DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL PRESEASON

RIPPA

Carolina cut QB Will Grier.  Not surprised, but a little sad it hasn't worked out better for him.  He played his last two years of college ball at my alma mater and had two great seasons.  Heisman candidate both years.  

Wheels fell off as soon as he was drafted.  At one point, he was rated above Kyler Murrary on some draft boards.  Fell considerably in the actual draft, but getting drafted by Carolina was a decent situation for him.  He's from the area and was immensely popular.  Unfortunately, he had a terrible rookie camp and dug himself a hole he never got out of.  When Cam got hurt, Grier sat the bench behind an undrafted free agent.  He played for 3 coaches and 2 GM's in 2+ years and impressed none of them.  Played in two games in two seasons.  Was deactivated for a lot of the others, maybe most.  

Hoping he gets a look somewhere else, but not optimistic.  When you have three different coaches and can't convince any of them to put you in, your prospects for future employment in the league probably aren't great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Carolina cut QB Will Grier.  Not surprised, but a little sad it hasn't worked out better for him.  He played his last two years of college ball at my alma mater and had two great seasons.  Heisman candidate both years.  

My memory is of him being not-good for Florida so I read this line with a "WTF?!?" expression on my face.  Went and checked and, yep, he was great both years at WVU.  Did not realize that at all.

But also, yeah, he's been awful ever since.

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

My memory is of him being not-good for Florida so I read this line with a "WTF?!?" expression on my face.  Went and checked and, yep, he was great both years at WVU.  Did not realize that at all.

But also, yeah, he's been awful ever since.

He was solid at Florida, but he had that weird PED suspension that basically ruined him. I was shocked when he transferred out, but that was such an ugly period for Florida football that not terribly shocking. 

• Like 1

There were reports the last couple of days that Malcolm Butler was considering retirement as he dealt with a "personal situation"

Well the Cards today placed him on the reserve/retired list which means, in the eyes of the NFL, he is retired.

He could eventually return but who knows

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Detroit kicked both of their kickers to the curb. Also joining them is CB Nickell Robey-Coleman.

I would be willing to bet Jason Hanson could still make 90% of his kicks inside of 40 despite being 51.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am shocked - SHOCKED - that the Lions hired a batshit insane coach

You and me both.  Nothing this guy has done has inspired the slightest bit of confidence from me.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Back to cuts news: 

Those Zach Ertz rumors may be true after all. 

I refuse to believe that anyone that has been watching football closely for more than a few years thinks that Hollister isn't most likely going right back to the Bills. If a player makes the 53 man roster and then gets on IR, they can come back during the season. So, a few vets get cut, a couple hurt players make the roster, they then get put on IR, then the vets are re-signed.

The only reason that wouldn't be true in this one case is if the Bills have a trade in place for Ertz in the next two days, otherwise they are still short a TE and Hollister is coming right back.

• Like 1

Urban Meyer admitted vaccination status was a factor in deciding who to cut.  Players union wants to have a chat about that.

I don’t see much difference between this and cutting a player for being a knucklehead or because the starting qb doesn’t like him or because the guy will be a problem in the locker room jf he’s not starting.  Teams make personnel decisions for non-football reasons all the time.

• Like 4

I understand why the NFLPA has to put in a grievance, but everyone knew it would be a factor. And it should be, since availability is very important to NFL teams. Curious to see if anything comes out of it, maybe the Jags will have to lose a 7th round pick or something because Meyer continues to do and say dumb things. (I realize the Bills' GM said it too a few months ago, that was dumb as well)

• Like 1

What would be the basis for a NFLPA grievance?  Players get released frequently for nebulous reasons that probably don't have a lot to do with football.  If you can release a player because the locker room doesn't like him, or he led police on a high-speed chase while hopped on Red Bull, or just because he did something that embarrassed the organization, I don't see why you can't release a player for not being vaccinated.  At a minimum, you can cite potential unavailability - as the Jaguars did  - and claim it was just one of the factors considered. 

It's a shame some of the knucklehead unvaccinated QB's out there are too valuable to just cut.  That might get the message across a little better.  Well, Cam, but Cam seems like the sort of personality who wears out his welcome quickly when he's not winning lots of games.  And would probably be unhappy being the backup.

• Like 2

They can do so probably because they only agreed to vaccination/testing, but losing employment directly because of their status...  that's probably not part of the agreement.  (Which it wouldn't be without a LOT of negotiations.)  

Urban was just idiotic in saying what everyone else knew. Yeah, there are decisions made because of a whole range of reasons that have nothing to do with football. This is just a new one on the list. 

Now everyone has to have a fucking thousand think pieces titled "Was Cam cut because he's unvaccinated?!?" from all the worst voices in sportswriting.  Cam was cut because he was finished and was acting like he wasn't.  That's it. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I refuse to believe that anyone that has been watching football closely for more than a few years thinks that Hollister isn't most likely going right back to the Bills. If a player makes the 53 man roster and then gets on IR, they can come back during the season. So, a few vets get cut, a couple hurt players make the roster, they then get put on IR, then the vets are re-signed.

The only reason that wouldn't be true in this one case is if the Bills have a trade in place for Ertz in the next two days, otherwise they are still short a TE and Hollister is coming right back.

Well even an old dog like me can be surprised, according to Beane they aren't resigning him OR getting another TE via trade (maybe that part is misdirection). Just rolling with one healthy TE. That's a... decision. They did do the "cut vet, put someone on IR, resign vet" with another player so it is line with what Beane does, but I assumed Hollister was in the same boat.

• Like 1