DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXIV - 8/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

First match is official.  Let's get this started. 

Note the Saturday date, and the early start time. 

THE CARD:

FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - The Almighty Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Goldberg

FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. John Cena

TRIPLE THREAT FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Nikki A.S.H. (c) vs. Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Bianca Bel Air (c) vs. Sasha Banks

FOR THE RAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - AJ Styles/Omos (c) vs. Randy Orton/Riddle

FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Usos (c) vs. The Mysterios

FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Sheamus (c) vs. Damien Priest

Edge vs. Seth Rollins 

Jinder Mahal vs. Drew McIntyre

Eva Marie vs. Alexa Bliss

Reading the news, it seems more like "contingency plans are being worked out" but, still notable:

Mind you, this is coming the same day AEW ran current Covid epicenter Jacksonville in front of a maskless crowd.  So, ymmv...

Yeah I would need a lot better source to worry about that (I dont a single other person talking about this. Granted basically the only thing anyone is talking about is all the wrestling deaths this week)

Here is what Dave wrote in the WON that just came out and it basically is a "Only in the worst case scenario is it being moved" (plus bonus note that Takeover almost assuredly won't be in Vegas)

There definitely was talk of moving Takeover to Las Vegas and running at a major arena with the idea so many fans would be in Las Vegas on Saturday for SummerSlam that they could draw a good crowd for the Sunday Takeover. But thus far it is still a no and with so little time left, those within NXT are under the impression it’s the Performance Center Orlando for the loaded show. The problem is the key officials have to go to Las Vegas the week before Takeover for the tryout camp when they should be finalizing the show, and then fly back

On the flip side, both WWE and AEW are making contingency plans based on worst-case scenarios with shutdowns with the latest wave of Delta variant COVID cases. They’d be negligent it they didn’t consider the possibilities, but in a worst case scenario all the major shows upcoming from both companies could be in jeopardy. For SummerSlam, because it’s in Las Vegas, there is a mask mandate indoors and Allegiant Stadium is indoors. AEW’s backup plans would likely be to return to Jacksonville outdoors in a worst case scenario. WWE can probably go back to Florida or take up residency with a Thunderdome setup again

Alexa define "Recency Bias":

Because, while Beck's "heel turn" in '18 was big (and obviously extremely important), you're not topping 80,000 Brits unified in Bulldog's upset win. 

• Like 1

Interesting that they still list Cena as a sixteen-time champion and five-time Wrestlemania main eventer. I thought the Firefly Funhouse Match retconned pretty much his entire WWE career away. Did firing Bray restore the timeline?

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Interesting that they still list Cena as a sixteen-time champion and five-time Wrestlemania main eventer. I thought the Firefly Funhouse Match retconned pretty much his entire WWE career away. Did firing Bray restore the timeline?

i am gonna assume since Fiend "died" at WM..   all his captured souls returned to previous form. 

My top ten SummerSlam matches ever:

10. AJ Styles vs. John Cena. SummerSlam 2016.

9. The Undertaker vs. Bret Hart. SummerSlam 1997.

8. The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar. SummerSlam 2015.

7. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H. SummerSlam 2002.

6. Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk. SummerSlam 2013.

5. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. SummerSlam 2014.

4. Edge and Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz. SummerSlam 2000.

3. Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog. SummerSlam 1992.

2. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. SummerSlam 1994. *****.

1. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan. SummerSlam 2013. *****.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

What do you have against Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect?

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Old age forgetting it! Will say I've always preferred the King of the Ring 1993 match.

I was surprised to find I prefer this too when watching '93 WWF not too long ago.  What stood out was Perfect was a face then yet while still having mutual respect he let his heel side shine through.  It led to an extra bit of intensity and with how great it was I wish it was the KOTR final.

As for Summerslam I might see how it looks with the new stadium but I'll skip through a lot of matches the next day.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

I was surprised to find I prefer this too when watching '93 WWF not too long ago.  What stood out was Perfect was a face then yet while still having mutual respect he let his heel side shine through.  It led to an extra bit of intensity and with how great it was I with it was the KOTR final.

As for Summerslam I might see how it looks with the new stadium but I'll skip through a lot of matches the next day.

Agreed on all counts, @NikoBaltimore. Cheers!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 8:05 AM, The Natural said:

I could see this being a next year project before Summerslam.

Bret/Perfect was one of my gateways into pro wrestling in 1995, so that match holds a special place for me.

Some other ones that need consideration off the top of my head: Razor/Shawn in 95, Rock/HHH in 98, Austin/Angle in 01, 

• Like 1

To clarify - Allegiant Stadium requested WWE do it on Saturday

There is also the belief that part of the reason is that no one goes to events Sunday nights in Vegas (since everyone is getting the fuck out of dodge) so that is partly why the WWE was willing to do it

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To clarify - Allegiant Stadium requested WWE do it on Saturday

There is also the belief that part of the reason is that no one goes to events Sunday nights in Vegas (since everyone is getting the fuck out of dodge) so that is partly why the WWE was willing to do it

Well I am sure the Raiders will be glad to hear that