DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

I am not a Nick Gage guy at all, but I still popped big time for that. Nick Gage vs Jericho on TV is the sort of madness I appreciate AEW bringing to the table. Jericho doing his clown make up and weeb top hat was super lame though.

Sting and OC killed me

A lot of the actual wrestling on this show was pretty bleh, with the womens match being particularly mediocre, but I had fun thanks to the angles and hot crowd.

Andrade bringing in Chavo was a good move and I think Death Triangle is an interesting first major program for him

FTR vs Santana and Ortiz is a real step up or shut up match for me. Both teams have been hyped and praised for years with very few actual memorable matches to show for it. If that isn't a barnburner, I think those trains need to go away

Main event was a fun garbage match. Didn't think Archer was particularly impressive in his big win, but it was better than their first match and I appreciate how they laid this out with Archer working from beneath in front of his home crowd leading to his victory

Orange Cassidy (w/Kris Statlander) vs. The Blade (w/The Bunny)

Honestly when you are doing top rope Doctor Bombs into the turnbuckles as a break spot in a midcard match, you've lost the plot. I just don't see the point in breaking out these death moves in a match of this level of importance and devalue things in the future. You could have hit all the same beats in a Memphis style match and been just as effective. I'm pretty sure no one else has even mentioned that spot yet so we can already see how AEW has devalued lunatic spots like it.

Frankie Kazarian vs. Doc Gallows

Well, Kaz's singles push is dead and buried. Gallows is moving around like a weeble wobble and is a low value proposition at this point. I don't see the purpose of having him on the roster as anything other than a minor roadblock for babyfaces. 

The 5 Labors of Jericho: Chapter 1: Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Spears – “Spears Can Use A Chair, Jericho Can’t”

Jericho being primarily a brawler at this stage of his career makes for bad matchups since he's shit at it. Spears was fine, best moment was when he put his knee over Jericho's arm at one point but it meant nothing in the overall scope of things. I've never seen a Nick Gage match but I have a super low tolerance for death matches so I'm likely to not enjoy the experience. Gage seems like a natural face in AEW to me, so I'm not sure why you'd tie him to MJF to work Jericho. 

IWGP United States Title Match – Texas Death Match: Jon Moxley (c) vs. Lance Archer (w/Jake “The Snake” Roberts)

Again, not a death match guy so I'm not likely to enjoy this sort of thing. I was struck that there's a lot of bald to balding white guys in black pants and black shirts on this show. 

AEW Women’s World Championship Match: Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) (w/Rebel) vs. Nyla Rose (w/Vickie Guerrero)

I skipped to the finish. Baker tapping out Nyla is the right finish. Rose still needs a character change or time off. Baker needs a veteran to drive the action which would be perfect for Deeb. AEW needed to have a secondary women's feud going on during this feud so they'd have a natural challenger lined up. 

Darby Allin vs. Wheeler Yuta

Yuta doesn't do anything to make himself stand out from the horde of other small guys with beards that are all over Dark and Elevation. When the highlight of your match with one of the most over guys on the roster is the play fight on the outside, you know you have a long way to go. I actually liked some of the roll up counters in the actual matchup but it was nothing ground breaking to justify Yuta's spot on this show.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Has Jade Cargill dropped off the face of the Earth?

She’s been doing backstage bits, but she’s still a project, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are working to get her ready for the eventual match with Britt that they keep teasing. 

If I was Tony, and she was ready, I’d look at Okada’s push as an inspiration. Put the belt on her when she first challenges, then give her some strong defenses to give her the rub before putting the belt back on Baker.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

15 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Has Jade Cargill dropped off the face of the Earth?

Mark Sterling just got her an in-person meeting with Jon Kanak from Activist Artists Management! That was on Elevation though, to be fair.

(imagine my surprise when I find out that he's a real person, that's a real management group, and they aren't lying about his title within the company)

I still find it funny that Sterling says she wants to play Storm, when they're airing on a Warner station who, y'know, owns the "competition" to Marvel.

Edited by Casey

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Thinking about the dumb Stephen Smith "Ohtani being the face of baseball is bad for the game" controversy from last week, I really hope AEW takes steps towards smashing this barrier in mainstream wrestling. Vince McMahon told Andrade to take English lessons and get back to him. Tony Khan should give Andrade the opportunity to stick that up his ass sideways. 

