DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/28/2021 - Fight for the Fallen

So many other people said it but the Hangman and Dark Order entrance through from the video package to them in the ring set a perfect tone between cheesy and hype. It might be one of my favourites they’ve done.

It sounds uncharitable, but it’s impressive how totally committed Jericho is when it comes to glomming onto the next new buzz-worthy thing, from Omega/NJPW, to Talk’n Shop with the Good Brothers on his podcast ,to BTE, to AEW at large, to LAX fresh off their indie/Impact buzz, to Orange Cassidy, and now to Nick Gage. I was with Craig on this one, not usually a bloodthirsty fan and maybe it was the spectacle of Jericho doing it but I ate all of it up and enjoyed the ride to the very end.

AEW has got better at layering in the stuff for the nerdy/hardcore fans with a general fun, spectacle and flow of a show. So rather than an exclusive club, it’s like GoT where you can either simply marvel at the action/violence/ sex/dragons and get caught up in the story in the moment, or recognise the call-backs to a story thread 18 months back, or a deliberate choice of words calling back to 10 years ago somewhere else entirely (‘Chris, as you lay there in the ring in as much pain as possible…’).

Its weird, the matches mostly fell short of my expectations but it does such a good job as a weekly show with enough different things going on (Haku sighting - but wasn’t he Meng when he was on Turner TV though?) and questions being asked and answered as Matt said, that you’re begging for next week to come around  no matter what.

Random observation - was Kenny Omega reeling off all the wrestlers whose spinning heel kick was inferior to Nick Jackson’s? You could hear him saying ‘Savio Vega…Owen Hart…Kaz Hayashi’.

Rosa’s gear was a step down in quality from usual this week, and no idea why Julia Hart is on Dynamite yet, but always happy to see Thunder Rosa on the main show.

Cody’s eight words into a ‘state of the nation’ promo (already with that inflection of pomp and self-importance) before getting cut off was too hilarious. And another order of no-name luchadors getting their head kicked off by Malakai Black please!

• Like 5

I wonder if Meng was WCW's IP so its owned by WWE now? I would have thought the same about King Haku but maybe he own's it now similarly to Billy Gunn owning his name?

And Black shutting Cody up makes him the good guy in all this to me

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I wonder who Britt and Rebel's new back up is going to be? ?

I know the unfortunate news about ryo mizunami but she would be perfect. Maybe they can do something with legit leyla? Britt needs a shooter. 

3 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I know the unfortunate news about ryo mizunami but she would be perfect. Maybe they can do something with legit leyla? Britt needs a shooter. 

I think having someone in a bodyguard role “protecting” someone bigger than them would look visually awkward on tv.

I also selfishly want to be surprised with someone new.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'd want that Freya woman they used on Dark once.  She'd be a good bodyguard type.

FREYA THE SLAYAH!  Of course, KiLynn King is 6'1".

EDIT: Oh man, King would be a Wardlow situation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You know some snitch-ass Twitter jackoff @'d Dominos, sending them the offending video.

This looks to have backfired on Dominos as they are getting destroyed all over social media. Trolling Culture > Outrage Culture.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My guesses for Britt's backup are either Leyla Hirsch or Ruby Riott

They could find an excuse to finally hire Little Miss Amazon KiLynn King. Whoever it is they should be taller, larger or just more physically intimidating than Dr. Britt.

I know it wouldn’t make sense but Britt’s backup better not be Nyla Rose.  WWE, WCW and TNA would try and tell us just how much this nonsensical move makes perfect sense for someone so smart.  Then they talk up her education or something.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

You know some snitch-ass Twitter jackoff @'d Dominos, sending them the offending video.

I don't know how much I'd really blame Twitter hall monitors for this. Running this kind of content at this level will always pose a risk for backlash. Either they're prepared and willing to withstand it, or they don't run it. Hope they stand their ground, the network doesn't pitch a fit, and they run another in a few months. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

FREYA THE SLAYAH!  Of course, KiLynn King is 6'1".

EDIT: Oh man, King would be a Wardlow situation.

I was unfamiliar with Freya but her Twitter seems to imply she broke her collarbone and is recovering from surgery so not her.

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Lol 

Count the number of people Nick Gage has actually killed. Estimate the number that Domino's has. They aren't particualrly close.

21 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I dont know why domino's isn't hiring this experienced pitch man...

I might have to drive 30 minutes to the nearest Cluck U (RIP Cluck U Towson, definitely not insurance fraud arson), but fuck it I could go for some. Let no man say Nick Gage lacks taste, I'll forgive the Natty Ice preference.

• Like 4