DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXIV - 8/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also, the fireman's carry running Goldberg into the post thing was illogical but they picked the perfect camera angle to make it look like maybe Goldberg hit the post and Bobby didn't run his head into the post.

And see, my friends and I couldn’t stop laughing at that spot because we thought the camera angle made it look like Lashley picked Goldberg up onto his shoulders and ran face-first into the post like a maniac, like he was trying to find a way to get out of having to continue the match and that was his master plan to end it. 

Again Becky winning the title isn't really the bad part.   It is beating Bianca on ONE move in under 15 seconds that makes it looks bad.   It makes you think that Sasha was going to win the title tonight.   It will be interesting because Becky has been at Austin levels of can't do no wrong.  Well she definitely did wrong to that crowd tonight as all the greatness of her coming in turned to complete confusion and "what the fuck" real quick

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RefMattyD570 said:

And see, my friends and I couldn’t stop laughing at that spot because we thought the camera angle made it look like Lashley picked Goldberg up onto his shoulders and ran face-first into the post like a maniac, like he was trying to find a way to get out of having to continue the match and that was his master plan to end it. 

like.. if you have a guy on your shoulders and you want to run him into a post.. you kinda have to back up into the post instead of doing it over the shoulder?

At least they didn't burn out the Spear (or the 'run the shoulder into the post' spot) on a show with Edge, Goldberg, and Reigns all in big matches

I kinda like this version of the company as it is fun to talk shit about their horrible booking decisions, and at the same time they are far from a financially sinking ship. While at the same time AEW and the indies allow me to be a fan boy of great wrestling. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, hammerva said:

More like fuck that COVID denier Sasha Banks

She better hope it isn't because of COVID because if she thought Ryan Satin was mean to her 

I think a reason will emerge at some point. Coronavirus was my first thought.

Edited by The Natural

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

it was a little harsh for Becky to infect Sasha Banks with the Covid (maybe, possibly, probably) in order to get into the match..

If she gives anyone Covid, why couldnt it be her husband? 

• Haha 2

I know a guy who got back into wrestling during the pandemic, a really hard-working musician / internet personality putting out bombastically queer and black content. He was super hyped for Bianca/Sasha at Mania and actually flew out to Vegas for this show. Pumped all week to attend, wouldn't stop posting about it. Now he's sworn the entire company off. I can't even imagine.

How do pat yourself on the back for putting over a new, black Champion at Wrestlemania just to have them squashed in under 30 seconds TWICE in THREE YEARS? I don't know where the audacity ends and the senility begins.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Also, with Bray Wyatt not coming back and Doudrop having officially turned on Eva Marie (from the looks of it), the Evil Alexa thing has run its course.

She should show up in a couple of weeks as just normal Alexa and play it off like that season of Dallas where Bobby Ewing was in a coma.

• Like 5

I'm torn on the Becky situation.  It sucked big-time yet unless this was Becky's idea I can't say she's to blame for this.  I see it as they did what was told by you-know-who who was trying to think of a way to save time.  It sucked and not only did it horrendously damage Bianca but also put Becky in a very awkward light.  If they couldn't do the advertised match just say it before the show and save Becky's return for Friday.  But nope, gotta make those moments, pal.  It sucks for all involved and I feel bad for them.

• Like 1

One good thing from the show: Edge's jacket didn't burst into flames during that entrance

And if pro wrestling shows have taught me anything about how people change.. clearly the Alexa retcon will involve some sort of injury angle where she just forgets what she did for the 10 months and thinks that she's still tagging with Nikki Cross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on the Bianca/Becky thing:

They had no idea what was going to happen with Sasha until today. Becky was going to come back soon, so they had her as Plan B, but she is not ring ready yet. Bianca is really talented but don’t a lot of the women’s matches have a lot of pre-planning and rehearsals? 

Why have a crappy match when instead you can instead have Becky beat Bianca who was not prepared for The Man but now that she has her eyes set on her is out to murder her? 

PPV was fine. I liked the woman’s triple threat a lot — Nikki killed it with her opportunistic underdog hope spots and kept on getting the better of the two giants she was battling with. I am the biggest Charlotte fan in the world. If Ric Flair’s charismatic daughter who is an athletic marvel and has nothing but great matches isn’t getting pushed, you are doing wrestling wrong.

That main event was really fun. I loved that Cena saw he could not beat Reigns with roll-ups, and Reigns saw John’s resiliency, so it ended up with those two guys throwing bombs. But Reigns is just NEXT LEVEL and can kick out of a second rope AA while Cena dies from eating a spear. 

Everything else I saw was just there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got a "are you still watching this?" message from my TV an hour before the show ended.

I wasn't paying attention if this came up a few months ago but.. why was this on a Saturday night instead of a Sunday? Although if Smackdown is gonna be the A Show, having live Smackdown a night before the events would make sense.

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I got a "are you still watching this?" message from my TV an hour before the show ended.

I wasn't paying attention if this came up a few months ago but.. why was this on a Saturday night instead of a Sunday? Although if Smackdown is gonna be the A Show, having live Smackdown a night before the events would make sense.

On Sunday nights in Las Vegas, most people are leaving town. It made more financial sense to do the show on Saturday, when the night life is most active.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

On Sunday nights in Las Vegas, most people are leaving town. It made more financial sense to do the show on Saturday, when the night life is most active.

I guess that in more normal times, they'd try to defy that logic by hoping the people traveling from far away for a Sunday night Summerslam would stick around for Raw the next night. But they locked in Summerslam before announcing a resumption of touring, IIRC.

Next July the scheduling should be interesting. July 2nd is a Saturday, July 3rd Sunday, and July 4th Monday. So I'd guess the PPV is July 2nd (but maybe tourists would stick around on Sunday night with it being July 3rd) and the UFC would be July 9th in Vegas (UFC hasn't run the weekend of the 4th for awhile)

Hope we find out what happened with Sasha. Because DAMN.

There was a pic floating around of Sasha, Bayley and the former Kalisto at a restaurant on Friday. Bayley had on a heavy knee brace, so it's accurate. Sasha was in town and presumably well enough to be in public. 

Even if you want to cut WWE slack in maybe they were hoping Sasha would get medical clearance (if that's the case): why on Earth would they do that to Bianca? They spent the entire year building her. Rumble win, WM moment, endorsements, appearing on national talk shows, ESPY awards. And the crowds love her. All for her to get beat in 20 seconds by a half-assed Becky Lynch punch?

Bianca looked like a goof, Carmella was sent out there to die with the crowd, and Becky's win was met with a collective "WHAT WAS THAT?" Bad scene for everyone involved.

Something has to be up. I guess we'll find out soon.

I'll talk about rest of the show later, but wanted to get that off my chest.

• Like 8