DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXIV - 8/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I hope this is the case with Becky. 

BexMania was doomed to be short-lived. Her defining trait was that she was rebellious and defiant and anti-authority and would not back down from anything in her way. Well, she won, and they moved away from having evil heel authority figures. There's no machine for Becky to rage against. So what do you do then?

Well, let her lean into her brashness and bravado and arrogance and act like a slimebag to try and keep the title. They did a hell of a job building Bianca up as a bad-ass in the feud since Sasha returned -- that table flip to give Sasha fists even though she knew she was outnumbered. Just take that same energy, but now with a bravado-filled Becky, and go from there. 

Becky is going to need some time to get back though. And it's not just with the athletic component, but it's also understanding her new role and how to wrestle in that persona while also being able to match with her dance partner Bianca. I think Bianca is really great. If you put her in the ring with a world-class talent, she's going to hold her end of the story. But the pacing and learning to read the crowd and change on the fly if need be -- that's really hard. Hopefully Becky can get the magic back quickly.

• Like 1

If the point was to intentionally turn Becky heel, I still do NOT amend my previous statement. It’s just a slightly different form of incompetence. Possibly a worse one. People have been waiting a year and a half to be able to cheer Becky again, and instead of giving the fans what they want, they’re, of course, going to try to fight them on it.

I’d say they were allergic to money, but they don’t make their money off happy fans anymore, so fuck ‘em, I guess.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

If the point was to intentionally turn Becky heel, I still do NOT amend my previous statement. It’s just a slightly different form of incompetence. Possibly a worse one. People have been waiting a year and a half to be able to cheer Becky again, and instead of giving the fans what they want, they’re, of course, going to try to fight them on it.

I’d say they were allergic to money, but they don’t make their money off happy fans anymore, so fuck ‘em, I guess.

There has been a few posts about the crying fan in AEW on a couple of threads. It seems as if Vince really wants to create a stadium full of crying fans, too! Just not fans crying tears of joy!

Becky as a heel makes sense if Sasha is going to be gone awhile.  I'm guessing bringing in Becky to turn heel and feud with Bianca means Sasha is going to be gone for much more than a couple weeks.  Which most likely means it's not Covid.

With Sasha and Bayley both out, you don't a top heel star on SDL and not too many people you can successfully elevate to that level.  Don't think anyone buys Carmella as being on Bayley/Sasha/Becky's level, and her last repacking seemed to be scaled back only a couple weeks in.

Of course, the draft is around the corner so they could bring someone over from RAW, but RAW isn't deep in talent either.  After Charlotte and maybe Rhea, you have....?

I do wonder why Asuka is suddenly just chilli' in catering.  Wrestling Observer ran an item over the weekend saying she's not hurt, they just aren't using her on the road or tv.  She was backstage at Raw last week, but left early since they weren't going to use her on the show.  

The difference was, at Summerslam 2018, Charlotte was seen as the Boot of WWE Creative, squashing someone who the fans felt deserved better. Becky lashing out as a heel just felt like a justified catharsis to the audience, who were tired of being fed the Boot over and over again. It was a perfect moment of wrestling synchronicity—the wrestler and the audience feeling the same way.

Now Becky is the Boot, squashing someone who the fans feel deserves better. It hits different. Nobody wanted to boo Becky. Nobody wanted to see Bianca embarrassed. It’s not doing anything for anybody.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

On 8/22/2021 at 7:20 AM, The Natural said:

E9XI_TWWQAAf1fJ?format=jpg&name=small

E9XJ9XmXIAMIVOF?format=jpg&name=small

Brood Edge was fun. Still a classic theme and entrance all these years later.

This may sound like irony or sarcasm, but I love that Edge can just change his gear and theme a bit and go back to his early days more than 20 decades ago, even if for a moment! I legitimately wish I could do that and be back in the late 90's for a flash or two!

Edited by Shartnado
Gear, not "grear", also 2 decades ago, but I won't change that one
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

This may sound like irony or sarcasm, but I love that Edge can just change his gear and theme a bit and go back to his early days more than 20 decades ago, even if for a moment! I legitimately wish I could do that and be back in the late 90's for a flash or two!

I know this is a typo, but time traveling Edge going back in time 200 years is a hell of a story pitch. I'm in lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know this is a typo, but time traveling Edge going back in time 200 years is a hell of a story pitch. I'm in lol.

Back when he was a Vampire for reals, right? I'll keep that in, since the late 90's seems like two centuries ago, anyway, at this point!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Becky as a heel makes no sense, no matter how you try to justify it. She's arguably the most beloved wrestler in the company who's just been gone for over a year to have a baby. How hard is it to just bring her back and let the fans cheer her for a couple of months before thinking about your next bone-headed move?

What is stopping the fans from cheering her? She may be a heel, but when has that ever stopped fans from rooting for the villain? If anything, people are going to be pissed she’s a “heel” and cheer for her just like they did before she left. 

Just now, Greggulator said:

What is stopping the fans from cheering her? She may be a heel, but when has that ever stopped fans from rooting for the villain? If anything, people are going to be pissed she’s a “heel” and cheer for her just like they did before she left. 

The issue isn't Becky, except for that you're creating needless friction and trying to compete for the CM Punk return on some level. The issue is Bianca.