DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/28/2021 - Fight for the Fallen

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Was Dash Wilder. Is Cash Wheeler. 

The hair makes him more Dashing than his bald teammate  You have to have Cash to get haircuts.  That's seriously how I remember, because I'm a fucking lunatic.

When I was younger, I could tell the Fantastics apart because Bobby Fulton had blonde hair like Bobby Eaton.  Tommy Rogers had darker hair.  Like Mr. Rogers.

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

I’m with the side that says hangman losing is their pivot and we’re getting punk vs omega at All Out.

Lance Storm was theorizing last week that they'd put off the Hangman/Omega switch for a bit longer in order to get a money title match from Omega/Punk, Omega/Danielson, or both.  His idea was for Hangman to be eliminated early via heel chicanery, then have his friends fight valiantly for him, only to lose.  I like that booking, too, but it would have killed the crowd worse if not handled perfectly.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 3

I really hope we get a Juice Bar segment next week with Orange Cassidy as the guest.

Flair was what, 55 when he was having those nu-ECW garbage matches with Big Show? Jericho seems bound and determined to follow in his footsteps.

When Hangman was the last one remaining and Omega kept going for the belt shots, I figured Page would end up winning by DQ. Face team gets the victory but Omega doesn't eat an actual fall.

• Like 2

So how much heat do you think they would've gotten if the "North Carolina Athletic Commission" stopped the match after Jericho's arm got cut at the start? I'm picturing the crowd going berserk when they waved off the match in light of Jericho's career-threatening injury. Have Roberts make the announcement that the match is stopped, tease it out for a few minutes, then obviously do a restart and have the entire thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When the elimination match got down to 3x2, I thought for sure Hangman and Silver would go nuts and eliminate the Bucks, Omega would eliminate Silver, Hangman ends up last one standing.  Maybe have Omega get eliminated by DQ or something and let Hangman pin one of the Bucks to win the match.  Crowd was primed for Dark Order & Page to go over.  I assume the story will continue somehow, but it took me out of the rest of the show some.  Weird booking.

I hope they aren't going to stall Darby, Jungle Boy, and Page some more.  I understand that Punk and Bryan coming in is going to be a huge deal, but they don't need everything to revolve around them to be huge draws.  Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing homegrown talent into main eventers than see the same guys I've been watching for 10+ years dominate.  I like the Bucks more than most, and their current "crank it up to 11" act is fine, but I really want something new.

Show was alright.  Opener was fun, Gage-Jericho wasn't my thing, but was a spectacle.  I tapped out after a couple min of Gage-Cardona, so deathmatches just aren't my thing.  Was surpised how far they leaned into it on a major nationwide broadcast.

Glad they're still trying to book Baker as a heel.  She's kinda average as a babyface, but a great heel.  Tony kinda surreptitiously doing the hand gesture along with Britt and Rebel made me me laugh. 

Edit: Has anyone seen Juventud in the past decade.  Don't think I've seen him wrestle since shortly after the Mexicools and the original Mexican Powers stable in AAA.  Jericho-Juvy may be a bigger spectacle than Jericho-Gage.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

LOLLLLL @ Cody committing to the televangelist look for the feud with Dutch Satan.

Holy fuck Grayson cracked his head on the floor on that dive.

First, Dutch Satan sounds like something Chucky would call him on Twitter so that's good. Second, I thought Grayson cracked his ass on the ground harder than anything else. He was walking like someone who had just fucked up their tailbone.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Of all the tag teams to do the Steiner Brothers size switch, I wouldn't have guessed Santana & Ortiz. And yet Ortiz was suddenly super lean and ripped, whilst Santana has indeed bulked up quite a bit. 

Dude, holy shit, Ortiz looked ridiculously good. I was surprised at how much lean muscle he had.

• Like 1

Just now, Rev Ray said:

Was don coming from his job as a soccer ref at a youth league game.  He should have gone with 70s aba shorts

Oof. There's way too big of a chance he would be hanging brain out of those ABA shorts.

• Haha 2

Been going over in my head who would be the right guy to dethrone Miro.  I've heard Jungle Boy tossed around a lot, but I'm thinking how awesome it would be for the "Spanish God" to beat "Gods favorite champion".  Sammy is red hot too, if they keep his momentum up, the pop would be huge for that win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Been going over in my head who would be the right guy to dethrone Miro.  I've heard Jungle Boy tossed around a lot, but I'm thinking how awesome it would be for the "Spanish God" to beat "Gods favorite champion".  Sammy is red hot too, if they keep his momentum up, the pop would be huge for that win.

