DVDVR Message Board

(SPOILERS) NXT TV Taping (8/3/21) (includes 205 Live)

RIPPA

Taped 8/3/21 (Episode will air on SyFy due to Olympics)

Spoiler

205 Live (Friday, August 6) --
- NXT Cruiserweight Champion Kushida defeated Ari Sterling

NXT (Tuesday, August 3) --
- Ridge Holland (w/ Pete Dunne and Oney Lorcan) defeated Ikemen Jiro

Dunne cut a post-match promo on Ciampa and Thatcher.

- There was a backstage segment where Indi Hartwell received a drawing from Dexter Lumis. Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae weren't happy about it.

It was announced that Gargano will face Lumis later in the show. If Gargano wins, Lumis has to stop chasing after Hartwell.

- Roderick Strong defeated Bobby Fish

- The Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson & James Drake) defeated Million Dollar Champion LA Knight & Cameron Grimes

Knight walked out on Grimes during the match. Ted DiBiase returned and consoled Grimes after his loss.

- NXT Breakout Tournament first-round match: Trey Baxter defeated Joe Gacy

- Hit Row (Top Dolla & Ashante "Thee" Adonis) defeated Legado del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde) by DQ

The disqualification came when Santos Escobar used a steel chair. Legado del Fantasma then attacked NXT North American Champion Isaiah "Swerve" Scott with a chair until Hit Row recovered.

- NXT Champion Karrion Kross cut a promo, leading to Samoa Joe coming out to confront him. Joe beat up several security guards -- but Kross bailed. This may have been re-taped after the main event.

- Love Her or Lose Her match: Johnny Gargano defeated Dexter Lumis

Hartwell started to leave after the match and was upset. But she then ran in the ring and kissed Lumis. Hartwell and Lumis made out and then left together.

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wonder if if this is the end of the Way.

Probably as Theory is one of the guys who has started working dark matches and probably is being called up (As Meltzer noted in the new WON - they already had him up once and paired with Heyman, they just decided to get him more experience in NXT first)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Probably as Theory is one of the guys who has started working dark matches and probably is being called up (As Meltzer noted in the new WON - they already had him up once and paired with Heyman, they just decided to get him more experience in NXT first)

Theory wasn't paired with Heyman. He was with Vega, Andrade, & Garza. Then he was joining Rollins & Murphy only to noticeably move back down not long after SpeakingOut. 

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wonder if if this is the end of the Way.

I feel like they've been booking Gargano mostly like a babyface for a month or two and the natural conclusion of the Lumis storyline seemed to be Indi turning babyface and being paired with Lumis for a bit 

I kinda wish they'd call Lumis up just to get him out of NXT storylines.   Nothing about his character or ringwork works for me, but the company seems to see at least something in him based on how  much tv time he gets.

I expected Legado del Fantasma to turn babyface for the feud with Hit Row.  Shows how much I know.  Glad to be wrong.  Escobar seems better suited to playing the smarmy heel.

12 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I kinda wish they'd call Lumis up just to get him out of NXT storylines.   Nothing about his character or ringwork works for me, but the company seems to see at least something in him based on how  much tv time he gets.

Eh, I like Lumis. He is fine in the ring and a fun character. He is fine in NXT's mid card and well liked by the audience.

• 2 weeks later...

Holland destroyed poor Jiro. I like seeing Holland back. The eventual matches with Thatcher and Ciampa will be fun.

Hit Row vs. Legado was decent. Enjoyed the post match action.

Dug Dakota's vid laying out the reasons for her betrayal. She isn't the face in this feud in the slightest though I'm not sure they are going to convince an NXT crowd to cheer for Raquel. Kind of hope they go the heel vs. heel route.

Didn't pay too much attention to Baxter/Gacy though what I caught looked decent. Feels weird seeing a 450 stomp in WWE. 

Strong/Fish did little for me.

Loved Beth and Vic tricking Wade into completing a verse of Power of Love. Gargano/Lumis was fun with all little moments of story put in. Only disappoint was the place it went down. This really deserved to happen in front of a big Takeover audience. The pop at the end was big and would have been even bigger at a Takeover.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Strong/Fish did little for me.

Did anyone go into this thinking Fish was going to win?  One guy is being positioned as the top guy in the new heel faction, the other guy is in his mid 40's and doesn't seem to figure in the company's plans.  I kinda feel like the match had to be hurt by the outcome seeming so obvious (I haven't seen it).