy match when instead you can instead have Becky beat Bianca who was not prepared for The Man but now that she has her eyes set on her is out to murder her? 

PPV was fine. I liked the woman’s triple threat a lot — Nikki killed it with her opportunistic underdog hope spots and kept on getting the better of the two giants she was battling with. I am the biggest Charlotte fan in the world. If Ric Flair’s charismatic daughter who is an athletic marvel and has nothing but great matches isn’t getting pushed, you are doing wrestling wrong.

That main event was really fun. I loved that Cena saw he could not beat Reigns with roll-ups, and Reigns saw John’s resiliency, so it ended up with those two guys throwing bombs. But Reigns is just NEXT LEVEL and can kick out of a second rope AA while Cena dies from eating a spear. 

Everything else I saw was just there.

Why have a women’s division, then? If it’s just gonna be Charlotte getting pushed over the top of everyone? She doesn’t have the fan interest any of the other horsewomen do, and “good matches” are pointless if there’s no direction around them.

this show gave me a lobotomy

ok some more detailed ramblings

- I did not watch everything in full length, because fuck that, but from what I saw the opener was my favourite match, and even that was criminally short for the amount of time they have spent building to it. Had to get that Rick Boogs guitar session and Miz watergun stuff in I guess, because that's what people want to see? AJ is massively wasted here but I can't complain too much as he is in his veteran years and is helping develop a new talent in Omos. Omos has the presence and personality, and he seems to be getting incrementally better every match, but he is a real ground zero project. I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the chopping block next year before he even gets 'good'. For me, the real waste here though is Matt Riddle

- Sheamus is still a quality gatekeeper, but Priest is mediocre and didn't deliver in his big match. Next!

- There is an alternative universe where Usos vs Mysterios delivers a barn-burner, but we aren't living in it. Another match cut criminally short

- Becky returning to cut off Bianca's legs. Real stinky stuff. Reminded me how absurdly overrated Becky is because she has the fake Stone Cold gimmick. She is still massively over, but good grief that was dreadful. Her and Charlotte suffocating the women's division in this company is truly awful.

- Pleasantly surprised Goldberg didn't gas in 90 seconds like he usually does, but the screwy finish to set up a Saudi match is more trash

- Cena is still Cena, for better or worse. Goofball acting, but still 'gets it' and worked really hard to sell for Reigns and make him look great. Match was not good though, these two clearly don't have chemistry and just worked through the textbook WWE Epic playbook. Reigns is best when he is against guys who stylistically contrast with him.

- Cool to see Brock back, and as a babyface. Less cool that he is going to be paired against a guy who he's already faced 10 million times already. He looked massive, but the hair and dad jeans look was about as un-intimidating as Brock could possibly be

• Like 1

I think the Becky thing could actually be just as damaging to her as it will be for Bianca. Assuming they don’t suddenly drop Bianca from the title scene, she might get a bit of ‘how could they do her like that’ sympathy from the smart crowd and, in story, they can sell it as her being caught off guard/with a cheap shot or use it as fuel towards a heel turn. For Becky, it feels like the kind of thing that will have segments of the crowd turn on her (see the ‘fuck Becky’ posts earlier) or just lose interest. It’s kind of a microcosm of the issue with modern WWE - no matter how over someone is/how much of a star WWE makes them out to be, they’ll ultimately be undermined by completely unsatisfying storytelling.

2 minutes ago, killsteve said:

- Cena is still Cena, for better or worse. Goofball acting, but still 'gets it' and worked really hard to sell for Reigns and make him look great. Match was not good though, these two clearly don't have chemistry and just worked through the textbook WWE Epic playbook. Reigns is best when he is against guys who stylistically contrast with him.

Great way to put it. There is like this spectrum of pro wrestling talent, and on one end of that spectrum you have Lance Storm who has note-perfect physical execution of individual moves but fails at putting coherent, emotionally-connected stories together. Then on the other end of that spectrum you have John Cena, who is awkward and unathletic and just generally janky in the physical execution of his moves, but 100% "gets it" and knows how to tell stories and connect with people in the ring. 

Chris Daniels being another name on the left. CM Punk another name on the right. Some are excellent all around at both of course (Danielson, Guerrero).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

"We've been false advertising Sasha all week."
"That's bad."
"But we have a replacement!"
"That's good."
"The replacement is Carmella."
"That's bad."
"The replacement is actually Becky Lynch!"
"That's good."
"Becky Lynch squashes Bianca Belair in 15 seconds."
"Can I go watch AEW now?"

When Becky's music hit, I was like "well, THAT's a decent replacement and a BIG surprise", then before the match even gets started, it's over. Did I say something about giving the audience what it wants, the right way? Yeah, this is not it!

Hell, it's like Vince somehow did see the Punk debut and said: "That's not how you do a surprise, THIS is how you do a surprise!" I'm having The Good Place flasbacks here!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

it was a little harsh for Becky to infect Sasha Banks with the Covid (maybe, possibly, probably) in order to get into the match..

Becky will deny doing that, though! And you know Sasha will deny everything, anyway!

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Interesting to compare the last two nights. There’s a difference between “these legends are here because they want to work with our stars” and “step aside, kids, the legends are here and they are the stars” 

The main difference between AEW and WWE to me is simple:

WWE - "We know exactly what you want and eventually you will get it.  But you may have to wait for it.  Until then accept this"

AEW - "We know exactly what you want and we can actually give it to you so here it is.  Enjoy"  

Now is that a good way to run a long term business.  I guess we will see in the next 5 years

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, mystman said:

Wouldn't the WWE get in major trouble if Sasha has covid, possibly spread it to other performers, and didn't tell anyone? They do testing, right? So they'd know?

I mean given how much they fucked up handling COVID last year in 2020 would it really surprise you if they didn't tell anymore.  

The major difference is that in 2020 they could do whatever they want because they were in Florida in their own building.   Now they are out of Florida and have to deal with buildings run by other people