John Silver is my first choice. Then Sammy Guevara or Jungle Boy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Of all the tag teams to do the Steiner Brothers size switch, I wouldn't have guessed Santana & Ortiz. And yet Ortiz was suddenly super lean and ripped, whilst Santana has indeed bulked up quite a bit. 

That would be a cool side topic. Are there other teams that shifted in size and shape to the opposite of what they were before? Dynamite was at one point pretty much the bigger, more jacked guy in Bulldogs (not by much, tho), but that didn't last very long at all.

I wasn't happy with the curtain jerker, but they were at least smart enough to protect everyone's respective finishers.  I expect some sort of swerve to get Hangman back into title contention.

Holy fuck.  Thunder Rosa beating the living shit out of little Julia Hart was hard to watch at some points during that match.  Julia is not much older than my daughter.  It was like watching your kid get her ass kicked.

Jericho / Gage almost felt like Tony Khan's personal apology for the shitty Omega / Moxley death match and for Jericho's super padded cage dive, although I had no issues with the latter.  I was more impressed with Jericho agreeing to do a match like that at this stage in his career.  He's not getting any younger and the matches aren't getting any safer.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Here's what I'm going with on the Hangman situation:

- I don't think Hangman faces Kenny for the title at All Out. This has been a promotion where stipulations matter. Why have Page lose the title shot just to get it back a couple weeks later? I don't know what Omega or Page do at All Out, but I'm leaning towards Kenny not main eventing.

- The whole idea from before was Dark Order telling Hangman that he shouldn't be afraid of failure, and they'll support him even if he fails. If that's the story, then he SHOULD fail at some point along the way.  Dark Order will stick with him, and I think they're hoping that'll be a cue to fans that they should stick with Page too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I said this on the AEW subreddit earlier in the week, but if they don't promote the fuck out of Punk's return - and just debut him (or Danielson) as a surprise - they're fucking crazy. That could pop a huge rating, and probably move a lot of tickets if its for, say, that United Center show, or something else like that. I don't mind the surprise debuts, I actually really like them, but these are two massive names, and they need to confirm it ahead of time and promote it, IMO.

I'm just baffled by what they're doing here. I get booking the biggest arena in Chicago for Punk's debut, that makes sense. But they are really trying to fill that building with a 'wink wink' you know who will probably be here? Especially baffling seeing that they have a Dynamite, Rampage, and All Out back to back to back two weeks later already in Chicago, mostly sold out. Like how much money do people in Chicago have to spend on wrestling lol. They just assume 25,000 people can come up with more disposable income even after potentially buying 3 event tickets already for two weeks later. Without even giving them the specific reason to break the bank. I love AEW but this is a bit of an arrogant approach in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Log said:

With Punk, it seems like they’re doing everything but flat-out announcing he’ll be there in Chicago. They make the Chicago announcement, and then make a point of showing close shots of fans chanting “CM Punk!”  Then Darby drops the “best in the world” line. It’s possible to promote something and build buzz for it without coming out and saying it.  

100% agree with you in theory. But again referencing the above, you're asking one city to plop down money for their 4th show in a two week span without telling them why. So in this instance I don't think it's a very smart move. Sure everyone watching AEW or educated on wrestling news knows he's gonna be there. But is that enough to fill 25,000 seats? When they've already sold like 30,000 tickets to the same market for 3 other shows in a two week span? 'Wink wink' alluding to something is a viable method to use, but maybe not the smart method in this specific situation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

So how much heat do you think they would've gotten if the "North Carolina Athletic Commission" stopped the match after Jericho's arm got cut at the start? I'm picturing the crowd going berserk when they waved off the match in light of Jericho's career-threatening injury. Have Roberts make the announcement that the match is stopped, tease it out for a few minutes, then obviously do a restart and have the entire thing.

He wouldn't have gotten as much publicity, but that would've been a good idea - athletic commission stops match, Khan "bribes" them with a $100,000 donation to a local charity, commission says "what the hell, why not?" match continues.

Bad news for anyone hoping the Man of 1000 Holds would get involved in Jericho/Juvy next week: Looks like he's in a walking boot:

Old Man Haku and Old Man Konnan are both pretty adorable.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm just baffled by what they're doing here. I get booking the biggest arena in Chicago for Punk's debut, that makes sense. But they are really trying to fill that building with a 'wink wink' you know who will probably be here? Especially baffling seeing that they have a Dynamite, Rampage, and All Out back to back to back two weeks later already in Chicago, mostly sold out. Like how much money do people in Chicago have to spend on wrestling lol. They just assume 25,000 people can come up with more disposable income even after potentially buying 3 event tickets already for two weeks later. Without even giving them the specific reason to break the bank. I love AEW but this is a bit of an arrogant approach in my opinion.

