DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXIV - 8/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The booking was mostly just kind of there or bad as expected. They did Bianca dirty with the quick loss. It was neat seeing the Brood entrance from Edge though I didn't care much for the match with Rollins. Charlotte winning again was dumb but expected. Lashley/Goldberg saw the right guy win and I was pleased the crowd was happy seeing Lashley beating Goldberg and choke out his son. This show needed one less hour. It was too long with what they had.

This was a one match show with Roman/Cena. Took a bit to get going, but it delivered by the end. Not happy to see Brock back. Was really hoping we would get Roman vs. Finn next.

"We've been false advertising Sasha all week."
"That's bad."
"But we have a replacement!"
"That's good."
"The replacement is Carmella."
"That's bad."
"The replacement is actually Becky Lynch!"
"That's good."
"Becky Lynch squashes Bianca Belair in 15 seconds."
"Can I go watch AEW now?"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 8

Agreed, fuck becky lynch. From "hey cool she's back" to "oh yeah, thats why I was sick of her 2 years ago" in an instant. Felt like a huge burial shit on of Bianca. "You served your purpose, now the real star's back." A competitive little match would've been fine, but 25 seconds. Jesus. Completely ripped any momentum out of the show right there.

First half of the show was solid. RKBro's match was short for being the hottest program on Raw. Priest/Sheamus was as good as expected. Priest one of the better callups and proves they should keep guys over 30. Shit fell apart with the bianca squash. Drew/Jinder was a nothing match. I love Charlotte but that whole thing felt pointless, amazing twisting dive from the top aside. Couldn't really get in to edge/seth much til the end. Lashley/Goldberg was weird but I just liked that it wasn't a 2 minute shit squash like his last two, and it did feel like the feud was going to continue. 

Main event was good. Finish felt weak. Realized Brock was coming about halfway through when Cole said he'd only seen Cena dominated like this once before... but didn't say by who. Brock feels like the only guy left for Roman. Dig that he kept the new look. That should be an interesting feud at least and can carry the next two months through Extreme Rules and/or SaudiMania 6. 

• Like 1

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Remember those WWE PPVs that used to run 5 hours and some of what you saw was decent but you couldn't remember because there was so much shit surrounding it and you just felt exhausted by the end ?  

Yep, that is exactly how this felt. Could have easily cut 3-5 matches and/or segments and this would have felt better even with the shittier stuff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i don't know what is going on with Sasha.. she's not cleared and then cleared and then uncleared...   but whatever the case...  there had to be a better option than continue to promote the match ALL the way up until Bianca is in the ring,  then tell everyone it's not happening,  then bring out Carmella as a troll,  then bring back Becky who was clearly not in ring shape and then job out your superstar champion in under 20 seconds....  

That's what they chose to do..      how dumb are these people.  

• Like 6

Yet to see Summerslam or Rampage but goddammit between Becky returning, Edge with the Brood entrance and the Bad Guy Xavier Woods I'm fucking stoked for tomorrow's wwe catchup.

Okay hadn't seen any Brock footage yet but Lesnar returning with this new look is even MORE excitement for tomorrow 

Edited by Hayabusa
BROCK!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

so I guess that didn't end early enough to get people over to the Pacquiao fight?

Oh yeah. He moving better than Goldberg these days? 

Edit: god damn didn’t realize how much younger Manny was, Bill stop 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I never thought I'd say this but Seth/Edge was match of the night. And we got to see the old Brood entrance so at least something cool happened.

Priest/Sheamus was also solid.

I'm surprised neither tag match featured a heel turn

There have been way too many rumors circulating on the status of Sasha and Bianca going into the show for me to make any judgement on the booking, but even if this was some last minute audible due to medical clearance, but jobbing Bianca out like that was nonsense. If Becky and Bianca hadn't had time to prepare for a match they could have just as easily had the Carmella/Bianca match with Becky returning after to set up the challenge. Would have gotten just as big a pop and not been shit booking.

This was probably the worst I've seen Goldberg look out of all his comeback matches. The crowd didn't want to him there and were cheering when his son got flattened. Big E cashing in could have saved this turd of a segment but I guess they want to continue that program.

For all the hype, Cena/Roman was just ok but it could be the show had been dragging so long and featured so much other crap I didn't care. Normally Brock coming back would bother me but honestly he could freshen up the world title program.

• Like 1

Goldberg/Lashley was a lot more fun once the threat of Goldberg dropping Lashley on his head subsided.

Also, the fireman's carry running Goldberg into the post thing was illogical but they picked the perfect camera angle to make it look like maybe Goldberg hit the post and Bobby didn't run his head into the post.

Excited for Summerslam 2027 when Bill and Dominik Goldberg tag together.

I tweeted earlier that the difference in AEW and WWE is that AEW made me care about Jake Hager & WWE made me stop caring about AJ Styles. I have never seen any entertainment property so hell bent on punishing their audience for giving a shit about characters as WWE is. Why would I invest any time or energy into any up and coming female superstar while Charlotte is on the roster? Why should I have any faith that there is some long term story being told with Bianca? WWE got what they wanted; their "black girl magic" Mania main event. I feel bad for Nikki, too. You could start a pretty decent Indy Fed built around just the folks who's careers have been cut off at the knees so Roman Reigns and Charlotte could collect brass rings. It's just sad. WWE was a big part of my life for a long time. Now I have trouble caring about any of these characters, knowing that the man pulling the strings is an out of touch Boomer that loves dick jokes.

• Like 10

Outside of AJ Styles, who on this show would a serious pro-wrestling fan even give a shit about? It’s astonishing just how horrible this company is and just how far from the meat and potatoes they are. But hey, it’s a licence to print money brand, they can do whatever the hell they want. God bless sports entertainment. 

• Like 2

trying to remember which superstar was deemed too short to be able to safely (or credibly) do the throw counter against Ric Flair.

I was kinda concerned about the concept of using water guns in the ring before a Goldberg match, but I don't think they soaked that exact corner.