DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

I was thinking for sure the rating would dip a bit with an average looking card and a not-quite-so-hot crowd. Damn. Good for them. I hope they keep it rolling. Next week's episode on paper is massive.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes, lopsided match stipulations (e.g. handicap matches) have a long history in wrestling. An opponent can’t win stipulation makes no sense and is anti-competitive making the match pointless and something that would never happen.

Anyway, I’m glad Lance Archer finally got a big win in AEW. Although I guess they probably did it so he could job to that New Japan guy. Hopefully, that happens on a NJPW show though.

Brit Baker going up against a heel was weird booking from the start and it didn’t lead to anything surprising because Nyla Rose still isn’t actually good at wrestling. Maybe they were just using it as a placeholder until one of the WWE girls non compete clauses expires but it doesn’t seem like they have a plan in place for her. And that’s a little concerning considering she’s one of their biggest stars.

I can’t really think of anyone I’d care about her facing at the ppv. Maybe if Thunder Rosa comes back…Tessa Blanchard maybe. Anyone they have signed doesn’t seem that interesting right now. No wonder the crowd is turning her face.

I don’t know who Nick Gage is but I did not find the comments that he died in a match and wanted to continue when revived or that he robbed a bank without a mask enthralling—I thought “Wow, this guy must be a fucking idiot,” some people seem excited though so I guess he has fans. I expect a train wreck of a match though.

I kind of think this show was overshadowed by all of the CM Punk and Daniel Bryan rumors swirling which is a bummer.

Having Archer to lose to Hikuleo when Hikuleo has a bunch of BC homies around (Jay, Chris Bey will likely be there, maybe GOD, and no SZKG around for Archer) makes sense.

4 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I see no problem with booking it like it's actual competition instead of sticking to an arbitrary face/heel structure and saying you can only work half the locker room. Really, just because it's heel vs heel is no reason to say it's mirror personalities facing each other.

It's not like AEW is afraid to do this.  They've run face vs face a lot.  Shida vs Tay, Darby vs Silver, Cody vs a lot of folks, Mox vs Darby.

Morality in AEW works a lot like NJPW to me, it's sliding scale.  I would have cheered Nyla over Britt though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm probably one of the few that actually likes the Painmaker gimmick, but Jericho isn't going to be able to go full Painmaker because a lot of that was the awesome shit after matches or during press conferences where he would be throwing chairs and calling scared looking people "fuckfaces." Also, part of me wonders if more people watching are aware of Gage than the Painmaker gimmick. It's a gimmick that probably few saw in NJPW. Gage has been a part of at least two big documentaries now, each of which that were seen by a lot of people (You Can't Kill David Arquette and Dark Side of the Ring). 

Painmaker Jericho fought Darby early on  in Dynamite history, so I’d say it’s 100% that more of the AEW audience is more familiar with Painmaker Jericho.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I missed the last half hour of the show because Sling fucked something up.  WTF Sling?

Man, Spears is a decent enough worker if you get past the 12 gimmicks he has.  Him and Jericho had a fun match.  Maybe it's just projection from a guy who's seen Reservoir Dogs 100 times but I hope to God, Jesus, and @Nice Guy Eddie that the little dance he did with the chair was a Mr. Blonde Dance.  If that's the case, I take back everything I ever said about him.

(Yuta's Chyron reads "Protege of the Best Friends")
(JR, a few minutes later) "WHUT is the relationship between Yuta and Orange Cassidy?!?!?"
(We all facepalm)

Yuta coming up slowly as the Best Friends' young boy is GREAT

Loved Will Hobbes' late 80s/early 90s hip hop throwback overalls

NICK FUCKIN GAGE.  If he's the 2nd labor of Jericho, what are the rest?  

LOOOOOOOL Sting and OC.  The slow-mo chest pounding, man.  That was the shit.

I really enjoyed the women's title match but Nyla seemed kind of gassed really early on, slow to get off the mat.  

Didn't care much about Kazarian vs Gallows but I really liked "oh shit things just got real" when Kenny showed up to go after Kaz.  It's like a boss in a video game showing up after you're beaten enough of his minions.

The Andrade segment was a bit of a mess.  I don't think we need Chavo in 2021.  My first thought was how that hair restoration gimmick he was pimping must not have taken.  Anyway, just keep Andrade's nameless manservant, which is so fitting since Andrade is working a rich superstar gimmick. He doesn't care what that guy's name is.

Did Darby have abs drawn on his rib tape?  Was it an upside down, two-line cross?

The FTR/PnP segment was weird.  It felt edited wrong and cut before it could get its point across effectively.

You know I noticed Shawn Spears doing the Mr. Blonde dance.

...and yes, I've done the Mr. Blonde dance in a black suit as "Stuck in the Middle With You" played over the intercom at Shop Rite 

• Like 3

Man, it's cool they broke a million viewers again. Good for them. Seriously. It's insane how loaded next week's show is. A couple of my buddies are road-tripping from Atlanta. Having an infant son makes it a tough go for me. 