You absolutely need to be able to speak the language if you truly want to succeed. Otherwise Andrade will just be a guy that floats around. Being able to communicate with 100% of your audience is absolutely vital.

Even in the real world you are expected to be able to speak the main language of the country you work in if you actually want to get somewhere. Vince was right in trying to make Andrade get a better grasp on the English language. 

For all the love we give Andrade, he's not that different than Juvy or Psicosis.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I still find it funny that Sterling says she wants to play Storm, when they're airing on a Warner station who, y'know, owns the "competition" to Marvel.

Well considering that one photo of her as Storm even Warner has to admit it's the right call.  Plus that was on Youtube so they may not even know or care.

I was 20 minutes behind on live viewing so in an effort to catch up I saw Jericho/Spears which was fine but largely skipped Kaz/Gallows.  I would love to talk Metallica with Kaz and drink beer with Gallows yet seeing them wrestle each other does nothing for me.  It was also rough seeing Yuta/Darby as it really felt like a nothing match.  if the best thing about the match is Orange/Sting's antics then no thank you.  And then there's Nyla/Baker which like others said was in slow motion and just not good.  I think Nyla works best against much smaller women who are clear babyfaces (Riho for example)  So while the previous match against Britt was good it's just not an overall good matchup to me.

Of course that's not to say the show was bad but compared to last week which clicked on all cylinders last night just kept the engine running onto the next show.  Wonky matchups aside they moved the stories along and we got next week to look forward to.  Plus seeing Nick F'n Gage and a super fun main event led to pretty good times.

EDIT:  I almost forgot about the Eddie spot with Britt and Nyla.  You're not going to do that with Vickie around and I loved that she distracted the ref so Nyla could reverse it.  I understand her with Andrande didn't make sense (has since been corrected) but I like her with Nyla.  Though considering people don't like that pairing then until her contract ends I hope she finds something worthwhile to do.

EDIT 2:  I'm still tickled pink at the idea of wrestling legend Sting not only doing the Orange kicks but initiating them on top of that.  That was pure gold and I'm so sharing that with friends.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Mox and Archer hit the spot, not seen the bloke Lance is wrestling next, any matches of his I should check out?

He hasn't had too many opportunities to shine yet- but he's big and has potential.  He was a YL in BC for a bit, then worked RevPro some, and NJPW and ROH a little.

As for Baker - I suspect Yuka is her next feud, and we'll see how fan reaction is for that.  Britt's reaction is going to depend on opponent.

I guarantee Tay would get cheered over Britt (Tay is probably the 3rd biggest pure babyface in the company after Hangman and Jungle Boy).  Stat probably as well.

Edited by alstein

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well considering that one photo of her as Storm even Warner has to admit it's the right call. 

Mmmmmmmmmm…

For all the love we give Andrade, he's not that different than Juvy or Psicosis.

That would raise his stock hire to me if he started acting more like Juvi on the mic.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

I missed the last half hour of the show because Sling fucked something up.  WTF Sling?

Man, Spears is a decent enough worker if you get past the 12 gimmicks he has.  Him and Jericho had a fun match.  Maybe it's just projection from a guy who's seen Reservoir Dogs 100 times but I hope to God, Jesus, and @Nice Guy Eddie that the little dance he did with the chair was a Mr. Blonde Dance.  If that's the case, I take back everything I ever said about him.

(Yuta's Chyron reads "Protege of the Best Friends")
(JR, a few minutes later) "WHUT is the relationship between Yuta and Orange Cassidy?!?!?"
(We all facepalm)

Yuta coming up slowly as the Best Friends' young boy is GREAT

Loved Will Hobbes' late 80s/early 90s hip hop throwback overalls

NICK FUCKIN GAGE.  If he's the 2nd labor of Jericho, what are the rest?  

LOOOOOOOL Sting and OC.  The slow-mo chest pounding, man.  That was the shit.

I really enjoyed the women's title match but Nyla seemed kind of gassed really early on, slow to get off the mat.  

Didn't care much about Kazarian vs Gallows but I really liked "oh shit things just got real" when Kenny showed up to go after Kaz.  It's like a boss in a video game showing up after you're beaten enough of his minions.

The Andrade segment was a bit of a mess.  I don't think we need Chavo in 2021.  My first thought was how that hair restoration gimmick he was pimping must not have taken.  Anyway, just keep Andrade's nameless manservant, which is so fitting since Andrade is working a rich superstar gimmick. He doesn't care what that guy's name is.

