DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam 2021: MetLife Dome.

The Natural

I would love to know the thought process behind booking all these huge dome/stadium shows when they aren’t even legally allowed to fill them to a fraction of their capacity. Unless they’ve gone completely insane, there has to be some kind of financial rationale to it, but it’s unclear what that could be. Is the Japanese government subsidizing “lost revenue” for all the tickets they aren’t allowed to sell due to COVID restrictions? Maybe their insurance? It kinda feels like it has to a scam...err, exploiting a legal loophole...of some kind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

The only thing I can speculate is that large venues are willing to give steep discounts to anyone willing to run them right now, and/or New Japan thinks they’ll have some favors in hand when things return to normal.

They are doing super super deep discounts. Especially a place like Seibu Dome which isn't near anything really. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing things were looking like they would have been able to do higher capacity before things got bad again. I felt like lack of a crowd, or even moreso having the quiet crowd took a little out of most of this card, especially Okada and Cobb (Which was great!)

I was surprised Sho went BC/EVIL's group, I thought he would have been a better fit with Empire since they're still a new group and can use the numbers (and a junior) but if it's EVIL building his own group I'm okay with it, and it's been (checks watch) 25 minutes since we've had a Bullet Club infighting story.

Man Tanahashi is right there with Shingo as New Japan's MVP for the past two years. Really hoping he has a good a G1

Short thoughts considering I'm many scotches in:

Spoiler

So happy Robbie retained! Best match of the night,  maybe of both nights to me. Robbie as champ keeps the division more interesting and has many fresher matches than another Hiromu come back run. I still think eventually Hiromu will win it back soon and break the Heat/Minoru Tanaka record, but hopefully not for a while as he is so much better chasing.

Glad Dangerous Tekkers retained, enjoyed the match. Main event was fine until the usual BS that I don't get why they keep doing when crowds have to be silent. Other two matches were fun, but not outstanding. 

Edited by Horangi
Spelling errors, I may be drunk but not THAT drunk.
  • Like 1

When Eagles won many people thought that the plan here is to "save" Hiromu/Desperado title match for the dome. I'm not sure if this show changes plans. Desperado now can win a rematch and Hiromu can win BotSJ since I think they are unlikely to do another Jr. title match before the dome.

Finished night one today and will finish up night 2 tomorrow. Dug the Stardom matches and the Sho/Yoh match. Thought the Yano/Owens match went waaaay too long and dug the main event.

Just finished the tag title match, if that was a shoot then Marty has some Herb Dean level lack of caution with Yoshi Hashi passing out and him not calling the match.

Edited by Ramo2653