DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder if light tubes will be okay to use next week.

Barbed wire and thumbtacks have made AEW Dynamite matches. I'd be amazed if light tubes do. I bet those won't be allowed.

11 minutes ago, Eoae said:

People seem to like the deathmatch?  Are you likely to enjoy it if you're not into deathmatch wrestling at all?  I tapped out before the main event, but I'm wondering if I should go back to it.  

Next week's show looks tremendous.  I'm far from a Nick Gage fan (don't enjoy deathmatches & have a fairly negative opinion of Gage in general), but I'm still looking forward to seeing him and Jericho go at it.

Viewer discretion advised. I enjoyed it. It's not like the worst what death matches can bring.

They did tease the pizza cutter so that's definitely getting used. Light tubes I could only see being used if the fight goes to the back. They're not using light tubes around ringside and risking people in attendance breathing that shit in.

Let me go on record as saying the cringiest thing about all of pro wrestling today is Alex Abrehantes. Him bopping around in super sparkly Ed Hardy shirts and acting like he's an equal part of Death Triangle's act instead of a fucking joke is just peak cringe. Yeah the Penta Says thing gets a reaction. But it's not worth it. He's a tool. And why is he bopping around all confident and shit? If anything he should be scared shit-less that any of those three badasses could snap on him at anytime... he's an announcer not a fighter. Be more scared you twerpy dipshit. It just sticks out so much and takes away from one of the best acts in AEW.

As for the debate on making Andrade speak English or let him speak Spanish... I'm on the side of let him speak Spanish. I actually think him slipping in and out of English sounds pretty cool and as has already been said, his body language and confidence are definitely higher when speaking his native language. My only wish is that they subtitle his live promos like they do his backstage ones because I'd like to get the full context. I disagree with comparing Andrade to Juvi and Psychosis. There have been plenty of legitimate stars in wrestling who didn't speak clear English. This isn't like an office job where you need to communicate on projects and shit. As long as you can convey your emotions and the story is told effectively through subtitles, there's no reason someone *has to* speak English.

• Like 2

Man, I love Alex Abrehantes. That dude cracks me up.

I also couldn't care less in Andrade is speaking Spanish, just don't let the dude hang out to dry while he gets "WHAT'd" into oblivion. That was just such a weird and meandering segment and then it just kind of ended.

• Like 2

Gonna sound extremely pessimistic here I know but with AEW poised to go on the promotional run of a lifetime here coming up, I can’t be the only one hoping that they or a talent don’t do something stupid in one of these death matches that would potentially fuck anything up with the network or audience. It isn’t worth it (e.g. if a fan gets injured by debri or some such). I’m good without light tubes or barbed wire spider nets or whatever. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The tough thing about Baker being a de jour baby face is that the heel side is thin, whereas there are multiple programs for her  on the other side. Where does she go next? The Bunny? Penelope? Those are JTTS’s. As opposed to Deeb, Rosa, Conti, Rico, Statlander, ....

Excellent point, but Deeb-ee-do can heel.   

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You absolutely need to be able to speak the language if you truly want to succeed. Otherwise Andrade will just be a guy that floats around. Being able to communicate with 100% of your audience is absolutely vital.

Even in the real world you are expected to be able to speak the main language of the country you work in if you actually want to get somewhere. Vince was right in trying to make Andrade get a better grasp on the English language. 

For all the love we give Andrade, he's not that different than Juvy or Psicosis.

I don’t watch WWE but wouldn’t Brock Lesnar as spoken for by Paul Heyman be an example of somebody who is wildly successful without speaking much of ‘the language’.  Beyond modern day titan sports there’s a lot more examples in the rich history of the squared circle.  Further, I’ve loved the part Spanish/part English Andrade promos, but I also love foreign language films with subs.  I see what Andrade’s doing and what Penta/Alex are doing as a new and fresh way of promoting foreign language performers.  The McMahon way of doing anyfuckingthing is outmoded. 

I dug the Death Triangle-Andrade segment, but Chavo’s ‘I’m not taking a dig’  ‘PAC only knows English’ bit was a head scratcher.  Just enjoy the dig Chavito.  Sceptical on this addition to Andrade’s entourage. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Light tubes are kinda his thing though. I bet they let people who sign waivers sit up front. 

Uhh whuttt? The front row tickets for the event next week went on sale over a month ago. So are you suggesting people who bought those seats can't use them without signing a waiver first? Or are you saying they will invalidate those tickets and give them to new people who will sign a waiver? Or that in fine print when they bought tickets over a month ago they had something in there about Nick Gage and or light tubes?