Did Darby have abs drawn on his rib tape?  Was it an upside down, two-line cross?

The FTR/PnP segment was weird.  It felt edited wrong and cut before it could get its point across effectively.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Didn't care much about Kazarian vs Gallows but I really liked "oh shit things just got real" when Kenny showed up to go after Kaz.  It's like a boss in a video game showing up after you're beaten enough of his minions.

I found the booking of that match weird in the moment, but then as soon as the chaos started I realized it was Kazarian in peril designed to give the heroes somebody to rescue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

AEW needed to have a secondary women's feud going on during this feud so they'd have a natural challenger lined up. 

Yeah, I've been meaning to write a mini-rant about how the booking - or lack of booking - on the women's side is still pretty bad. Maybe I'll post that in the July thread later.

40 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, I've been meaning to write a mini-rant about how the booking - or lack of booking - on the women's side is still pretty bad. Maybe I'll post that in the July thread later.

Oh man, we litigated the women's division to hell and back in one of these threads sometime last year.  It's gotten better but yeah, the women absolutely need more.  Maybe Rampage can do that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tbarrie said:

But Tony Khan is okay with something as one-sided as "one guy can use a chair"?

I'm pretty sure "Shawn Spears and only Shawn Spears can use a chair" was not a pre-existing match type.

Yes, lopsided match stipulations (e.g. handicap matches) have a long history in wrestling. An opponent can’t win stipulation makes no sense and is anti-competitive making the match pointless and something that would never happen.

Anyway, I’m glad Lance Archer finally got a big win in AEW. Although I guess they probably did it so he could job to that New Japan guy. Hopefully, that happens on a NJPW show though.

Brit Baker going up against a heel was weird booking from the start and it didn’t lead to anything surprising because Nyla Rose still isn’t actually good at wrestling. Maybe they were just using it as a placeholder until one of the WWE girls non compete clauses expires but it doesn’t seem like they have a plan in place for her. And that’s a little concerning considering she’s one of their biggest stars.

I can’t really think of anyone I’d care about her facing at the ppv. Maybe if Thunder Rosa comes back…Tessa Blanchard maybe. Anyone they have signed doesn’t seem that interesting right now. No wonder the crowd is turning her face.

I don’t know who Nick Gage is but I did not find the comments that he died in a match and wanted to continue when revived or that he robbed a bank without a mask enthralling—I thought “Wow, this guy must be a fucking idiot,” some people seem excited though so I guess he has fans. I expect a train wreck of a match though.

I kind of think this show was overshadowed by all of the CM Punk and Daniel Bryan rumors swirling which is a bummer.

• Like 1

I'm probably one of the few that actually likes the Painmaker gimmick, but Jericho isn't going to be able to go full Painmaker because a lot of that was the awesome shit after matches or during press conferences where he would be throwing chairs and calling scared looking people "fuckfaces." Also, part of me wonders if more people watching are aware of Gage than the Painmaker gimmick. It's a gimmick that probably few saw in NJPW. Gage has been a part of at least two big documentaries now, each of which that were seen by a lot of people (You Can't Kill David Arquette and Dark Side of the Ring). 

OH FUCK! You know what this means?! If Archer holds onto that title and works some Japan shows, then he gets to scare little kids around ringside again. I love that shit. Pro wrestling is blood and scaring the shit out of kids.

• Like 3

Only issue with the Andrade segment was that it was laid out so badly, lots of start-stop and wasted time.

What’s the point of Tony “starting” an interview only to get interrupted right away?

Why have Andrade make his full entrance only to right away announce Chavo so we have to watch another full entrance? Just skip Tony altogether and introduce him at the top of the ramp and then start the segment properly.

Then he jumped back and fort from Spanish but I think he did it when he felt lost speaking English. I’d rather he just commit to speaking one for the whole promo and use Chavo or Alex to translate.

This is all coming from a native Spanish speaker btw.

Edited by eikerir

People seem to like the deathmatch?  Are you likely to enjoy it if you're not into deathmatch wrestling at all?  I tapped out before the main event, but I'm wondering if I should go back to it.  

Next week's show looks tremendous.  I'm far from a Nick Gage fan (don't enjoy deathmatches & have a fairly negative opinion of Gage in general), but I'm still looking forward to seeing him and Jericho go at it.