DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Nothing show outside the main event, but next week looks great. The ten man, FTR-P&P, and Jericho-Gage could probably all carry individual episodes. 

I hope AEW get the match timings right for that reason. Sometimes the matches can go a tad too long. The ten man can't be a rushed elimination one.

• Like 1

Nyla vs DMD was not good, and I don't feel like that was Baker's fault.

There were more than a few little flubs on commentary.

BUT

Pro Wrestling is just so great with a hot crowd!

And, now we've all seen a really good Texas Death Match.

I also got a pretty big kick (no pun intended) out of Cassidy vs Sting.

And both big surprises really landed well tonight (plus also: Hikuleo)

It's a good time to be a wrestling fan.

Edited by Gordberg
Add: Surprises
  • Like 7

Yeah, the show was really mid but the main event smoked their good not great TDM from IWGP, as JR called it. I'm happy Archer finally got a big win. Good stuff and he delivered. Next week, my goodness. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I mighta had a complaint or two about the show but I forgot them all after the main.

STOP THE GAGE~!

Good lord MJF becoming even more of a pariah for bringing that insanity into the company.......

The main was outstanding, really hoping Lance just a transitional guy for HIikuleo to bring it back to New Japan next week, especially that kind of a blood bath. I know all the forbidden door stuff feels like it's leading to Bullet Club but hey if Lance holds onto it can we get some Suzuki Gun action in there too?

Somehow they can winnow a fun as hell show out of 2 1/2 good matches (the main, the open gets the 1/2, and the Orange/Blade match which has Blade finally coming out of his shell) and a bunch of detritus. The women's match was especially bad, unfortunately. But hey, you can always fork me to a positive rating.  

We had a conversation during the whole open in the chat about how Jericho now looks like Tenryu and was using some of the same moves. If he uses a Spider Suplex on Nick Gage next week...

• Like 2

I'll probably say more later because I have thoughts (short version: loved everything especially the deathwatch, but thought Nyla/Baker underdelivered a bit, and thought there was too many shenanigans during what was an otherwise real good Blade/Cassidy match) but the thing I need to focus on right now is JR's love for Hakuloa because it was just so pure and beautiful.

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Well next week looks incredible 

Thought the same thing. This is exactly how that all started. Coach TK going to the DVDVR well for an all time board favorite angle? Let’s do it. 

Have Colonel Parker reform the Stud Stable and Meng destroy Kenny Omega in 30 seconds with a Tongan death grip to become AEW Champion. Bunkhouse Buck and the ghost of Dirty Dick Slater turn the Young Bucks into Mulkeys. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Problem with most of these 10-count style matches is that they way overdo it with too many drawn-out counts (that Edge/Orton match being one of the WOAT offenders). Sucks the energy out of the match. In both the Mox/Archer TDMs, they kept the energy going by not doing too many counts and mixing up the length.

• Like 6