I do think it's possible they use tubes. Just being snarky because waivers don't make a lick of sense logistically lol. But AEW's normal ringside is pretty far away from front row. I think they'd be relatively safe to use a light tube in the center of the ring. Certainly not like a cabin full of them or anything. Just like one over head or one guy on the mat with a tube on his chest / top rope splash kind of spot. They should be able to pull off without any danger to the audience. But I'd say temper your expectations a bit. It certainly wont be as wild as a full on 200 light tube / panes of glass in the corners death match or whatever, ya know.

32 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Two weeks ago in Miami they were throwing tacks around, and those fans(some with kids) did get a bit of light drizzle of tacks. So don’t think they won’t use light tubes just because of fans.

My cousin confirmed tacks hit everyone in his section near the front row. Wrestling fans laughed it off of course.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The tough thing about Baker being a de jour baby face is that the heel side is thin, whereas there are multiple programs for her  on the other side. Where does she go next? The Bunny? Penelope? Those are JTTS’s. As opposed to Deeb, Rosa, Conti, Rico, Statlander, ....

You could treat her like Flair and have her work both sides, as people will cheer Yuka in a match with Britt. She's still got a lot of room for improvement in the ring though. Thunder Rosa should be champ next if they can figure out a way to get her on board more. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

You could treat her like Flair and have her work both sides, as people will cheer Yuka in a match with Britt. She's still got a lot of room for improvement in the ring though. Thunder Rosa should be champ next if they can figure out a way to get her on board more. 

I see no problem with booking it like it's actual competition instead of sticking to an arbitrary face/heel structure and saying you can only work half the locker room. Really, just because it's heel vs heel is no reason to say it's mirror personalities facing each other.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

See? People getting showered with glass will probably consider it a privilege. 

I would.

I swing violently between loving and hating Penta. Today I love him. Why? Because I can understand his Spanish! He makes simple, wrestle-centric declarations and enunciates every syllable. Then Alex Abrahantes tells me how much I correctly understood. Penta is basically my Dora the Explorer and I, like, totally gracias him for it.

Anything Andrade says? I have no freaking clue.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

If they do any serious plunder spots they can just brawl backstage and do them there. Gage is willing to do just about anything and who knows if Jericho does a Great Sasuke/Ric Flair late in life garbage worker transition.

I also realized I could go next week's show, but it's the one day of the month I have to work until 7 ?

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, tbarrie said:

But Tony Khan is okay with something as one-sided as "one guy can use a chair"?

I'm pretty sure "Shawn Spears and only Shawn Spears can use a chair" was not a pre-existing match type.

I thought, if anything, Tony was leaning to the jibes on here being made about Shawn Spears reeking of Level 1 Boss energy. That's completely what this match was, in a good way.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes, lopsided match stipulations (e.g. handicap matches) have a long history in wrestling. An opponent can’t win stipulation makes no sense and is anti-competitive making the match pointless and something that would never happen.

Fair point, and maybe "Jericho can't win" was too exaggerated. But the point was, if the heel can pick literally any stipulation, they could come up with something a lot more one-sided than "The heel is allowed to do one thing that the face isn't". And given what a contemptible little shit MJF is supposed to be, why wouldn't he?

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

People seem to like the deathmatch?  Are you likely to enjoy it if you're not into deathmatch wrestling at all?  I tapped out before the main event, but I'm wondering if I should go back to it.  

Next week's show looks tremendous.  I'm far from a Nick Gage fan (don't enjoy deathmatches & have a fairly negative opinion of Gage in general), but I'm still looking forward to seeing him and Jericho go at it.

I'm not a fan of deathmatch wrestling, but the main event this week got me excited about wrestling again. Mox was laying in the shots and Archer provided some cringe-inducing slams. There are worse things than a fork in wrestling these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

The sudden stop of Mox hitting that chair arch gave me the super douche chills.

Ruggedx2.

That was such a crazy/stupid bump.  I loved it.

I liked the death match because it stayed a crazy violent brawl instead of getting caught up with weapons or setting up spots.  Just a couple of guys beating the hell out of each other.

My wife was extremely grossed out by it (especially the fork) but couldn't stop watching it so I consider that high praise.

• Like 3

Watched it again and that main was really good, nothing overly complicated, kind of a house show death match. The only real setup time is taken by the tables which is fine because Archer has been forked to death a moment earlier, giving him time to sell. Speaking of selling I actually like each guy powering up right when you think they're down and hitting the other guy with all they have. There are some really stiff forearms from Archer and when Moxley does something bad like the Paradigm Shift in the ring that JR rightfully calls a double-arm suplex, Archer just beasts up. Mox as subtle heel using the low blow (which gets booed) and the fork is nice too. They laid this one out very well. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, I caught both guys going for the gig this time around haha

EDIT II: Also forgot to mention the plant in the crowd that Archer threw at Moxley. Wonder who that was.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3