Andrade just looks like a star. It boggles my mind that Vince and Nicky K couldn't figure out how to make money with that dude. I mean, it doesn't, because they can't figure out how to make money with Keith fucking Lee, but it kinda does.

When was the last time you figure a crowd was that happy to see Chavito? You can tell he loves the business, so I'm happy for him. He's also a much better foil for Andrade than Vickie. I can't decide if this Death Triangle thing means Penta and Rey are turning on PAC or if RUSH and Dragon Lee are coming in. Either way it outta be dope. 

Hangman Page is over as fuck. They have to go the distance with him and Omega. If it were me, I'd have Page go over, have Danielson congratulate the winner and offer a friendly challenge, then have Bryan go full American Dragon on Page. Page is probably the only guy an AEW crowd would boo Bryan Danielson for. Maybe Jungle Boy. 

Nyla Rose is not good at wrestling. Now that Thunder Rosa is "All Elite," I hope they pivot to her and maybe some debuting ex-WWE ladies. 

That main event was absolute lunacy.

AEW seems to have all the momentum in the world right now. Their competitor has burnt up a ton of goodwill with their audience, and every Dynamite lately has delivered surprises and great matches. It makes me happy. They don't do everything perfect, but it's easy to tell when a wrestling company doesn't actively despise its audience. Very cool.

• Like 10

I really do appreciate the ‘devils advocate’ posts by @Goodear (not meant as a slight and I don’t doubt your sincerity), it’s worthwhile looking at what could be done better and where they’re dropping the ball or building logical inconsistencies.

But when it comes to the heart rather than the head, the emotional investment with virtually all their biggest stars, building on the ‘upstart’ goodwill in a gradual but exciting way, the respect and reverence for the broader lineage of pro wrestling, the party atmosphere, the Nitro-esque pace of the show, the deliberate ‘no arseholes’ locker room policy, the lack of dogma towards a particular physique/style, the unbound enthusiasm of the booker…it all just adds up to an absolute pleasure of a ride every (for me) Thursday and a sense of real optimism for where they’re going next. I think that’s why these threads are always buzzing - I remember the post-show thread here from the NXT invasion and that sense of true unpredictability and a genuine happening, it’s a bit of that same vibe every week.

On the show, the main delivered hard without turning away this more squeamish viewer, and one of my faves Archer finally gets to win a big one (for now!) And the prospect of ZSJ in AEW gets ever closer…

Jerichos fat-boy Frankensteiner was great but I don’t think his knees would thank him after that hard landing. At least he gets to go light on the workrate (presumably) next week.

No matches with Bucks, Cody, Black, Kenny, PAC, Sting, Jungle Boy, Christian etc etc and they still pulled in over a million, must be doing something right.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Custos said:

I really do appreciate the ‘devils advocate’ posts by @Goodear (not meant as a slight and I don’t doubt your sincerity), it’s worthwhile looking at what could be done better and where they’re dropping the ball or building logical inconsistencies.

But when it comes to the heart rather than the head, the emotional investment with virtually all their biggest stars, building on the ‘upstart’ goodwill in a gradual but exciting way, the respect and reverence for the broader lineage of pro wrestling, the party atmosphere, the Nitro-esque pace of the show, the deliberate ‘no arseholes’ locker room policy, the lack of dogma towards a particular physique/style, the unbound enthusiasm of the booker…it all just adds up to an absolute pleasure of a ride every (for me) Thursday and a sense of real optimism for where they’re going next. I think that’s why these threads are always buzzing - I remember the post-show thread here from the NXT invasion and that sense of true unpredictability and a genuine happening, it’s a bit of that same vibe every week.

On the show, the main delivered hard without turning away this more squeamish viewer, and one of my faves Archer finally gets to win a big one (for now!) And the prospect of ZSJ in AEW gets ever closer…

Jerichos fat-boy Frankensteiner was great but I don’t think his knees would thank him after that hard landing. At least he gets to go light on the workrate (presumably) next week.

No matches with Bucks, Cody, Black, Kenny, PAC, Sting, Jungle Boy, Christian etc etc and they still pulled in over a million, must be doing something right.

You stated what they did right right there in your conclusion; no Bucks match. ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can I reiterate that Hangman Page may have one of my favorite story arcs in the history of pro wrestling? The level of layers to a lot of things going on in AEW is actually mind boggling, but I give Tony Khan all the credit in the world. They knew from the beginning Hangman was going to be their guy in the future. They never waivered from him, the crowd has increasingly grown to support him, Alex Reynolds is right. American Dragon or not. CM Punk or not. Hangman Page's time needs to be right now. 

And that's the beauty of AEW. We are still questioning whether Page might not win the title. The result isn't even a foregone conclusion. They play up so well to an anything can happen vibe.

• Like 5