100% agree with you in theory. But again referencing the above, you're asking one city to plop down money for their 4th show in a two week span without telling them why. So in this instance I don't think it's a very smart move. Sure everyone watching AEW or educated on wrestling news knows he's gonna be there. But is that enough to fill 25,000 seats? When they've already sold like 30,000 tickets to the same market for 3 other shows in a two week span? 'Wink wink' alluding to something is a viable method to use, but maybe not the smart method in this specific situation.

It’s a great problem to have but I can imagine that Tony Khan and co. are having a hard time trying to figure how to fit 2 major debuts AND build towards a PPV in the space of a month. 

If only Punk and Cabana were still buds Colt could come out next week and say something like “my pal from Chicago says he’ll see you in the ring August 20th blah blah blah” but I have no idea how they can continue the wink-wink nudge-nudge game without name dropping him this Wednesday or the following. 

EDIT; I also think if they do announce Punk beforehand then we definitely get a surprise Danielson run-in at All Out

Edited by peterien

How much did last night suck for FTR and Santana & Ortiz? They have been waiting months for their big tag match, really solid build, but it doesn't get the hot opening slot or main event status, and in fact is run shortly after a crowd killing (but not necessarily bad) finish to the elimination tag. The crowd couldn't get into it and Cash got fucked up at the end. That was so unfortunate because you know those teams have a fantastic match in them but that wasn't it. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, peterien said:

It’s a great problem to have but I can imagine that Tony Khan and co. are having a hard time trying to figure how to fit 2 major debuts AND build towards a PPV in the space of a month. 

If only Punk and Cabana were still buds Colt could come out next week and say something like “my pal from Chicago says he’ll see you in the ring August 20th blah blah blah” but I have no idea how they can continue the wink-wink nudge-nudge game without name dropping him this Wednesday or the following. 

My guess is they see how tickets do based on hints and if they're not selling well they instead pivot and make the announcement. I think y'all are out of it if you think he's wrestling on that show and not just making his first appearance for a major wrestling company in 7 and a half years. That is a massive deal especially for Chicago fans. 

The concern about them over saturating that market would be fine if they didn't just sign the city's favourite son and Bryan, as well as it's a long weekend and they'll get traveling fans. And yeah there's a very real possibility none of this matters and it's back to Jacksonville because we suck at life. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

I think saving Punk as a teased surprise is the right way to go. I understand selling the building on a "wink, wink" but it's a pretty big wink wink that they are now leaning heavily into. There's no chance in hell Darby Allin is dropping that line if CM Punk isn't coming. There's no way on God's green earth (or is it Miro's green earth now?) that Tony Khan would be willing to do that. That's almost a WWE level move. If you say Punk is gonna be there and then he shows up, yeah it's special, but come on. Imagine if AJ was announced for the Rumble all those years ago. Those moments are what us wrestling fans yearn for. That holy shit monster pop moment ala Cena at Money in the Bank.

Plus comparing that show with All Out the next week doesn't work for me, just because AEW PPV's are destination television so I'd imagine people from all over the US will be traveling there. Shit, I'd almost be willing to DRIVE 8-10 hours to Chicago for a chance at one of the biggest moments in wrestling history too if Punk makes his debut at Rampage. 

To put my two cents in on the World Title picture, I'm so split 50/50. I feel there's more story left for Hangman, absolutely, but I don't want this to be an nWo type thing where people start to get bored because Omega is always the champion. If they do indeed for the grace of god pivot to Punk or Danielson vs. Omega, I think Kenny needs to win. I don't care if you get Brock Lesnar or Kazuchika Okada - Hangman Adam Page NEEDS to be the guy to beat Kenny for the belt. Period. End of discussion. If he doesn't, I feel that burns the entire year and a half storyline.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That would be a cool side topic. Are there other teams that shifted in size and shape to the opposite of what they were before? Dynamite was at one point pretty much the bigger, more jacked guy in Bulldogs (not by much, tho), but that didn't last very long at all.

Amazingly there was a short time where Brian Cage was the smallest guy in a team. He blew up fast after this.

Edited by eikerir
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't agree at all with the idea of belting Punk right away. Absolutely later on, both he and Bryan should be champions and I think this definitely means guys like MJF that they probably had penciled in after Hangman may have to wait and those plans have changed. But moving away from Hangman dethroning Omega after such a long, calculated, and excellent build is WCW or WWE levels of stupid this company has not shown it is capable of. 

• Like 4